Xs preamp

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I asked that 'question' because there really aren't tubes to be rolled so to speak. It's like going into a Chinese barber shop and picking out the bowl you want used to cut your hair.

Wow! That comment is wrong on so many levels.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
IMO - the stock tubes are not the best sounding. I transformed my REF2SE with 6H30P-DR's and a Winged-C 6550. The stock tubes won't see the light of day again. The sound is still detailed, fast and dynamic, but with a much greater since of dimensionality and simply, fuller and richer.

I seriously believe that after rolling the tubes, the ARC REF2SE could take on any and all phono stages.

Maybe what I heard was with regard to their power amps, not source components.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Newer ARC preamps use the 6H30 tube and there just aren't many choices for tube rolling. It's not like 6922, 12AU7, or 12AX7 based preamps where you have a thousand choices for NOS tubes to try.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Newer ARC preamps use the 6H30 tube and there just aren't many choices for tube rolling. It's not like 6922, 12AU7, or 12AX7 based preamps where you have a thousand choices for NOS tubes to try.

Mike is right about the DR version. They'll set you back $150 or so a tube.

Socfan12

May 5, 2013
I asked that 'question' because there really aren't tubes to be rolled so to speak. It's like going into a Chinese barber shop and picking out the bowl you want used to cut your hair.

Wow! That comment is wrong on so many levels.

Only if you have no sense of humor. If Gary says he is offended I will apologize.

I'm not Gary but I don't find anything humorous with this comment. I can't believe the moderators find this comment acceptable. That's the f*ckin' joke.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My the Christmas rush seems to have a lot of people on edge. Take it easy and enjoy the Holidays guys. Do remember that forum communication is less than perfect. If the mod team didn't allow some leeway for misunderstandings the forum would be a much less interesting place (read boring). That said, smileys go a long ways in showing when we're kidding and we're not, so please use them. That's what they are for. A friendly reminder for those with tongue and cheek/dry humor types. You know who you are. They make up at least to some degree for the lack of vocal tone and body language. While we all work to make the forum a respectful and courteous place, there is a fine line between doing that and making things so strict that it might hinder your choice of words to the point that each one of us can't just open up in a casual manner. We are also a team and each member of the team has varying sensitivity levels that range from very liberal to very conservative. Steve and Amir DO NOT and have no desire to act in autocratic ways. Consensus is sought within the team before any major action is performed. Do rest assured that individually and collectively we are all trying our best to define and walk that fine line but please do appreciate that it isn't as easy as it might seem.

Okay, mod hat off. 6H30s do come in very few varieties. Some do ship with DRs AFAIK and while some might actually prefer the plain jane super tubes, personally I think it is sideways at best. Some components respond more to rolling than others. My personal general rule is, if I don't already like the component stock, I'll pass. If I do and just want to tailor the sound A BIT then I roll away. The former is lipstick on a pig, the latter is the the right lipstick on Angelina Jolie. :D

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
There is much information in their website. Does this pre allow different gain offset with different inputs. This is very useful with different soureces.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
There is much information in their website. Does this pre allow different gain offset with different inputs. This is very useful with different soureces.

No, you can't

vassago

Dec 1, 2011
denmark
Joe, it is excellent. A true jump in performance from the XP30. More of everything including one of my very desirable traits in a component, soundstage definition. Great in combination with the Xs300. At this point, I can't imagine it getting any better.

He

Yes XS is much better than XP30.

But I got in a Mod wright 36.5DM with gz34 mullard and can say it is so clear and open in the sound, and the sound stages is so unbelievable.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Christian,

I'd love your opinion of the Xs preamp. I loved my XP-30 and still miss it to this day. The Xs is something I'd love hear and possibly own.

The Pass site has some internal pics. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Apparently Pass is protective of the gain stage, in particular the volume control, so no pics of those insides. Perhaps when I get mine, I will open up the gain stage and snap a few pics.
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/pass-xs-preamp-and-xs-300-mono-power-amplifiers/

image.jpg
The Xs Preamp’s Class-A gain stage circuitry, the preamp’s electronic heart, harnesses a direct-coupled, ultra-symmetric gain path and auto-bias to maximize and sustain its sonic impact.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Xs Phono is due out in September according to Pass.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing