Almost Cut My Hair - CSN&Y

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Maybe I can help take the thread in a new direction.

As some men get older -- and this includes me -- the problem isn't one of cutting the hair, it is a matter of if you don't cut your hair, you can look a little silly.

When I go to get a haircut, the barber is always trying to leave some areas of my hair longer. I am guessing this is because a lot of guys like to comb some hair over the thinner areas in an attempt to disguise the situation.

I find that I have to keep assuring the barber that I do not want any longer hair for "comb over" purposes.

I find the best way to handle thinning hair is to keep it short.

Think of young Clint Eastwood versus old.

Young Clint had a beautiful crown of thick hair.

He'd look silly trying to maintain that style today.

On another note compromising isn't the same as compromising one's ideals.

Anyone who wants to stay married will learn to compromise.

If maintaining a marriage is your ideal then you might find yourself compromising to maintain your ideals.

If you're like me, a few minutes into the argument, you can't remember what you're fighting about anyway, so it can be very difficult to remember which are your ideals, which are just your best guesses, and which are just ideas that once sounded good.

Finally, as one gets older, hopefully one gets wiser.

Trying to maintain ideals formed when one was younger and less wise might also be less wise.

My favorite quote, which has been attributed to Mark Twain, goes something like;

"When I was 17, my father was so stupid I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But, when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in just 4 years."

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
First off, I always liked that David Crosby song, and I just heard him play it about 3 weeks ago.
I did cut my hair, and then most of it fell out.
Oh, well Chick's dig bald guys, ones that don't do the comb over anyway.
Did I compromise, oh yes, haven't we all at one time or another.
I have a very understanding wife, so I usually don't get told to get something out of here because she doesn't like it.
She has probably compromised more than I have over the past 27 plus years we have been married.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Did you give up something that you didn't want to? Does it bother you?
John
Gave up my wonderful, perfectly roasted central and south American varietals after a quadbypass!
Took awhile to find a decaf I enjoy. Local roaster.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

I'll take the studio recording any day. It sounds much better.

I never had long hair. From 24 to 34 I had a well groomed one centimeter long beard that looked like a beard, still shaved daily, not the stubble stuff that guys who just don't feel like shaving have that develops once a week. Ironically, I grew it because one woman I had a long relationship with wanted to see me with a beard and shaved it ten years later because after a year of going out, the next woman wanted to see how I looked without it. I can't say the beard made a difference one way or the other to me and I never missed it. It actually took more care daily shaving around it and trimming it to length to keep it neat than just shaving it all every day.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing