Xs preamp

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Xs Phono is due out in September according to Pass.

A better chassis that is less susceptible to magnetic fields, noise, RFI etc. At least 3 inputs, a choice of zero capacitance and 100k loading would be really nice to have.

better sound is a given :D

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The aluminum chassis itself is a source of much of the opposing magnetic field.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I understand this is very system-dependant, and even location-dependant (where your house is, and where you place the components too), but at my place, I couldn't get the hum to go away, no matter what I did.

I live in a very crowded region, with lots of buildings (and antennae), so most likely there are tons of interference around me. But since the hum improved when I placed the power supply as far away from the main piece as possible, it seemed to me that the isolation between the two components could be improved.

alexandre

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
As stated before, aluminum's permeability is the same as air's, virtually =1. Hence the hum depending on the surrounding environment. A more appropriate material would be carbon stainless steel (perm=100); aluminum is just a cost cutting measure.

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
I have a meter I use whenever I have a question on placement of components, in my system. It is the "Trifield" meter. I've found it very useful for measuring magnetic field radiation, especially for gear with large transformers. I have (2) Platinum power line conditioners. These each have a 2.5 KV transformer. I used to just place one on the bottom of my equipment rack.
When I got this meter, I measured the magnetic field above the conditioner. It measured 100 milligauss directly above the conditioner, and the measurement dropped off slowly until past 24" above the conditioner,
where it dropped off to almost zero milligauss. All I do now is place the Platinum power next to my rack, the magnetic field is not present off to the side of the conditioner.....
I should mention this meter became very popular for consumers concerned about electric radiation from "Smart" electric meters, etc. I payed $100.00 for mine. Here's a link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tri...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have a meter I use whenever I have a question on placement of components, in my system. It is the "Trifield" meter. I've found it very useful for measuring magnetic field radiation, especially for gear with large transformers. I have (2) Platinum power line conditioners. These each have a 2.5 KV transformer. I used to just place one on the bottom of my equipment rack.
When I got this meter, I measured the magnetic field above the conditioner. It measured 100 milligauss directly above the conditioner, and the measurement dropped off slowly until past 24" above the conditioner,
where it dropped off to almost zero milligauss. All I do now is place the Platinum power next to my rack, the magnetic field is not present off to the side of the conditioner.....
I should mention this meter became very popular for consumers concerned about electric radiation from "Smart" electric meters, etc. I payed $100.00 for mine. Here's a link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tri...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

What does that have to do with the XS Pre ? Do you have one ?

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
What does that have to do with the XS Pre ? Do you have one ?

I have the XP-30. The posts above mine are discussing the issues with aluminum chassis & remote & separate power supplies.
I'm giving my experience dealing with both.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have the XP-30. The posts above mine are discussing the issues with aluminum chassis & remote & separate power supplies.
I'm giving my experience dealing with both.

Okay, I mis-understood. The XS pre will be replacing my XP-30 in the not too distant future. Then I am done pretty much ;)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Has anyone actually compared the Xs to the XP-30 (side by side)? I had and LOVED the XP-30 but would love to experience the the Xs preamp.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Has anyone actually compared the Xs to the XP-30 (side by side)? I had and LOVED the XP-30 but would love to experience the the Xs preamp.

What a coincidence, I was thinking of asking this same question.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
What a coincidence, I was thinking of asking this same question.

Great minds think alike. :)

Sorry Joe, but I don't understand what you mean. What does "I had and LOVED the XP-30" mean?

Hi Peter,

I owned the XP-30 and sold it. I am sorry that I don't have it now. It's a great preamp. I was thinking about getting the Xs, but price-wise not sure I could make it work for me at this point. If the Xs is truly head and shoulders above the XP-30 then I may order one.

Can someone tell me the retail price on the Xs?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If the Xs is truly head and shoulders above the XP-30 then I may order one.

You should have kept the XP-30.... I highly doubt it's "head and shoulders above the XP-30". I'm not saying it might be slightly better, but it would have to be a wide margin better for me to change. Now if it included a phono and/or tape stage.... then all bets are off!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I totally agree Bruce. In hindsight it was a big mistake for me.

You should have kept the XP-30.... I highly doubt it's "head and shoulders above the XP-30". I'm not saying it might be slightly better, but it would have to be a wide margin better for me to change.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

I had them side by side.

The Xs is significantly better but it also depends on the rest of your system. When I listened to the Xs Pre amp and XP30 with XA100.5s, the differences were there but not as clearly as when the Xs300s were on the other end.

The Xs Pre amp is more open and natural. Better bass definition. The XP30 sounds like it has a little glare in the midrange and highs in comparison.
Soundstage is better defined as in your ability to hear individual players in their own space on a real or imaginary stage is further enhanced with the Xs in comparison to the XP30. I'm in my office right now. Can't remember everything.

As always, everyone has an opinion. What's important to me or what I see as being worth the extra money might not be as important to someone else.
The XP30 is an excellent preamp but the Xs is better in every regard. Is it worth more than double the price of the XP30?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing