Xs preamp

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

Pass Labs' new Xs Preamplifier is the flagship complement to the Xs-300 and Xs-150 amplifiers. It applies lessons learnt from the XP-30 3-chassis reference and Xs amplifiers. The Xs Preamp is quieter than the XP-30 and has an even more improved power supply. In appearance it resembles the Xs amps and features two large chassis with true dual-mono topology.

Its circuit boards are fabricated from materials sourced from the military and high-speed computer sectors. Each channel's power supply with 100,000uF capacitance is optimized for low noise. Newly available silicon-carbide transistors drop noise below the XP-30. The high-bias class A gain stages employ a direct-coupled ultra-symmetric path, auto bias and DC compensation. An extra large high-definition dimmable 20-character display is easy to read.

The Xs Preamp comes with a remote control. Its rear panel includes 6 inputs, a tape loop, dual-power input connections, dual balanced outputs and variable outputs for bi-amping and use with multi-room systems.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wizard , I am very happy to see your here - we have been missing your posts!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I imagine that the Xs preamp will be stunning. My XP-30 is amazing.

Wizard,

Do you have any idea of a release date?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Are these new silicon carbide transistors the SIT devices?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
i'm surprised that it won't be 3 units like the xp-30. Separate gain stages and the controller/power supply. I do know the price it will be....~$32k.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
i'm surprised that it won't be 3 units like the xp-30. Separate gain stages and the controller/power supply. I do know the price it will be....~$32k.

Wow!

Twice the price of the XP-30. Holy cow! When will it end?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Wow!

The xp-30 is a sonic bargain considering it competes well with the top line preamps like Ypsilon, that cost twice as much. For almost double the price, on should expect the XS to be the best available at any price.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I imagine that the Xs preamp will be stunning. My XP-30 is amazing.

Wizard,

Do you have any idea of a release date?

You gonna place a pre-order??????;)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Wow!

If the performance delta between the XS preamp and XP30 is similar to the sonic improvements made in the XS amp vs the XA amp, the cost increase will be acceptable in my opinion.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If the performance delta between the XS preamp and XP30 is similar to the sonic improvements made in the XS amp vs the XA amp, the cost increase will be acceptable in my opinion.

agreed. Hard to imagine improving much on the XP-30...The good thing, we will be able to demo side by side when it comes available depending on your dealer policy. I know with Reno HiFi, I will be able to get the XS home and compare it against the XP before deciding whether to upgrade or not.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
agreed. Hard to imagine improving much on the XP-30...The good thing, we will be able to demo side by side when it comes available depending on your dealer policy. I know with Reno HiFi, I will be able to get the XS home and compare it against the XP before deciding whether to upgrade or not.

That's why I'm gonna let you be the guinea pig.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
You gonna place a pre-order??????;)

I'd love to order one. My Dartzeel preamp is on its way. My XP30 is all but sold. If I decide to sell the VAC, the Xs preamp will not be far behind. Nothing will replace my Dartzeel gear. The new Xs pre will be for some as yet to be determined amp(s).

:)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

My dealer....guess he was off. This is probably the prototype....it will be interesting to see when it will be available for sale. I don't understand why they are putting both gain stages in the same chassis. You can't get more balanced than having separate gain stage chassis like the XP-30.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
My dealer....guess he was off. This is probably the prototype....it will be interesting to see when it will be available for sale. I don't understand why they are putting both gain stages in the same chassis. You can't get more balanced than having separate gain stage chassis like the XP-30.

This will take some careful evaluation. I can't imagine it getting much better than what I'm listening to now. The XP30 is a really excellent preamp and if anything, under rated in terms of today's top preamps.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Probable availability Q3 or Q4 this year. Some changes still to be made including volume knob.

View attachment 7493

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing