What's making the rounds tonight?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
On this hot night (forget about critical listening with every AC unit know to mankind on), it's been a Connoisseur Society type of night...first Viva Manitas de Plata followed by Ivan Moravec doing Chopin's Ballades. Wow what playing! If today's recordings only sounded 1/10 as good!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
On this hot night (forget about critical listening with every AC unit know to mankind on), it's been a Connoisseur Society type of night...first Viva Manitas de Plata followed by Ivan Moravec doing Chopin's Ballades. Wow what playing! If today's recordings only sounded 1/10 as good!

Myles

Some of them do ... Some of them are superior ...

I was on a different trip .. Listening to Led Zeppelin Remasters CD the UK import version.. Not that I know if it sounds better than the Domestic. I bought it when I was down there ...
To me the greatest Rock Group ever ...

at Amazon

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles

I was on a different trip .. Listening to Led Zeppelin Remasters CD the UK import version.. Not that I know if it sounds better than the Domestic. I bought it when I was down there ...
To me the greatest Rock Group ever ...

at Amazon

Have you heard the recordings I referred to?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I had the Moravec on Supraphon, now that you remind me of him... I'll get the CD ... Thanks .. Do you listen to Rock ... Led is real ... gooood..

Frantz

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I had the Moravec on Supraphon, now that you remind me of him... I'll get the CD ... Thanks .. Do you listen to Rock ... Led is real ... gooood..

Frantz

Playing aside, the Supraphons are an order of magnitude down in sound quality eg. not even in the same ballpark as the Connoisseur Society releases. If you want Moravec, I think the CS were released on another label a couple of years ago by Alan Silver and they got pretty good reviews. Alan and David (who I think also did the live Bill Evans sessions at the VV but have been unable to confirm this) used real state of the art gear back then including a modded Ampex R2R run at 30 ips. Now I know what people say about the low end response when recording at 30 ips-but listen to this and tell me what you hear. Especially since he plays a Bosendorfer which I think extends to 28 Hz!

Yes I listen to rock but the only LZ have at present are the CR reissues-of which I have mixed feelings. But LZ II was one of the first three albums ever bought (the others were Black Sabbath: Parnoid and Jethro Tull: Benefit) back in my Jr. year of HS.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I haven't heard the Connoisseur Society re-issues. Are they on CD ? I learned recently (a post in a forum) that 30 ips tended to be weak in the bass, I wasn't aware of this phenomenon and frankly I can't understand why... I would think however that if the effect is consistent, a judicious use of EQ to boost the low-end might have been applied in Mastering ...

The Led Zeppelin Remasters import CDs (2) are good IMO.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I haven't heard the Connoisseur Society re-issues. Are they on CD ? I learned recently (a post in a forum) that 30 ips tended to be weak in the bass, I wasn't aware of this phenomenon and frankly I can't understand why... I would think however that if the effect is consistent, a judicious use of EQ to boost the low-end might have been applied in Mastering ...

The Led Zeppelin Remasters import CDs (2) are good IMO.

Hmmm..thought had posted a response. Guess not.

The CDs seem to be available on Amazon though can't vouch for the digital transfers. A good place to start with Moravec is Chopin, Beethoven (love his Moonlight) and Debussy.

As far as the R2R decks go, here's a reference to the FR of a number of decks playing at 15 or 30 ips. Now there's people here who could explain the technical reasons better but it's in part due to head bumps; with 30 ips this occurs around 80-120 Hz and an octave lower at 15 ips. Ergo, the lows roll off at a lower frequency with 15 ips than with 30 ips. 30 ips tended to be used because it was quieter and pushed the tape saturation up to higher frequencies, thus extending upper octave response.

http://www.endino.com/graphs/

This reference also has a bit more info about head bumps and a lot more don't want to know :) :

http://home.comcast.net/~mrltapes/mcknight_freq-resp-of-mag-recorders.pdf

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Myles

Let me clarify. I recently ( less than 6 months ) became aware of the lack of bass in 30 ips...
I assumed in my post that The Connoisseur Society you were talking about were on LP, thus my mention of EQ to bring the bass to a satisfying level.

If today's recordings only sounded 1/10 as good!

I objected to that opinion by stating that

I thank you for the references on the R2R FR

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
British music on the table tonight:

Claire Martin: The Waiting Game (Linn Records)
Martin Simpson: Sad or High Kicking (Topic Records)
June Tabor: Aqaba (Topic Records)
Nic Jones: Penguin Eggs (Topic Records)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I just received a new LP in the mail today and I am already bummed and I haven't even opened it yet. The LP is Tom Petty Highway Companion and it was produced by Jeff Lynne which is the part that bums me out. Jeff Lynne has his thumbprint all over everything he touches and his thumbprint is the size of a catcher's mitt. Jeff Lynne tries to make everything sound like an ELO song and he usually does a damn fine job of that. They should have never made him a member of the Traveling Dingleberries as he did not have the stature of the other members of that band. And yes, you can hear ELO on most of the songs.

Anyway, the Tom Petty LP was supposedly made from tape so I will cross my fingers.

Mark

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think I'll treat myself by opening up Neil Young: Massey Hall1971 for a start. After that some Ray La Montagne: Gossip In The Grain and finish with Lindsay Buckingham: Gift Of Screws

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The Neil Young live at Massey Hall is an awesome LP. Any fan of Neil Young who doesn't own this should snap it up quickly.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
As I type, Greg Bisonette's "Submarine" (cd).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
CD-boo-hiss.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
I've got Richard Thompson's "Front Parlour Ballads" spinning on the VPI right now...

Picked it up quite a while ago, but haven't had a chance to spin it for several months.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing