Krell and me go deep

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
I run all krell. fpb 300cx Old style face. Kps25sc with old style face. I love the older battle ship gray. The previous owner had the amp upgraded internally but left the older face. My gain. The Kps25sc was upgraded by me from Krell and is the best thing I have done in audio in 20 years. OK its a tie with my CLS build. I use the silver CAST cables and that alone is so much better than any XLR I have had in line. I am constantly looking to improve , However when it comes to power and balls to the wall smoothness the Krell has no rival. many say they are not to their liking as they NEVER have heard them set up right. Done right Krell is mellow when you want it and ballsy when you need it. Combine that with the CAST and the signal transfer is as fast and clean as it gets. Blacks are blacker and depth to die for. I see know reason to look elsewhere right now!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Prior to going to all tubes I used Krell for years and loved it

Started with a KSA-300 and then went to 600M and then to 750McX. I owned the MD-10 and MD-20 as well as the KRC-HR and Ref64 DAC. I also owned the kps25sc and found it to be probably one of the best pieces of equipment I ever owned. Boy am I sorry I sold that one. Also used CAST cables as well as XLR because I the amp had both inputs and with the remote I could switch from my 2 channel listening to my HT setup. I still use the Theater Amp Standard for my multichannel HT center, sides and rear
The company unfortunately just isn't the same without Dan

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
C.A.P. Glad to have you aboard.

...when it comes to power and balls to the wall smoothness the Krell has no rival...

I agree. In fact since the advent of cd I thought Krell was having an identity crisis.They were trying to be too may things to too many people. Now for the marriage of Krell and Martin Logan...hmmm? They said it wouldn't last but you seem very happy together.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
EVO 403 amp here. I've had many Krells before this, and this one is far away the best.

Saving and waiting for the S1200 pre/pro, unless something new comes along in the meantime. Looking forward to CAST connections, and maybe a KAV 250/3 for my 3 rear channels too.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I used to have a KBL line stage with KPA phono stage, coupled via balanced interconnects to 4 KMA160 monoblocks. The new EVO amps are cleaner and smoother, with seemingly endless power. Supposedly, the new EVOs have "green" technology and use only 7 watts on standby as opposed to 340 in my version.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Supposedly, the new EVOs have "green" technology and use only 7 watts on standby as opposed to 340 in my version.

that is an interesting observation. Before I went to tubes, I had 3 Krell 750 Mcx's which were always left in standby until I read what power consumption is in standby. Once I turned them off my electric bill went down significantly

JackX

Nov 22, 2010
Oslo, Norway
I went from tubes to SS. I used to have Dynavector DV3000 Gold pre and AudoResearch D-150 amp. Beautiful stuff, regret it dearly I let it go: could have 2 nice setups :(

I started out my first full all-Krell setup with DVD Standard, KAV 300iL and LAT-2.

I later wanted to take the full advantage from the splendid DVD player in the Standard, hence traded it in for a full 5.1 Resolution 1, 3, 4, Center and LFE (1.st image) Amps were 300 CX and Theater Amplifier Standard.

2.image shows 2 750 MCX instead of the 300CX. Those 750's were insane!

3. image shows a full transition to LAT and EVO. I've got 2 EVO 600's to drive the front LAT-1's, and the middle EVO 403 drives the front center channel and the 2 rear LAT 2's.

In a few days I'll toss out the old Resolution LFE, and in comes MRS.
I've ordered the EVO 555 for umpth years ago (actually I ordered the 525, but when Krell decided to go out on a full assault on BR I changed my order). Hopefully I'll see it 1.st Q of 2011 .... :confused:

Cables: Zensati - spkrs and CAST.
Pre/Pro: EVO 707

Cheers!

Attachments

• martinpi8..jpg
    martinpi8..jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 2,529
  • 040..JPG
    040..JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 2,977
  • Front-LATC..jpg
    Front-LATC..jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 3,319

jussy1254

Feb 13, 2011
full krell

I started down the krell road in 2002 with a KAV 300il and DVD Standard, I then added a KAV 3250 and A 7.1 PrePro and a SACD Mk3... This then became a 505 and now a 525. I changed the PrePro for a 202 and then bought a pair of evo 600e's. I am back to 2 channel and use the 300il in another room. I
I play a lot of vinyls on my Simon Yorke S10. I use an Ayre phono stage and an Ayre Dac for computer audio via a Mac mini. All cables are Synergistic Research Teslas and Nordost Casts..

The latest addition is the departure of my Sonus Faber Amatis anniversarios and the arrival of the Modulari Duos

I am finally there

Attachments

• krell 2..jpg
    krell 2..jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 2,760
  • krell 4..jpg
    krell 4..jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 3,474
  • krell 3..jpg
    krell 3..jpg
    487 KB · Views: 3,098
  • krell 1..jpg
    krell 1..jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 2,875

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Welcome to WBF

Nice looking system

I know what you mean about Krell. I am certain I made many mortgage payments on Dan's home with what I owned of his

Or his Muller collection :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I started down the krell road in 2002 with a KAV 300il and DVD Standard, I then added a KAV 3250 and A 7.1 PrePro and a SACD Mk3... This then became a 505 and now a 525. I changed the PrePro for a 202 and then bought a pair of evo 600e's. I am back to 2 channel and use the 300il in another room. I
I play a lot of vinyls on my Simon Yorke S10. I use an Ayre phono stage and an Ayre Dac for computer audio via a Mac mini. All cables are Synergistic Research Teslas and Nordost Casts..

The latest addition is the departure of my Sonus Faber Amatis anniversarios and the arrival of the Modulari Duos

I am finally there

Very nice setup!, it called to my attention those small room treatment devices you have there that look like small brooms:) Congratulations!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Me and Krell don't go as deep as jussy, but I do have the KPE Ref phono stage, KBL preamp, and KSA-250 power amp and I do think they are built to a super-high standard and they sound outstanding.

fjmcsu

VIP/Donor
Jan 10, 2011
Krell

I started with AR(SP-9,10 11) then started the Krell path; currently with KRC-HR & Krell Audio Standards with Purist Audio Design everywhere. Just retired (going to sell) reference 64 DAC & matching 20T. Unfortunately had a severe power surge 2 days ago (first time since owning all the gear early 90's) and the left mono KAS blew up. Shipping to Krell this week for repair. In the 20 years or so I have had the equipment just sent the KRC once for repair and the other mono amp also. If i remember correctly the repair was mnimal on the amplifier but shipping cost me around 500$!! :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing