Nightlord's setups

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
The red carpet is usually the one outside, before you enter the main Theater venue. :D

...You know, Oscars' night in Hollywood.

* It's fine, I was only 'flirting' with the floor. ...I would respect my wife's choice too,
because after all it is her Cinema home theater too, and she has to be happy in it. :b

The carpet outside is would be green... called "lawn" :cool:

Yes, when she does take an interest it should be heard, so it becomes her's as much as possible, so I don't get to hear "your cinema".

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Last spotlights added + side diffusors. Missing are drapes and that the rear section has currently no planned diffusion or dampening. That was to be decided once done and the flutter echo could be measured.

Oh, and there's no visible hole in the wall for the projector to shoot though.

Now, this is still what was planned before I noticed the dampening towards the exterior was insufficient, so from here on I'm planning to use this model to try different solutions and what that will do to the interior. Had that not happened, I would probably have been able to show the finished job next fall, now I don't know when, but I wasn't planning a grand opening until 2017 anyway, so... :cool:

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Here's an impossible shot from behind given the back wall, but for showing off the (non-rebuild) Vision for 2017:

Probably aim for black drapes, but they don't trace as nicely (or at least I have not yet found the right settings for black velvet)...

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Thanks! :)

Here's the latest update, managed to conjure up better textures for both drapes and chairs and gone on to model the back room too:

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Spring is here, so tearing the old walls have been begun... but it'll probably be a year or more until I get back to a point of looking at finishing touches like wall/ceiling diffusion, carpet and black paint...

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Everything proceeding slowly but according to plan, frontmost 60% being reconstructed this year and that part is starting to look like a room again, but 14" narrower...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow! Now that is some serious dedication! Good luck with the construction and enjoying seeing it take shape in your photos. Thanks for posting.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Thanks guys!

Test played the fronts with subs last night at higher volumes than I'd really want to listen to the music and the results were better than I had dared to hope for. It does still leak in the part I haven't handled, but it seems quite a bit less than how it leaked in the front part. Main issue is the door to the exterior, so I will add some drywall to the inside of it and build a seal. But as I will be building new inner walls there next year, I'm definitely considering adding a soundproofed inner door as well.

On another note... if sounded spectacularly good even in such a reverberant space as the naked walls pose. And it will only get better! :p

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The door is the killer as far as sound leak. My theater is fully insulated but I have yet to put the door seal on and boy so much leaks through the bottom of the door. Plan to put a pop down seal in the door but just been too lazy to do it :).

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Have put one layer drywall on it now, not caulked yet. I agree, that made it much more audible that the sound leak was concentrated around the edges. Door is vibrating more than the surroundings too, so adding more weight will be a good thing. And then I have to seal it better, question is if I can really do that before that wall comes down next spring, though.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Nothing really new to show, but don't take it that's nothing is happening. Have spent the winter making diffusors and now that spring is here, the old ceiling and walls and insulation are close to all torn down - so I can treat this part (about 3/7ths) of the room identical to what's already been shown. With spring arriving earlier and being more prepared and knowing about what to do, I'm about 1½ months ahead compared to last year at the moment. Given that it is a smaller portion, I would expect to creep further ahead on all stages. So with some luck - some cinema come fall (even if it won't be fully completed state).

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
All the major job - wall & ceiling is done. Possibly I will double the top on the back platform later on. (And add some trim around the attic hatch as you can see below)
Currently putting my painters' hat on, doing taping and mudding now.

Not that long until I can start painting this half of the room black too. :)

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
System back up and running. Still more things to move out, fiddle with and upgrade, of course.

Here's a reverse shot from today. 28mm lens not quite up to the task of covering the whole width,

And from way back too:

Carpet is red too, btw.

Here's the three speakers that play the right surround channel (SR) on their soft feet (possibly not done with these speakers before):

Roughly 2½ years to get here...

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Got fed up with a too crowded normal stereo bench and stacked gear, so I made my own rack (on wheels):

Five ultra-silent Noctua 140mm computer fans on the back to improve ventilation/cooling.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing