Xs preamp

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Probable availability Q3 or Q4 this year. Some changes still to be made including volume knob.

View attachment 7493

Hmmmm

Looks like Pass have borrowed one of Harry's VPI record weights and stuck it to the front panel. Surely they can do better than this.

hw-a1119.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Every successive new pass lab amp designs get worser and worser.....:confused:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011

When audio signal carrying interconnect cables come into contact with powercords, there will be perceivable dulled-in of the top end frequencies and reduction of the soundstage. Don't the same happen with interconnect coming into umbilical cords too?

I can understand the aesthetic sense of positioning the assembly of powercord feeding iec plug right at the centre of the power supply chassis, but it a going create a lot of inconvenience and require a lot more effort of arranging interconnect so that they don't come into contact. Users will have to shaft the power supply chassis + powercords&umbilical cords into one side so that it is not directly underneath where the interconnects are hanging down.

Poor design.....

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What's the point of the display reading "Pass Labs XS Pre"? Is that something the owner needs to see all the time? Hopefully it's just a temporary thing (for show purposes).

One of my main complaints with the XP-30 (when I had it) was that the display was useless from across the room. I like that they made it bigger, but if there's too much info in the panel it will still be hard to read the volume...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
When audio signal carrying interconnect cables come into contact with powercords, there will be perceivable dulled-in of the top end frequencies and reduction of the soundstage. Don't the same happen with interconnect coming into umbilical cords too?

I can understand the aesthetic sense of positioning the assembly of powercord feeding iec plug right at the centre of the power supply chassis, but it a going create a lot of inconvenience and require a lot more effort of arranging interconnect so that they don't come into contact. Users will have to shaft the power supply chassis + powercords&umbilical cords into one side so that it is not directly underneath where the interconnects are hanging down.

Poor design.....

They are possibly expecting you to set the preamp in the center of the equipment and have one signal cable going right and the other going left to the power amps near the speakers. That way NONE of the signal cords cross a power cord. Obviously, that isn't how they have it set in the photo.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Are these new silicon carbide transistors the SIT devices?

Has Pass Labs confirmed that the SIT devices are in this XS Pre prototype? Has anyone heard the pre amp? All I've seen are pictures and no comments about the sound. Finally, does anyone know what cables they were using at CES?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Has Pass Labs confirmed that the SIT devices are in this XS Pre prototype? Has anyone heard the pre amp? All I've seen are pictures and no comments about the sound. Finally, does anyone know what cables they were using at CES?

The preamp was on display, no play at CES. I am sure they are still tweaking, finalizing the final product.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I have finally and absolutely given up on tubes. I've said it before but there will be no changing my mind ever again. The ARC Ref 10 preamp and Ref 10 Phono are going back to the dealer. The Xs Preamp has been ordered and I'll get my old XP25 back as a placeholder until the Xs Phono is available some time in 2014, performance of the Xs pre dependent of course. Should have the preamp and my repaired Xs300s back in 2-3 weeks.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have finally and absolutely given up on tubes. I've said it before but there will be no changing my mind ever again. The ARC Ref 10 preamp and Ref 10 Phono are going back to the dealer. The Xs Preamp has been ordered and I'll get my old XP25 back as a placeholder until the Xs Phono is available some time in 2014, performance of the Xs pre dependent of course. Should have the preamp and my repaired Xs300s back in 2-3 weeks.

Hi Frank

What was the problem with the Ref 10 pre and phono? At 30k each I would have hoped nothing:p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing