Eyes wide shut

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Not the best movie ever. Some pretty good music(I did a bad-bad thing). Most noteworthy is Nicole Kidman sporting one of the best pair of gams to ever grace the silver screen. Stanley Kubricks last work of art. In this age of sex videos. Subtlety still has its place.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I thought this was an intriguing film. Not so much about sex as the "mystery" of sex, a mystery that remains unresolved by the progress of the movie, like exploring a dark star that resides in our midst but refuses to yield to knowledge or examination.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Once my mind cleared up about Nicole Kidman. It was quite a a mystery. I still don't know what it was really about. It reminded me of the movie with Michael Douglas as the bored rich guy.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This film has one of the most unintentionally funny scenes I've ever seen. It happens when tall, elegant Nicole is stripping and little Tom Cruise comes over and starts to love on her. I was reminded of a little kid trying to ride a bicycle too big for him. But, the nakey pics of Nicole are flat out amazing in this film. As far as what it's about?

It seemed to me the movie was saying that when you take loyalty out of the world of sex and love, you enter dangerous mysterious territory beyond your control where weird dangerous stuff can happen to you and even if you try to enter the world of disloyalty in disguise, you may be spotted and compromised because you never know who sees and recognizes you.

I agree. Not a perfect movie, by any means, but the chance to check out Nic in and out of her skivvies is almost worth the price of admission and even when Kubrick misses, he's always trying something interesting. There are far worse things you can do than watch one of his films and try to figure out what he's getting at.

At least it isn't some formula piece of schlock.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
One of Kubrick's more flawed efforts. Which means it's only a few hundred times better than the average blockbuster.

P

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
One of Kubrick's more flawed efforts. Which means it's only a few hundred times better than the average blockbuster.

P

maybe he was distracted by
kidman?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I see we have some "Kidman" love happening here. Sorry guys....don't count me in! (runs and hides)

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Never been a big fan of Kidman either. Never thought she was attractive.... nor Paltrow... YUCK!:eek:

I think the biggest waste of my time was either "Lost In Translation" , "Vanilla Sky" or "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"...

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ouch. IMO, Translation and Spotless Mind are two very good films. Didn't care for Vanilla Sky, but it was a botched remake of a Spanish film I do like called Abres Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
No one knows what this movie is about? Interesting wow and wow again... . . .

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The droning score gave me a headache.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I remember it got bad reviews at the time. I quite liked it. To me the subject was sexual fantasies and temptations of partners in steady relationship, a subject the majority of the human race can relate to I'm sure....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing