CH Precision A1

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Cool, but I still prefer analog meters (for everything). :b

...And the wattage; for separate Left & Right channels, and not both together.

Degree Celsius is the proper touch though, better than Fahrenheit. ...But needs to be analog.
...Analog meters, with a needle.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
CH Precision has found an agreement with Audio Arts Inc. for products distribution in the North America area. The effective date of this partnership starts from the 8th of January 2013, at the opening of CES 2013. Both companies would like to take this opportunity to demonstrate CH Precision products in room #29-224 at the Venetian hotel, together with Zellaton loudspeakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
CH Precision has found an agreement with Audio Arts Inc. for products distribution in the North America area. The effective date of this partnership starts from the 8th of January 2013, at the opening of CES 2013. Both companies would like to take this opportunity to demonstrate CH Precision products in room #29-224 at the Venetian hotel, together with Zellaton loudspeakers.

Very cool insights! Thanks...have heard great things about CH Precision, and believe the guys behind it, Florian Cossy and Thierry Heeb, are both from Anagram so excellent pedigree.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wizard-There is no doubt that you have the most stunning pictures.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
The A1 integrates two power amplification channels and provides the option to support a single or dual input boards. In its default
configuration, the A1 is delivered with a single input board and provides following modes of operation:

• Bridged Mono Mode: In this mode, the A1 operates as a very high power mono power amplifier, where both
amplification channels are used in balanced mode for a single audio channel (bridge configuration). When configured in
Bridged Mono Mode, the A1 can deliver up to 350 W on 8 Ohm.

• Passive Bi-Amp Mode: In this mode, the A1 operates its two power amplification stages in parallel, each channel driving a
different speaker terminal with the same signal. Feedback and gain can be adjusted independently for each channel to
best match the individual speaker sections. In Passive Bi-Amp Mode, each channel delivers 100 W on 8 Ohm.

By adding a second input board, the A1 provides following additional operating modes:

• Stereo Mode: In Stereo Mode, each amplification stage is driven by its dedicated input board and the amplifier operates
as a standard stereo power amplifier. Feedback and gain settings are shared among both amplification channels and the
A1 delivers 100 W on 8 Ohm per channel.

• Active Bi-Amp Mode: As for Stereo Mode, Active Bi-Amp Mode links each amplification stage to its dedicated input board.
Feedback and gain can however be adjusted individually for each channel in order to best match the requirements of
each driver. An active cross-over is generally used to split the signal into different frequency bands between the system
controller/preamplifier (such as CH Precision's C1) and the power amplifiers. In the Active Bi-Amp Mode, the A1 delivers
100 W on 8 Ohm on each channel.

Feedback control
One of the A1's most unique features is its user controllable feedback. This feature provides control over the ratio between global
and local feedback applied in the A1's amplification stage. Global feedback takes a portion of the output signal after the power
stage and feeds it back to the input of the amplifier.

This ensures a very low output impedance and globally low distortion figures.
Local feedback, on the other hand, does not include the output stage and lets the later operate in open loop mode.
This favors small signal details and timing. As a rule of thumb, a higher ratio of global feedback is preferred for grip and control in the low
frequencies whereas a lower ratio is preferred for speed and details in the high frequencies.

This rule is however not absolute as each speaker and cross-over are different and we highly recommend to try out various settings to find the best match within your
system, especially if the A1 is driving a complete full bandwidth speaker.

In multi-amplification systems, different feedback settings are commonly used for the various speaker sections opening a whole new level of performance.
We recommend to start with pure local feedback and increase the global feedback until the bass are tight enough for your personal taste.
Feedback settings can be adjusted on the fly from the A1's front panel.

Gain control
The A1 provides an integrated gain control with a 24 dB range and 0.5 dB steps. This gain control allows for optimal matching of
speaker sensitivity, room size, and preamplifier output level.In multi-amplification systems it can be used to match the sensitivity
of the individual speaker sections. Gain is conveniently accessed by a front panel control and can be set on the fly.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

That's great news! Gideon certainly has picked a great product. I demo'ed the Genesis Dragons with the CH Precision transport/DAC in Hong Kong, and we also powered the Genesis 5.3's with the A1 amplifier in Tokyo a few weeks ago. From what I heard at those sessions, the CH Precision products are certainly among the best.

Forian and Thierry are also great guys. We had a couple of great dinners together in Tokyo. Hopefully they'll be in Vegas for the US launch - I'm just a couple of doors down.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
That's great news! Gideon certainly has picked a great product. I demo'ed the Genesis Dragons with the CH Precision transport/DAC in Hong Kong, and we also powered the Genesis 5.3's with the A1 amplifier in Tokyo a few weeks ago. From what I heard at those sessions, the CH Precision products are certainly among the best.

Forian and Thierry are also great guys. We had a couple of great dinners together in Tokyo. Hopefully they'll be in Vegas for the US launch - I'm just a couple of doors down.

I loaned the CH Precision D1 from the dealer and what a cd/sacd player! Absolutely fantastic. I will next try the C1 with a computer server to see how it goes.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Tan , agreed with u. Have it in my place for more than 2 weeks . Now I m having CH Precision music withdrawal syndrome after its taken to your place few days ago

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Time to pick up a few lottery tickets....lol!

If you win the lottery, you can have the Dragons as well :)

But seriously, the C1 with well-executed high-resolution files and a well-tuned computer server almost reaches up to the Air Force ONE.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
If you win the lottery, you can have the Dragons as well :)

But seriously, the C1 with well-executed high-resolution files and a well-tuned computer server almost reaches up to the Air Force ONE.

Your Dragons will definitely be on top of my shopping list when I have the space and I hope to have that space very soon. I will then have you design the room for me! Any advice on how to put the server together for the C1? I'm absolutely delighted to know that it can scale the height of the Air Force One.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing