SRA Scuttle tips/feedback

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
There should be a plastic bag on the crate with instructions...

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
No just bags of paper saying fragile, no instructions. There are screws circled in black, I'm assuming those go first. Emailed Tim, hopefully he will set me straight. Jazzdoc have a copy of yours around?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Sorry, can't find the instructions. I vaguely remember taking off the front panel first, then the top, then sliding it out....there are a lot of screws! I would wait for instructions because they had some useful tips, especially unpacking the shelving.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
So I got this sucker out of the crate, what a beast. I have the 4 shelf version, the crate was labeled as 550#'s! Unfortunately one of the composite back support braces was cracked during transport. I'm hoping they can just send me a new piece to screw in and theres no viscoelastic adhesive involved. This sucker better make a big difference because I have 2 stair cases to go up!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So I got this sucker out of the crate, what a beast. I have the 4 shelf version, the crate was labeled as 550#'s! Unfortunately one of the composite back support braces was cracked during transport. I'm hoping they can just send me a new piece to screw in and theres no viscoelastic adhesive involved. This sucker better make a big difference because I have 2 stair cases to go up!

I bet it does. Good luck and enjoy. Having just put an HRS M3 isolation platform under my Transport, i can confirm this particular platform is incredible. And i've already got HRS nimbus/couplers/dampers under/on top of just about every single one of my components (including the Transport). Plus a custom 4" thick 21-layer birch ply (400lb) rack sitting on top of 1" slab of slate.

From everything i have ever read about SRA, you should be in for something quite special. (besides the 2-story carry i mean!)

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
yeah i looked at HRS but close to 20k to hold 8 components. I have Naim stuff, so separate power supplies. Takes up some space. Can you post a pic of your rack? sounds like a cross between the scuttle and magico mini's

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
yeah i looked at HRS but close to 20k to hold 8 components. I have Naim stuff, so separate power supplies. Takes up some space. Can you post a pic of your rack? sounds like a cross between the scuttle and magico mini's

Hi...it actually is a simple rack...it's 21-layer birch ply, 3" to 4" thick on all sides...open in the front and back. 3 levels...58" long and 24" deep and about 36" high. The entire rack sits decoupled on top of a 1" thick slab of slate which has felt pads underneath so as not to scratch the floor. Since it was done by a custom woodworker who is also a bigtime audiophile, he used 12" long gigantic screws internally to hold the entire thing together which was also glued together. Since he does custom work, and its in my living room, he finished the entire rack in Black African bubinga wood (matching butterfly patterns) and then polished the rack to a piano gloss.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Finally Have it Together!

Well after natural disasters, a cracked support and subsequent repair, and 2 flights of stairs the Scuttle is in. Amazing looking, didn't love it in the pictures, and was more interested in the sound improvements, but I am quite happy with how it looks. The sound is also very much improved. Much blacker back ground, not subtle. I was coming from cheap sanus and salamander archetype. Heres a pic. Still working on component placement, as my supercap is back from repair, and I will need to make room. Heres a pic.
IMG_0206.jpg

thesaint519

May 28, 2012
In certain applications, the Scuttle will come close to equaling Craz², the A/B’s you describe go on at SRA daily. Simply put, Scuttle has no competition outside Craz², we have run side x sides vs. everything you can think of and won, which is one of the reasons we are so excited about this product from its performance standpoint. Then when you look at price & turn times into account, it becomes a very easy decision. This is truly an amazing product!

This is most reassuring, as I intend on purchasing an S3 from SRA shortly.

thesaint519

May 28, 2012
Well after natural disasters, a cracked support and subsequent repair, and 2 flights of stairs the Scuttle is in. Amazing looking, didn't love it in the pictures, and was more interested in the sound improvements, but I am quite happy with how it looks. The sound is also very much improved. Much blacker back ground, not subtle. I was coming from cheap sanus and salamander archetype. Heres a pic. Still working on component placement, as my supercap is back from repair, and I will need to make room.

Your system is beautiful. What are the dimensions?

thesaint519

May 28, 2012
Thanks. Exactly what i was hoping to hear. Tim one of the engineers actually recommended I just get the scuttle 2 and not spend $2500 more for the 3. I was impressed, as you don't get such unbiased advice that often.

Did he say why?

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
He felt on price/performance wasn't there. Might be different with your equipment. Its a standard 4 shelf double wide. I think 48" high about 38" wide and 24" deep, I think.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing