Is fresh food more nutritious?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Fresh food obviously tastes better. Is fresh food more nutritious or better for you?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Here's a few thoughts:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1479057...its-are-surprisingly-nutritious/#.UOh7FRzF_k0

http://voices.yahoo.com/freeze-dried-fruit-vs-fresh-fruit-which-better-46892.html

There is a slight reduction in Vitamin C levels after freeze-drying, which may be linked to the removal of water from foods. (This is why we have no freeze-dried citrus fruit, as its water content is too high to effectively freeze dry it.) Since Vitamin C is water soluble, it follows that it may be reduced when the water goes.

The points about spoilage and degradation are important. It's extremely easy to eat a more healthy diet when you can carry fruit with you at work, etc. with no fear of spoilage. I keep a baggie of fruit in my lab coat pocket at work and don't worry if I forget about it for a week or a month. It's good for a year after removal from the can. None of this should be taken to mean that one should eliminate fresh foods from their diet. However, the availability of shelf-stable foods that have high nutritional content is a useful augmentation to those fresh foods.

Disclaimer: I represent a major supplier of freeze-dried food, Shelf Reliance. We have used these foods (meat, dairy, vegetables, fruit, and staple items) in our home and trust them to provide good nutrition to our family. When the "dairy cliff" threatened, one friend asked what we'd do when milk hit $8.00 per gallon. I said, "I have about 200 gallons of milk at home that I can use over the next 25 years, no problem."

Feel free to PM for more info.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing