Computer Audio Designs 16* TDA1543 DAC review on 6moons - lots of pics!

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Lloyd first brought this DAC to my attention, but after searching I still can't find where. So here's a new thread to focus on it. Because there are pics of the internals I figured that some observations about the article and what's inside the box might be interesting to DAC lovers here. Any takers for some technical analysis? :p

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/cad/1.html

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It is an interesting design. Not at all new - there have been many DIY projects (some of them are even available on ebay in semi DIY form from Chineese vendors) based on the concept of paralleled 1543 DACs.

What is interesting is that he uses transformers for I/V conversion and no output stage per se (that is why he needs so many of those chips - otherwise he would not have enough current to drive the outputs). Another interesting feture is the use of super regulators throughout, fed from 5 separate transformers.

Even the M2Tech OEM board he uses (this is the M2TOEM-01 model if I'm not mistaken) is fed from the two separate regulators and transformers - he mentioned that he doesn't use USB power, which means that he needs AFAIR +5V and +3.3V supplies to power it.

I'm not a big fan of 1543 chips, as they sound too dark for my tastes. But the whole NOS concept is interesting - I'm a big fan of Metrum Octave DAC myself.

Last edited:

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Yes there are very many DIY projects and PCBs on eBay (and Taobao) - I have some of them myself. Indeed TDA1543 was my very first initiation into the sound of NOS. I was skeptical at first but curious enough to try it - wasn't impressed at first, partly due to the darkness you mention which I attribute to the NOS droop (suck out of HF energy in the top two octaves). Where did you see transformers being used for the audio? - the two big bolted down blocks in the pic near the output sockets looked to me initially like trafos but it turns out they're just huge caps.

I felt the Octave was a real inspiration in that the designer, Cees, boldly went away from traditional audio DAC chips. It encouraged me to spend more time looking elsewhere for DAC chips too. Certainly its a milestone design in my estimation, rave reviews and yet still quite affordable. Incidentally the Octave now has an older (and much dearer) brother - new review here : http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum2/1.html

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Yes sorry, ofcourse caps not transformers - I thinking about the other design writing this.

I know about HEX. I'm waiting for the call from my dealer to borrow one. I have Octave at home which I bought out of curiosity (there was no dealer at Poland at the time when they camo out, so had to buy one to try).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I always try to sample gear that gets rave reviews. Sometimes - as in the case of Metrum - it turns out to be a revelation. But sometimes - as in the case of Devialet - it ends up as a disapointment.

I think Metrum uses those chips:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slas458b/slas458b.pdf

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Yes the Metrum is one of the DACs that's helped me to come up with my hypothesis for what in the main is wrong with digital sound. Because by traditional measurements it does exceedingly poorly yet nobody I've heard of dislikes the sound it gives them. What was wrong with Devialet? You're correct I think about the DAC chips, I came to that same conclusion a while back.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
sarjan you can never get any idea on the sound quality on the first read
sometimes not even on the 3rd

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
What was wrong with Devialet?

@Elberoth Just saw your listening comments over on the Devialet thread so received my answer. What you say fits with what I'm finding out about DACs. Probably the Devialet measures OK on THD, where it will fall down is in noise modulation, for which there's no standardized measurement. I recognize the signature sound from your (and Amir's) excellently detailed descriptions so thanks for putting them up ;)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Sorry for the delay in replying. I was almost flamed in that thread. I should have forseen that audiopiles have a very personal relation to the gear they own. Thankfully, I was not alone in my assasement.

Did you have a chance to listen to the HEX ?

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Even if you had been alone in that assessment and not supported by Amir's, I'd still have gone with your impressions. The supporters of Devialet don't come across as credible witnesses in my estimation - as you suggest, they're rather attached to their purchases. Post-purchase rationalization is a force to be reckoned with :) No, I haven't heard either the Octave or the Hex, just know of them by repute. As a designer I'd not waste a dealer's time in asking for a demo as all I'd do is take away any good features of the sound and figure out how to work those into my designs. No chance of a purchase out of me ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing