honestly

lucky

Dec 19, 2012
Have anyone owned or had the oportunity to audition MBL 101e MKII and Rockport Altair, i just need an unbias and an experienced opinion to educate me about these speakers, i listen to all type of music im building a 20x28 room... which one would it be if that would be your last speaker.
Thanks in advance
lucky.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
An acquaintance of mine has the MBL 101e, NOT the MkII, also in a room about the size of yours that opens into his entry foyer which is about 15 x 25 and has 12 foot ceilings. His house is a ranch. He is driving the MBL's with a Spectral amp [I don't know which model] and I have to say I was not impressed. I have not heard the Rockport Altair. His speakers might actually be undersized for his environment.

lucky

Dec 19, 2012
thank you

An acquaintance of mine has the MBL 101e, NOT the MkII, also in a room about the size of yours that opens into his entry foyer which is about 15 x 25 and has 12 foot ceilings. His house is a ranch. He is driving the MBL's with a Spectral amp [I don't know which model] and I have to say I was not impressed. I have not heard the Rockport Altair. His speakers might actually be undersized for his environment.

thank you , any idea why you was not impress with the 101e

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Take this with a grain of salt as mbl is a competitor......

IMHO your room might be too large for the 101's. They need a smaller room where wall reflections make the radialstaliah work. Another member here, Ki Choi has the 101's in a small room, and I thought that they sounded fabulous. I was impressed by them.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Have anyone owned or had the oportunity to audition MBL 101e MKII and Rockport Altair, i just need an unbias and an experienced opinion to educate me about these speakers, i listen to all type of music im building a 20x28 room... which one would it be if that would be your last speaker.
Thanks in advance
lucky.

I heard the 101e MKII in a relatively small room with very high ceilings and was very impressed. Among the 3 best systems I ever heard. I suspect it will be pretty heard to set them up right and get them to sing though.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
As Gary Koh and I said in our posts, the MBL 101eMkII MIGHT be a bit small for your room. It did seem to be for my friend who had a very large space. I wasn't impressed with the MBL because the sound did not seem to fill the room and it just didn't play with "majesty."

You might need to get a G1.2 DRAGON!

Worse things could happen to you! ;)

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
He should get the G5.3's! Oh yeah baby! What a great speaker!:D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
more grains of salt required :)

The 101s are famously power hungry. For a large room, be prepared to purchase the 9007s or something similarly powerful like a big Karan or Bryston 28 for them to be closest to their actual potential.

My room is larger and my speakers have a similar form factor the the Altairs albeit mine have powered subwoofers. I think the Altair will have no problem at least down into the lower midbass and definitely have no problems in the midrange on up. Again with lots of juice, you may not have deep bass problems either. Good thing is , quality subs are relatively cheap and much easier to integrate these days so that's always an option too.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
^^^^^ I agree with you, Jack.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing