Xs preamp

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
As you say it depends on the implementation. IMHO adding a step motor with a belt and a controller that is not powered when the volume is not being actuated, as done by manufacturers such as Atmasphere or Ayre, will not affect sound quality.

Ironically in Sammy's case it was an Ayre preamp that he claimed was degrading the sound.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Sound quality noticeably changed using the remote control only. Using main unit controls seem to have no change. It does sound better with the display turned off.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sound quality noticeably changed using the remote control only. Using main unit controls seem have no change. It does sound better with the display turned off.

Can you disable the remote system in the KR-X preamplifier?

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
For critical listening sessions , remote control was just not used. Don't know if you can disable the remote function on this preamp, We just left it in the cabinet drawer .

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
For critical listening sessions , remote control was just not used. Don't know if you can disable the remote function on this preamp, We just left it in the cabinet drawer .

And you are saying that taking the remote out of the drawer and pressing the volume keys is different from changing the volume manually?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The only possible explanation is that after accepting a code the remote control receive circuit becomes active for a little time before idling - but once this time ends the sound should be similar to changing the volume manually. The control of the volume of the KR-X is all electronic using encoders - there is no manual direct control of the high quality internal mechanical rotary attenuators.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
A lot. It's like the XP-25 on steroids. Detail is incredible all throughout. Bass is deeper and clearer. Layers of separation for complex music is fantastic. As you would expect for something that costs 3-4x.

That said, I'm selling all my Pass XS gear (I own the XS-150's as well) as I want to try tubes and can't afford to keep everything.

Ugh - Oh..... Flying into Boston for vacation, and better put the hammer down to get to Maine to avoid the gravitational pull towards Goodwins and this XS gear. I can just hear the wife "Why are we turning here, dont we have to catch the boat to the island?"

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
Sound Insight my NY dealer just received an XS pre, it will be part of the system we will be exhibiting at the upcoming Capital Audiofest in November. http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/
Cant wait to hear it at his home, he says it blows away anything he has had in his system to date.

IMG_0735.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing