Oscar Hype 2013...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Ok- first of all, Zero Dark Thirty is easily going to win Best Picture. It's amazing. That said, Django was my favorite movie of the year---and the Grey was my underrated film of the year.

Best Picture- Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor- Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln

Best Actress- Tough category as Chastain and Lawrence are locks for noms, but some buzz on Naomi Watts

Best Supporting Actor- Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln (although Christopher Waltz is wonderful in Django)

Best Supporting Actress- Sally Field was terrible and shouldn't even be nominated imo. Helen Hunt or Hathaway?

Best Director- Kathryn Bigelow (sorry Spielberg), ZD30

Silver Linings Playbook is a nice movie, but I don't feel will win anything. Argo and Les Mis are the two films I still have not seen.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You're close Keith

Best Supporting Actor hands down was Christoph Waltz in Django which BTW I agree was a wonderful QT film but Zero Dark Thirty will win Best Picture. I don't see TommieLee Jones even close

Anne Hathaway as Fontine was mesmerizing but in a 20 minute role I can't see her winning

Argo was also a fantastic film and was my favorite until all the new films this past week.

Les Mis should garner the most nominations and will win big. For Best Actor there have been three roles that stand out

Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln and yes he should win..Denzel Washington in Flight and Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean in Les Mis (could be the sentimental favorite as he is a huge star in Hollywood)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Les Mis seems pretty average rated despite all the noms. But the Academy is probably a bigger fan of the musical construct than the public/critics. TLJ seems like the perfect Academy pick as the older actor wins a lot for supporting. I was mistaken above- Waltz will be a Best Actor nom and well deserved.

of the Best Actress picks--Chastain beats Lawrence imo, but I have not see the others and this category is known for winning in smaller movies.

I will get a LM screener this week to finish my "research" up :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I look at Christoph Waltz as Best Supporting which if so he should win hands down. TLJ did nothing for me in that role except to reinforce my feeling that he desperately needs a face lift as he is butt ugly

If Anne Hathaway is nominated for Best Supporting, I can see her winning that category

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing