Lighting Your Own Fireworks

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I've been purchasing and lighting my own fireworks (the *safe and sane* ones) for almost 50 years now. While the shows put on by local fire department personnel are spectacular, there is something special about personally putting flame to fuse.

It is an easy thing to do. My kids have been doing it for as long as they can remember. I think I put a sparkler in each of my kid's hands when they were 2 years of age.

Last night was no exception. Here in Oakland one is not allowed to light fireworks. That doesn't stop me. Every year I drive out to Dublin, a city not too far from where our founding father Steve resides, to purchase fireworks from a TNT, Red Devil, Freedom Fireworks, or other firework stand.

A 16 year old neighbor of mine came by while my wife, kids and I were having our own pyrospectacular. She had never lit a firework. Never. I invited her to light a flower, a little firework that does nothing more than spin on the ground and emit a few different colored flames for about 10 seconds. She refused. I told my 13 year old daughter to go with my neighbor and they both walked from my front porch to the corner where we light all of our fireworks, almost as if my daughter was holding my neighbor's hand. My neighbor lit the flower and ran as fast as she could about 30 feet away. The flower did its thing. We moved on to other fireworks. I know my neighbor never will forget that moment. Sometimes its just the simple things.

Anyway, for those who do light their own fireworks, here's a great tip. Get a steel/aluminum ladder and place your fountains on the top of the ladder. The fountains will shoot higher into the air and the sparks will have farther to fall before hitting the ground. It makes for a significantly better display.

Oh, and last night, just as the last fountain finished doing its thing, an Oakland police car drives by at a very slow rate of speed shining a spotlight on the ladder. We were holding our collective breath. We were glad to see that police car continue driving down the street and away from our house. Phew.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
I've been purchasing and lighting my own fireworks (the *safe and sane* ones) for almost 50 years now. While the shows put on by local fire department personnel are spectacular, there is something special about personally putting flame to fuse.

It is an easy thing to do. My kids have been doing it for as long as they can remember. I think I put a sparkler in each of my kid's hands when they were 2 years of age.

Last night was no exception. Here in Oakland one is not allowed to light fireworks. That doesn't stop me. Every year I drive out to Dublin, a city not too far from where our founding father Steve resides, to purchase fireworks from a TNT, Red Devil, Freedom Fireworks, or other firework stand.

A 16 year old neighbor of mine came by while my wife, kids and I were having our own pyrospectacular. She had never lit a firework. Never. I invited her to light a flower, a little firework that does nothing more than spin on the ground and emit a few different colored flames for about 10 seconds. She refused. I told my 13 year old daughter to go with my neighbor and they both walked from my front porch to the corner where we light all of our fireworks, almost as if my daughter was holding my neighbor's hand. My neighbor lit the flower and ran as fast as she could about 30 feet away. The flower did its thing. We moved on to other fireworks. I know my neighbor never will forget that moment. Sometimes its just the simple things.

Anyway, for those who do light their own fireworks, here's a great tip. Get a steel/aluminum ladder and place your fountains on the top of the ladder. The fountains will shoot higher into the air and the sparks will have farther to fall before hitting the ground. It makes for a significantly better display.

Oh, and last night, just as the last fountain finished doing its thing, an Oakland police car drives by at a very slow rate of speed shining a spotlight on the ladder. We were holding our collective breath. We were glad to see that police car continue driving down the street and away from our house. Phew.

I could not agree more. I've been a fan of fireworks since I was a child. When my son got old enough to watch I included him as I have done with everything he had interest in.

My son played with smoke bombs, sparklers and other safe fireworks when he was tiny and graduated to the powerful ones as he got older. My fondest memories are during his Junior High years when a car load of us would travel some distance out of town and shoot off all manner of rockets, firecrackers and roman candles until everyone was so tired they could do no more.

I still remember looking in the rear view mirror at my son and his male and female school mates leaning against each other half asleep during the drive home.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Ron, I could never understand why Dublin is the only town around that sells fireworks legally

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Apparently it is legal in Union City as well (according to my banker, of all people, who resides there).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing