Question for Dr. Olive, Tom Mallin & Jeff Fritz: Wave Field Synthesis

Morbius

May 29, 2010
Just curious. What are your thoughts on WFS?

That's essentially how phased array radars work.

However, one problem I see is a lack of information. When recordings are made,
we only sample the wave at just a few points - where the microphones are.

If we had a "wall of microphones" at the recording session, and with a lot of computer
processing power - perhaps a "wall of transducers" could effectively replicate the
3D soundfield.

However, even the Krell musicians didn't make that type of recording.

It's a nice concept to contemplate.

Greg

Last edited:

tonmeister2008

WBF Technical Expert
Jun 20, 2010
Westlake Village,CA
Just curious. What are your thoughts on WFS?

This explains it precisely:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
WOW!Double integrals, partial derivatives. I think I'm getting misty.

Morbius

May 29, 2010
..and with actual Green's Functions, sob, sob.

John,

Exactly!! Anyone familiar with Green's functions and differential equations would
be quite familiar with this.

Essentially the Green's function here gives you the response at (w,z) in phase space
due to an impulse at z'. If you integrate [ which is analogous to a sum in the discrete
realm, except integrals are in the continuum ], then you are just "summing" over all
driving inputs of that input times its response.

Greg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I used to try to decipher the math in Audio magazine. Remember Bert Whyte? Whenever Audio magazine wanted to proclaim a piece of equipment as the best they tried to bury their opinion in math.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I used to try to decipher the math in Audio magazine. Remember Bert Whyte? Whenever Audio magazine wanted to proclaim a piece of equipment as the best they tried to bury their opinion in math.

Did you know that Bert Whyte had a huge R2R tape collection? A high-end audio manufacturer ended up with all of Bert's tapes-and remember that the engineers in those days used to trade tapes. So there are some spectacular recordings in that collection. Drool.....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I actually worked with a guy who didn't understanding anything or couldn't explain anything unless it could be expressed in an equation. I always wondered how he explained things to his kids before they got through algebra and calculus.

Sine Language? :p;);););)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
That's essentially how phased array radars work.

However, one problem I see is a lack of information. When recordings are made,
we only sample the wave at just a few points - where the microphones are.

If we had a "wall of microphones" at the recording session, and with a lot of computer
processing power - perhaps a "wall of transducers" could effectively replicate the
3D soundfield.

However, even the Krell musicians didn't make that type of recording.

It's a nice concept to contemplate.

Greg

While the question of having sufficient information is an important one, I'd suggest giving further consideration to the very significant difference from radar where audio uses a much wider bandwidth. Once you start including bandwidth that has very long wavelengths and you don't have an effectively infinite dimension to the array (by way of boundaries or spherical encapsulation, things get rather dicey for more than one listening position and maintaining behavior over a wide bandwidth. It's easy to define an array that works for a limited bandwidth, but just as is the case with speakers using multiple elements in an array, wide bandwidth complicates things greatly.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The music room conceptually would look like Professor X's Cerebro chamber. That would definitely be cool!

Oh Sean, is that how he managed to buy a secant home?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing