The Ghost of Ground Loops Past

alphamale

Dec 16, 2012
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this: I have a system with (among other components) a Yamaha RX-797 receiver and a Stanton STR8-80 turntable.

When I set the system up, I had some horrendous problems with 60 Hz hum with several of the components. Over time, I have managed to eliminate this problem in every component except the turntable. After first determining that the house wiring itself was good (checked all the outlets), I looked at the cartridge, the wiring in the headshell...I tried tying all the component chassis grounds together, all to no avail. In fact, when I tried this last strategy, I not only failed to eliminate the hum, I actually got 120 Hz harmonics on top of it!

Recently, I read that the STR8-80 turntable had been notorious for hum. The turntable uses a two-prong AC line cord, rather than a three-prong with the earth ground pin. It was suggested that the line cord be replaced with one having the earth ground. This I did, making sure to match the hot and neutral connections of the new cord to that of the old one on the PC board, and I ran the earth ground wire to the turntable chassis ground.

Not only did this fail to get rid of the hum, it actually made it worse. Long story short, I am out of ideas. Anyone out there who knows how to fix this beast?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You might want to check the interconnect. Our SL-1200s and 1210s were on the road so much that the captured ICs were inadvertently yanked either from the turntable end or from the RCA ends resulting in ground issues. Some re-soldering usually did the trick. Place to start would be to inspect the connections inside the RCA barrels.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

alphamale

Dec 16, 2012
Hey Jack,

Thanks for the advice...I don't travel with my turntable, but what you said got me thinking, and I have a theory (which I have yet to prove out) about where I went wrong. The original line cord plugs into the unit, rather than entering through a port and a strain relief. Rather than drilling a new hole, I routed the new line cord through an existing port. This placed the line cord in close proximity to the audio cables, and I think I'm picking up the magnetic field effect from the line cord. Also, my earth ground is going to a ground connection on a heat sink, which in turn daisy-chains to the chassis ground. This is a carbord disk, concentric with the tone arm pivot, on which there is a foil backing, and all the ground wires converge there. I've been told I may have better results if I run my line cord directly to that disk. It means a longer earth ground wire, but I see the point...I may be dropping a small amount of voltage from that heat sink to earth ground (which would mean they're not exactly at the same potential).

Sorry for being so long-winded, but I wanted to post this in case anyone has had a similar experience. Thansk so much for your idea...I think you may have steered me in the right direction.

Cheers!

Alpha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing