Jack Reacher

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
First off I must admit that I am a huge Lee Child fan and his Jack Reacher novels so I have read almost all of them and I must say that there isn't a bad one, only some better than others. I read the novel One Shot which formed the basis of the story. The novel was very, very good. The movie however was pure unadulterated crap with Tom Cruise playing Reacher. Those who read the novels know that reacher is a lug of a guy at 6'5" and 250 lbs of solid muscle. Go figure that Tom Cruise's production company now owns the rights to these novels and as (bad) luck would have it we now get to see a 50yo Cruise at 5'6" playing the role of Jack reacher. The story in the movie is only a shadow of the original novel and leaves out so many important details such as all of the history of the Russian mafia run by the Zek who was pure evil in the novel. In the movie we see the Zek for perhaps 3-5 minutes only. The film had some moments but honestly these were few and far between. The movie is 128 minutes and could have been done in 90 minutes but the reality is that the butchered the story and had a wannabe as Jack Reacher.

All I can say is that it is a "B" rental to save for a rainy Saturday afternoon. If this character (sic Reacher) is to be a powerhouse film series based on the novels Tom Cruise needs to find another Jack Reacher as he is pathetic at trying to be Reacher.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Steve-I agree 100% They should have found an actor that would do the character justice and Tom Cruise is a puny fart and is laughable as portraying Jack Reacher. I can't imagine Lee Childs is happy with the choice of Cruise to play the character he created.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Lee Child had a 10 second cameo in the film and he was smiling all the way to the bank

The movie was a sham even though my wife liked it.

All you have to do is read one Reacher novel before you see the film. Cruise tries to play a macho character with a few typical Reacher lines to his foes but long and short of it he is a laugh in the role

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
6'5" to 5'6"?

Figure it might have been a transposition error? :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You know a movie is bad when even the trailer sucks! :) If they can't find good shots to put in the advertisement, then there is little hope for the real thing.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Kind of like watching a commercial for a restaurant and they can't make the food look good on TV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing