Benz Ruby H Loading

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I have been playing around with different loads, and was curious to see what some of you were using.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Benz Ruby H is a bass rich cartridge when broken in, I would run it out at full 47k with a standard phono, or just at the highest impedance by whatever loading source you use.

It has a strange break in, going from kind of thin/analytic sounding, to just perfect, to over ripe in the bass after about 100 hours, at least the one I had.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
right now I'm at 1k. The folks at pass labs, state that my Alephono might need to be set differently than other preamps, no transistor in the way or something along that line. I'll have to try 47k again.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Benz Ruby H is a bass rich cartridge when broken in, I would run it out at full 47k with a standard phono, or just at the highest impedance by whatever loading source you use.

It has a strange break in, going from kind of thin/analytic sounding, to just perfect, to over ripe in the bass after about 100 hours, at least the one I had.

After 100 hours, like most carts, the Ruby suspension settles, and therefore requires an altered SRA setup.

Well, I've always been curious to why some people consider the Ruby's reputation as too rich sounding; bass heavy cartridge?

In my travels, I'd say that it's actually much less bass heavy and bloomy than it's siblings and certainly better than it's so-called reputation. The one thing people need to consider with the Ruby is that it's Gyger stylus required a very precise setup (and I mean VERY), requiring a 92 degree SRA, totally correct and parallel azimuth, and just the right amount of VTF to attain proper coil alignment.

I've too often heard the Ruby setup & used improperly (I've heard it sound less than good depending on rig/setup), with generally too much (EDIT, I incorrectly said positive when I meant ...) negative VTA and certainly too much VTF; the obvious results were per it's "reputation". The truth within my system, once dialed-in (that particular stylus focuses-in like a good camera lens) the inherited richness (or caramel color) still comes thru, but you'll also appreciate it's very deep & controlled impact-full bass with plenty layering & depth of field. To my ears, the Ruby H reputation has been smeared by poor setups or non synergistic coupling. It's not nearly as bass heavy as many people think, and it's certainly far more resolute than most would consider.

Case in point, I have a friend who owns and truly appreciates his LPS, and he never much liked the Ruby or other Benz alternatives. He ran both the Ruby & LPS on a very expensive top-of-the-line American built turntable/arm and claims the Ruby performed per it's reputation. However, his analog rig, despite the cost, is not nearly as refined as mine, and to this day my Ruby H based rig remains superior to his LPS based rig. Simply put, my rig has superior instrumental impact, especially the bass, with better layering and resolution (based on my far superior noise floor). That despite it's inherited caramel and bolder trajectory.

To his dismay, he can hear my rigs superiority even when playing my LP-CDRs on his expensive digital system. That bothers him to no end considering his much more "expensive" turntable and it's so-called "reputation" as being one of the very best available.

Look, I realize the LPS(*) (far too heavy for my arm) is overall, the superior cartridge. However, it's still slaved to an arm & turntable, and therefore it still requires a certain synergy and a refined setup to excel. The interesting thing is that his turntable has a reputation as being lean and powerful, and his accompanying tube electronics are certainly richer by nature. On the other hand, my turntable (although my arm is very lean) has an inherited rich & bold character all it's own, and I also use a rich & bold Cardas IC to SS pre, and therefore you'd think that with this particular partnerships, the Ruby would manifest it's sound as perhaps too rich & bold. Thankfully, it didn't.

tb1

(*) I'm not as big a fan of the Micro-Ridge stylus as compared to the Gyger S. The Gyger, in my experience, is visually easier to setup, despite the fact that it requires a more precise setup than any MR-stylus I've used prior. Personally, if Benz ever return, I hope they re-adopt the Gyger.

As for loading, my Pre-amp auto loads, but I have tried manual loading with the H. If memory serves, the recommended load did sound best, however manual loading doesn't sound as good with my particular pre.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Loading is system dependent. Unless one has the same system and cart, their loading spec may be of little value. The phonostage plays a big part in this. I use to ask this very question but found through experience that one man's load may not apply to my load.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Loading is system dependent. Unless one has the same system and cart, their loading spec may be of little value. The phonostage plays a big part in this. I use to ask this very question but found through experience that one man's load may not apply to my load.

Does that sound a little strange, or is it just me?? :)

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I use to ask this very question but found through experience that one man's load may not apply to my load.

Well, I'd comment accordingly ... but ... well ...

tb1

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
It is system dependent, but for the H version, 47K is a good place to start. Benz cartridges tend to have quite high internal impedances;but in the end, judge by ear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing