Status
Not open for further replies.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
Sorry if someone already posted on it!
I ran in to an add on WA-Quantum Chips
WASpeaker1600.jpg
Is there any one here that actually give those sticker a shot in their system?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Will the price give you sticker shock?

Come on sombody gimme a rimshot! :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Is this where the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle becomes the "there's one born every minute" Certainty Principle?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Laugh all you want.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The only problem is if you know when it is on, you don't know where it is on. If you know where it is on, you don't know when it is on.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Has anyone tried these chips on a fuse? I'm guessing it's a circle that gets stuck on one end of the fuse. If so, which end would one choose for those directional fuses like the HiFi Tuning Supreme?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
What make you think that I don't already buy lot's of music?;)

I am sure you do! But use what ever budget for chips, fuses, pucks, cones, and other wizardry on more tunes!

I'm going to a live performance tonight..maybe I can put one of those Quantum chips on my forehead to see if it improves the sound.:cool:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
More seriously but still a bit tongue in cheek....
Hey why not put one chip on each side of the head for a person using a hearing aid and see if the music improves :)
Far better imo than using on your own forehead :)

Now being more serious, unfortunately it would be a pig to test by oneself due to a bias type effect that making a change we model-predict a change in our heads, so it is possible that our perception is changed even if the sound does not.
JA knows a lot more about this as I remember discussing on Stereophile forum a long time ago and he could name what this effect is called as I had forgetten the name, funny enough forgotten the bloody name again now :)
And not talking about expectation bias-placebo, some wrongly lump all of this together on other forums.

So either they work affecting sound or perceptively work, either way I am sure Myles did hear a difference and is still of interest IMO, no matter if difference was real or perceptive.
At least they are not charging stupid money like some of those ideas out there, not naming them lol.
Cheers
Orb

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
More seriously but still a bit tongue in cheek....
Hey why not put one chip on each side of the head for a person using a hearing aid and see if the music improves :)
Far better imo than using on your own forehead :)

Now being more serious, unfortunately it would be a pig to test by oneself due to a bias type effect that making a change we model-predict a change in our heads, so it is possible that our perception is changed even if the sound does not.
JA knows a lot more about this as I remember discussing on Stereophile a long time ago and he could name what this effect is called as I had forgetten the name, funny enough forgotten the bloody name again now :)
And not talking about expectation bias-placebo, some wrongly lump all of this together on other forums.

So either they work affecting sound or perceptively work, either way I am sure Myles did hear a difference and is still of interest IMO, no matter if difference was real or perceptive.
At least they are not charging stupid money like some of those ideas out there, not naming them lol.
Cheers
Orb

Welcome back! Orb!

Long time no read your thoughtful and gentle posts. You remain the same: Knowledgeable, gentle , fair and balanced.

Ok I am not you :D Whenever I see the word "Quantum" used on an Audio product I run away from it. This product is one of many that populate the High End Audio ecosystem. Since for the most part these do nothing, they are innocuous enough to not cause most people concern but they don't have any positive effect on the perception of our hobby creating the impression that it is at best an affectation but too often it is seen as a farce or quackery.
As usual a few audiophiles will buy some, enough for the manufacturers to make some profits healthy or otherwise, pay some bills, recoup advertising money and prepare themselves to be quickly forgotten, replaced by another tweak based on even more un-explainable pseudo-science. Some audiophiles, of course, will claim it provides blacker background than the previous model and it is worth its often substantial price. This will go on until our generation leaves this plane of existence. I can't predict what the future generations will do but so far we are the audiophile market, we the over 50 years old...

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
LOL thank you,
impossible to stay away :)
Still a great forum and glad to be active again.
Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO we can assume that almost all posts in an audio forum trying to use the word quantum in a way related to quantum mechanics or quantum physics, unless it pretends to explain the thermionic effect or the behavior of solid state devices, are bogus.

However we can not consider that a device that misuses or abusively uses the word quantum in its marketing does not change the sound quality. Many excellent devices commit this type of sin, and we are free to exclude them in order to punish their developers. But I feel that those who want to play the chastisers will sometimes be the real looser.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
IMHO we can assume that almost all posts in an audio forum trying to use the word quantum in a way related to quantum mechanics or quantum physics, unless it pretends to explain the thermionic effect or the behavior of solid state devices, are bogus.

However we can not consider that a device that misuses or abusively uses the word quantum in its marketing does not change the sound quality. Many excellent devices commit this type of sin, and we are free to exclude them in order to punish their developers. But I feel that those who want to play the chastisers will sometimes be the real looser.

microstrip

ok.

There can't be progress without criticism. As for your tendency to defend anything and everything High End even when they defy all logic, known Science and your own beliefs, I don't sincerely know what to make of it.
"De Guerre lasse" a French Expression , I am not too sure how to translate in English but you may well understand ....

You win

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
microstrip

ok.

There can't be progress without criticism. As for your tendency to defend anything and everything High End even when they defy all logic, known Science and your own beliefs, I don't sincerely know what to make of it.
"De Guerre lasse" a French Expression , I am not too sure how to translate in English but you may well understand ....

You win

Frantz,

My French is much better than my English, I would love to debate audio quoting Camus in the native language - much more fun than quoting Toole. Effectively I read the Françoise Sagan book in french, at the time it was launched I appreciate her books and read a lot.

I find very interesting that you bring the "De Guerre Lasse" argument. You never backed your favorites with any science - only with your long and interesting experience. It is the only logic you use to defend your loved options. But you like to use science as a weapon to debate others beliefs. My beliefs on audio are very modest. Anyone wanting to explore my sometimes careless posts will understand it. But they are enough to have an open mind and understand that, considering the limitations of actual science in explaining high-end stereo audio, its systematic use, mixed with technical ignorance is not the proper way of debating high-end.

Most of the time my position is just being very prudent when saying it is impossible. And I know I should separate individual cases from the general conclusion. Because all we have in WBF is just that - individual opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing