2012: Your favorite music buys!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The year 2012 is almost over and I was wondering what made your list of outstanding music media additions (any format). This doesn't necessarily have to mean the best quality, new music, new releases, but instead perhaps a recording that you are really pleased to have acquired. As such, this is not a thread about best pressings or better performances.....just personal choices and ones that have brought you pleasure.

I have bought quite a bit of vinyl this last year, both old and new, standard and audiophile, but the 3 that I am most happy about getting are:

Alan Parsons Project - I, Robot (Classic 180g)
Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid (Classic 180g)
Supertramp - Crisis? What Crisis? (A&M Audiophile)

These are some of my favourite albums and artists, so I am absolutely thrilled to now have them in my collection.

BTW: The new Donald Fagen - Sunken Condos is sublime. It almost made the list!

Let me hear about your choices......

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My new favorite for 2012 is the LP that Myles told me I had to get, and that was “Sonny Meets Hawk.” The only copy that I could find available that I wanted was a test pressing made by RTI and sold by Acoustic Sounds. And yeah, the LP is a bit pricey at around $82.00 including shipping.

So the LP showed up Thursday night in the great packing that Chad uses, but I didn’t have a chance to listen to it until last night. When I opened the box, the LP was in a sealed bag and the LP jacket is plain white and the record label is blank on side 2 and the side one label simply says “RTI Test Pressing, Date: Sep 13, 1996, Matrix Number: LSP E2712 A1/B2. I really didn’t know what to expect from this LP other than Myle’s hasn’t steered me wrong yet with any of his suggestions.

I gave the LP the normal cleaning on the 16.5 RCM and dropped it on the table and cued it up. In the words of Tom Petty: “Oh my my, Oh hell yes!” I simply wasn’t prepared for how stunning this recording is. Out of a super-quiet background emerges some beautiful jazz music that sounds stunningly realistic. The tonal colors and the purity of all the instruments just has to be heard to be appreciated and believed. I’m still in awe of what I heard. When side one finished, I was just hoping that side two would sound as good and quiet as side one, and I wasn’t disappointed.

I need to spend more time listening to this LP so I can gather some intelligent thoughts about the interplay between Sonny and Hawk which I found to be mesmerizing. The first listen was just overwhelming for so many reasons. If this LP doesn’t take your system to a new level, I’m sorry. As I was listening to this LP last night, I was thinking it sounds better than some 15 ips/2 track tapes I own and I think it would give a great many a run for their money because it’s simply that good.

Prior to putting on the LP, I was listening to some DSD jazz files. As I was listening to the DSD jazz, I was thinking about how good I think DSD sounds, especially when played back over the Mytek Stereo 192 (thanks again Bruce for telling us all about this DAC). Sometimes I don’t plan on spending much time listening to DSD, but then it sounds so good I just feel compelled to sit in my chair and let the music play.

And such was the case last night. The system had been warming up as usual with the file server and I intended on going downstairs and immediately switching to playing tapes and LPs. But as happens so many times, the sound I was hearing was so compelling I just sat down and listened. For me, DSD simply takes digital to another level of ease and naturalness that reminds me of great analog. In fact, I’m pretty sure I could fool some people into thinking they were hearing analog with some of my DSD files.

And I said all of that so I could say this: When I put on Sonny Meets Hawk and the music started, there was no comparison to the sound quality I was just admiring from DSD and what was now pouring forth from my stereo. It’s just an entirely new level of realism. I can’t speak for any other version of this LP either digital or analog-mono or stereo. What I can’t imagine is any version beating the one I have. I think I’m going to buy another copy before they are gone.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Fela Vinyl Box: Volumes 1&2. Volume 2 was released this year. Volume 1 about 2 years ago. Scored both in 2012. My favorites by far!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
A couple worth mentioning here:
I'm blown away by the 45 rpm of 88 Basie St.
The Trixie Whitley EP of "I'd rather go blind' on vinyl from belgium is killer, sonically and performance-wise.

For you Sonny Rollins fans, I found a sealed copy of Alternate Takes in my stacks. Howz that record? Never listened to it (obviously).

The good doc's suggestion of Miles 'Round about Midnight' on Columbia 6 eyes is also fab.

:)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
1. Calexico's "Road Atlas"
A little slice of heaven for a Calexico junkie like me :D

ROAD ATLAS 1998-2011: Only previously available on CD.
Road Map LP
Travelall LP
Aerocalexico 2LP
Scraping 2LP
The Book And The Canal 2LP
Toolbox LP
Ancienne Blegique . Live In Brussels 2LP
Circo. A Soundtrack By Calexico LP
Hand Numbered Vinyl Box Set
Limited Edition 1,100 Worldwide
12 Vinly LPs (Four Single Albums, Four Double Albums)
40 Page Book
Screen Printed Slip Case
Download Codes For All Albums + Bonus Tracks

The box set is sold out but I saw them selling them at a recent live show...You can now purchase the vinyl LPs individually.

2. Lester Young Trio
Found an original pressing of this classic with Buddy Rich and Nat King Cole

3. Music Matters Releases

Another banner year for fans of Blue Note. My favorites:

Wayne Shorter "Adams Apple"

Art Blakey "Free For All"

Herbie Hancock "Empyrean Isles"

Pete LaRoca "Basra"

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
just ordered Calexico, Carried to Dust...look forward to hearing it!

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Gil Evans Project, Centennial: Newly Discovered Works Of Gil Evans [ArtistShare]
Bob Brookmeyer, Standards [ArtistShare]
Mercury Living Presence: The Collector's Edition

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing