Quietest apple laptop for browsing while listening

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
What is the quietest apple laptop? Will use only for browsing and music downloads, aiff conversion, and transfer to NAS.

Will have on my lap as I am listening to music, so ideally silent. My current Sony vaio is driving me nuts.

Am hoping the larger model MacBook Air as its perfect for my needs.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The quietest Apple Laptops would be any with a solid state drive.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Yes, although I am more worried about fan noise which can get seriously out of control on some laptops. My vaio sounds like a jet engine ready for take off.

I guess I want the coolest most low wattage chipset.

I also read that the latest airs have an asymmetric fan which is quieter

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The fan in my MacBook Pro rarely comes on. I can't imagine that a MacBook Air...I'm not even sure an Air has a fan. In any case the fans are very quiet. It's the hard drives - particularly the fast ones, that can make enough noise to be heard over a system playing at any volume to speak of.

Tim

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Why do you want to do AIFF conversions on your laptop? It would be slow as heck and heat up the CPU no end. That's why I own a desktop, a laptop, and a tablet :)

The Apple laptops really move along. For many people they have replaced their desktops, plus if you have s good laptop, you have good speed and don't have to do very much syncing except with accessory devices. I know with the cloud does that for you, but I don't trust the cloud's security any more than I can touch a cumulonimbus.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Latest 2012 unibody MBP has 2 fans

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Yes I understand they spin at a very low RPM and so are inaudible. They only speed up when required under very heavy processing. I'm sold :).

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
these are very well designed laptops, a lot of thought went into the airflow/cooling. pricey but you get quality. props to apple

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
thermaltake-ixoft-fanless-laptop-cooler.JPG Fanless laptop cooler

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Yes I understand they spin at a very low RPM and so are inaudible. They only speed up when required under very heavy processing. I'm sold :).

That, and the fan blades are at varying pitches, so as to distribute the frequency of the fan noise over a wider range. Impressive engineering, indeed. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing