Constellation Audio Centaur

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
Constellation Audio "Innards"

Is it only me or anyone else also feels disappointed by those internals ? The amps looks gorgeous on the outside, and one would expect the internals to be equally impressive, but the amp looks quite oridinaty inside. They should definately keep them dressed up :)

No, you are not the only one. I contacted CA and asked about the "reasons" the internal wiring looked like a mess (i.e. Garage-Build), --specifically the transformer wiring using off-the-Wal-Mart Shelf twisit ties ?

What's worse is the unit-to-unit inconsistencies evident in viewing other Inspiration 1.0 preamps. It would suprise me if these "variations" had no influence on unit-to-unit sound-quality or noise levels. The design/manufacturing of these preamplifiers looks cheap, hurried; not well thought out. Resorting to twist-ties to control a thick "bundle" of wires haphazzardly strewn about the power-supply section of the preamp is nothing short of laughable.

There are much more refined Hi-Fi products out there than these poorly executed builds. "Garage Build" comes to mind.

Backo NYC/SF

Oct 15, 2021
Just chiming in here but, as much as I was unimpressed with the interior of the Centaur II Stereo, it really is much more musical to me than the above mentioned amps that have obvious under-the-hood impressiveness.
It’s discouraging but the Constellation gear is pretty swell sonically.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSOphile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing