Xs preamp

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Thank you Frank! I appreciate your findings.

And Joe, Pass goes great with Sonus Faber! How can you not have a Pass amp or pre amp in that stable of your's?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hahahahahahaha

Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind :)

XP-30 plus XA-60.5's could be fun on the Strads :cool:

And Joe, Pass goes great with Sonus Faber! How can you not have a Pass amp or pre amp in that stable of your's?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Hahahahahahaha

Don't think that hasn't crossed my mind :)

XP-30 plus XA-60.5's could be fun on the Strads :cool:

I think you'd need a little more power.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I had them side by side.

The Xs is significantly better but it also depends on the rest of your system. When I listened to the Xs Pre amp and XP30 with XA100.5s, the differences were there but not as clearly as when the Xs300s were on the other end.

The Xs Pre amp is more open and natural. Better bass definition. The XP30 sounds like it has a little glare in the midrange and highs in comparison.
Soundstage is better defined as in your ability to hear individual players in their own space on a real or imaginary stage is further enhanced with the Xs in comparison to the XP30. I'm in my office right now. Can't remember everything.

As always, everyone has an opinion. What's important to me or what I see as being worth the extra money might not be as important to someone else.
The XP30 is an excellent preamp but the Xs is better in every regard. Is it worth more than double the price of the XP30?

Oh, somehow I thought you had went from the XP-30 to ARC and then to the XS-pre. Didn't realize you had them both at the same time.

At some point I hope to do my own side-by-side comparison. If the XS has less glare than the XP-30 it would make me very happy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think I'd be okay with that. I don't play very loud and the Strads are 92 dB efficient.

In my own experience, adding a huge amount of power behind the Strads comes thru even at low volumes. It is the bass punch and power even at low levels...it is the exceptional clarity that comes from giving the Strads unlimited juice to keep entire musical sections clear, effortless, delineated, etc...It really does respond well to lots of power. I cannot say I gave it the world's most powerful amp or anything, but I have heard it with many amps, and the Gryphon Antileon did make a remarkable change in how it presented itself...again, even at low volumes.

It suddenly seems to have greater composure during complex passages. my two cents...

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Oh, somehow I thought you had went from the XP-30 to ARC and then to the XS-pre. Didn't realize you had them both at the same time.

At some point I hope to do my own side-by-side comparison. If the XS has less glare than the XP-30 it would make me very happy.

Had the ARC too. I'm a pre amp hog.
My dealer is a Pass and ARC dealer.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks Lloyd,

I remember you and, I think, others saying Strads benefit from a little juice.

In my own experience, adding a huge amount of power behind the Strads comes thru even at low volumes. It is the bass punch and power even at low levels...it is the exceptional clarity that comes from giving the Strads unlimited juice to keep entire musical sections clear, effortless, delineated, etc...It really does respond well to lots of power. I cannot say I gave it the world's most powerful amp or anything, but I have heard it with many amps, and the Gryphon Antileon did make a remarkable change in how it presented itself...again, even at low volumes.

It suddenly seems to have greater composure during complex passages. my two cents...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd,

I remember you and, I think, others saying Strads benefit from a little juice.

Hey Joe,

Yes, I have said this a few times...but in your case, I think you most likely have one of the all-time great pairings (your full CJ setup). Certainly, it is a very high bar of performance you will set there when the Strads arrive.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am sorry for this going off topic and I'll respond appropriately if necessary in another thread.

Lloyd,

The CJ will be outstanding, for tubes. I want the right solid state for more casual listening. I hate to see all those tubes glowing for background music :).

Hey Joe,

Yes, I have said this a few times...but in your case, I think you most likely have one of the all-time great pairings (your full CJ setup). Certainly, it is a very high bar of performance you will set there when the Strads arrive.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Christian,

Mark at Reno Hi Fi can offer some very competitive pricing with a 2 week return option.

Suggest you contact him on XS pre options.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yup..bought all my Pass gear through him. I will be talking to him soon about the XS pre.

I hope you audition it. Would love to know your thoughts/preferences vs the XP-30.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Given the current "level" of your system, I'm not sure if that's possible.

Curious as to your thoughts should you choose to pursue.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Just ordered an XS Preamp today. Should be here by Friday. I was able to trade in both my XP-30 and XP-25. It is a lightly used demo and comes with a full new 3 year warranty. I am excited I finally made a preamp decision ! Now the system is done from a component standpoint anyway...LOL

Attachments

• xs-preamp-with-remote__large.jpg
    xs-preamp-with-remote__large.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 281
  • xs-preamp-rear__large.jpg
    xs-preamp-rear__large.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 289

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing