Xs preamp

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Hi Frank

What was the problem with the Ref 10 pre and phono? At 30k each I would have hoped nothing:p

Don't know. Performance degrades within 45 minutes of turn on in the preamp. I replace the 6550s and everything is fine......... for a while. I've been through 3 sets of 6550s in a month. They're sending another full set of tubes and I don't want to play any more. I've had problems in the past and don't wish to go through it again. Love the sound, don't love the headaches. My dealer is going to take them back. I'm sure he'll figure it out with the help of Audio Research. I'm not bad mouthing ARC. They're a good company and make great sounding equipment. I've just had very bad luck with them over the past 6 or 7 years.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have finally and absolutely given up on tubes. I've said it before but there will be no changing my mind ever again. The ARC Ref 10 preamp and Ref 10 Phono are going back to the dealer. The Xs Preamp has been ordered and I'll get my old XP25 back as a placeholder until the Xs Phono is available some time in 2014, performance of the Xs pre dependent of course. Should have the preamp and my repaired Xs300s back in 2-3 weeks.

sorry you have had to go through the emotional pain and angst Frank. Hopefully with the XS pre, your troubles will be over.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I would love to read an honest review of this XS pre. I don't see how they can improve on the XP-30.

I have a feeling it's like converters >$10k

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I would love to read an honest review of this XS pre. I don't see how they can improve on the XP-30.

I have a feeling it's like converters >$10k

Pass says its a bigger jump in performance from the XP30 to the Xs than from XP10 to XP30. I owned the XP30 for a couple of years so I have a good reference point.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Pass says its a bigger jump in performance from the XP30 to the Xs than from XP10 to XP30..

Where did you hear that? From the interview of Wayne, it was downplayed quite a bit. It almost sounded to me like they had to build something to match the XS amps, even if it didn't sound better.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Where did you hear that? From the interview of Wayne, it was downplayed quite a bit. It almost sounded to me like they had to build something to match the XS amps, even if it didn't sound better.

I took a leap of faith with the Xs300s and they're everything they told me they'd be. Based on that, I'll take my chances. I find it hard to believe a company with their track record is going to tarnish their very good reputation by introducing a Statement product that is little more than a cosmetic change of the XP30 at more than 2x the price. If I'm wrong, well then, Pass will have lost a customer.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Bruce, that is what some said about the XA.5 amps and yet those who have compared them to the XS amps universally agree that the latter are much better. Regarding the XP-30: perhaps the XS PRE will offer the best of what "tube magic" brings to the game and still retain all of what makes the XP-30 so special. It will be fascinating to compare the two. I look forward to Frank's comments when he has lived with the XS PRE for a while.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
So is that basically the same display as the X series? Personally I wish they'd make it a tad larger so it is more easily visible from across the room.

It's definitely a larger display than what's in the XP30 or 20, not sure about the character size though. They say it's higher definition too. I should have one by Friday so I'll let you know.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
So is that basically the same display as the X series? Personally I wish they'd make it a tad larger so it is more easily visible from across the room.

Just put the Xs Pre in my rack. It is beautifully built! Heavy as hell, 2" wider than the XPs and about twice the height. The characters on the display are larger and almost appear to be in high definition, easily visible from across the room. The pictures I've seen don't do it justice.

View attachment 12564

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Nice, how does it sound out of the box ?

Surprisingly good. It has only been on for an hour at this point and it was literally ice cold. It's only 30 degrees here right now.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Frank,

Bump for an update. How's the new Xs preamp sounding?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Hi Frank,

Bump for an update. How's the new Xs preamp sounding?

Joe, it is excellent. A true jump in performance from the XP30. More of everything including one of my very desirable traits in a component, soundstage definition. Great in combination with the Xs300. At this point, I can't imagine it getting any better.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe, it is excellent. A true jump in performance from the XP30. More of everything including one of my very desirable traits in a component, soundstage definition. Great in combination with the Xs300. At this point, I can't imagine it getting any better.

Frank,

I am so happy for you. It looks like a beautiful piece and I am glad you are enjoying it.

mdkim

Nov 7, 2012
I shouldn't have read this. To be honest though, it's exactly as Wayne and Desmond described it to be.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing