Any updates to the Berkeley Alpha DAC Series 2 coming ? ...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
A friend is thinking of buying one. Is it ok to buy now, or should he wait until after CES? Thanks.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks Amir. Thanks Opus.

It's up to my friend now. Thank you for all the help.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think I will be ordering one today as well. Can't beat it for the price (even if it was tripple) and the matching Alpha USB SPDIF converter takes it to an entirely different league.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I think I will be ordering one today as well. Can't beat it for the price (even if it was tripple) and the matching Alpha USB SPDIF converter takes it to an entirely different league.

Awesome! All the reviews have been stellar.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Last time I asked it did not have CE certification and could not be exported to Europe. Did they already get it?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Last time I asked it did not have CE certification and could not be exported to Europe. Did they already get it?

The only way is to get one via Switzerland or Croatia (or directly from the US).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The only way is to get one via Switzerland or Croatia (or directly from the US).

This can be very risky. If you ever need service you can not send it back to be repaired, as customs will probably seize it when being returned. They are very strict on the CE certification.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
I had material going back to USA, UK and even France for repair without having any problem with custom what so ever!
The only thing is you need to make the proper paper going out of your country with serial number and statement going back to manufacturer for repair!
I done that with cartridge going to the Netherlands without problem the cartridge being made in Japan

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Micro's comment relates to the presumed lack of EC certification of the Alpha; I though they had gotten it, but apparently not; there were RoHS issues with the solder they use in the Alpha years ago, and it sounds like they stuck with what they use in the US because of how the solder sounds (yes, the Berkeley folks pay attention to that kind of detail).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
This can be very risky. If you ever need service you can not send it back to be repaired, as customs will probably seize it when being returned. They are very strict on the CE certification.

Get yourself a CE sticker (they come in various sizes, on transparent foil, aluminium foil etc) and put one on the back panel, another one on the carton, and you are done ;)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i shipped a used BADA ser I to Russia last month, no problems on either side of the transaction. the Ser II has been out for a few years, is the OP suggesting a ser III or all-new DAC from Berkeley?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
i shipped a used BADA ser I to Russia last month, no problems on either side of the transaction. the Ser II has been out for a few years, is the OP suggesting a ser III or all-new DAC from Berkeley?

I have no knowledge of any updates coming. I was just asking precisely because it has been out for a while. My friend would not like it if he bought one and the next week or two another version pops up.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have no knowledge of any updates coming. I was just asking precisely because it has been out for a while. My friend would not like it if he bought one and the next week or two another version pops up.

Tell your friend to buy a Playback Designs then.
They are upgradable via USB
They do DSD
You don't need to buy a separate interface for USB
I compared both side by side and feel the Playback Designs sounds closer to the source.
It also does every available PCM rate.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
They do DSD
I compared both side by side and feel the Playback Designs sounds closer to the source.

Hi Bruce,

I appreciate the advice. My friend in not computer savvy to do audio from his computer at this point. Maybe in the future. He is looking for a DAC that has a great volume control to save him from buying/using a preamp. He is using a Bel Canto (two versions back) now, but wants to move up the ladder dac-wise.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
They do DSD

I assume the Playback Designs is much more expensive than the Berkeley Alpha?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing