Transfiguration Proteus

ravenacustic

Apr 25, 2013
To all of you folks who have had reason or desire to move to the Proteus after living happily with the Orpheus, don't hesitate to do so. Having broken my Orpheus stylus last week I was confronted with buying a new cartridge or having my Orpheus Re-tipped by Soundsmith. There is so little known about the Proteus as far as I can tell I was really hesitant although a generous trade in and a deep discount by my local dealer pushed me over the edge. I won't go into how much better it is than the Orpheus but after a couple of hours setting up with My WallyT and the FozG I was stunned byt the increased resolution, transparency, and speed. This thing is lightening fast making my Orpheus sound syrupy by comparison. If any of youhave questions, feel free to ask privately or on the forum.

Mark

Lotus

Jun 22, 2013
www.lotushifi.co.uk
It's a shame more has not been written about it. Aside from the low output which isn't considered ideal with today's technology, I find it's performance to be absolutely stellar. This weekend I moved it over from a Reed 3p to Talea II and it's sounding even better.

It seems to be the Etnas and Atlas's of this world that dominate the press but I would imagine the Proteus to be their equal. Hopefully some day someone will run a comparison using the same tonearm which is synergistic to all carts.

ravenacustic

Apr 25, 2013
Lotus,

Cartridge comparisons being next to impossible due to set up variables, arm and table differences, platforms, phono preamps, et al, the Proteus is the most detailed and musically satisfying cartridge I've heard in my system. I would have preferred that they did not drop output to 2mv but then it would not have achieved the transparency and speed of this cartridge.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I installed a Proteus on a Talea 2 a couple of days ago. Perhaps 10 hrs playtime. What's the consensus on breakin among the Proteus owners on this forum ? I ran a Orpheus L a few years back and loved it. By a long stretch it was my favourite cart till the Atlas showed up.
Initial impressions of the Proteus : smooth, detailed ,nice punch but on a very preliminary assessment , this is no Atlas. Lacks the speed, agility and aggression of the Atlas but it's early days yet.
Cheers

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I installed a Proteus on a Talea 2 a couple of days ago. Perhaps 10 hrs playtime. What's the consensus on breakin among the Proteus owners on this forum ? I ran a Orpheus L a few years back and loved it. By a long stretch it was my favourite cart till the Atlas showed up.
Initial impressions of the Proteus : smooth, detailed ,nice punch but on a very preliminary assessment , this is no Atlas. Lacks the speed, agility and aggression of the Atlas but it's early days yet.
Cheers

Up to 100 hrs. It is tonearm/phono cable sensitive.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Myles
Many thanks. Has your review of the Proteus appeared ?
Pradeep

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles
Many thanks. Has your review of the Proteus appeared ?
Pradeep

Working on it. Next up after the Magico review and a couple of cables. Figure end of July.

BTW just to be fair, the Proteus is about four grand less than the Atlas. :)

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Till the 10 hr mark forget about the Atlas I don't think it even came close to the Orpheus L. After about 15 hrs the Proteus has begun to show what I call its true PP ie provenance and pedigree !. This may turn out to be a special cart. Still lacks the upper air resolution and crystalline clarity of the Atlas. I guess I should stop comparing the Proteus to the Atlas and simply enjoy it FWIW

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Guys,

I use the Transfiguration Proteus in Bergmann Sleipner turntable and Gryphon Legato Legacy SA phonos tage, I'm finding the fantastic result, very quiet, with great resolution and transparency, the bass is profound and extensive. The use of Proteus was an indication of Johnny Bergmann.

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Last edited:

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Around the 25hr mark. I am going to love this cart. The bass and punch are more prominent but its the organic richness coupled with a gossamer like delicacy thats amazing. In the Ella and Louis Armstrong 45 rpm the raspiness of Armstrong's voice with that baritone is almost eery. Similarly, Gary Karr - Adiago di Albinoni, the deep cello baritone with the richness of the organ crescendos - delicious.
Cheers

Lotus

Jun 22, 2013
www.lotushifi.co.uk
Glad people's findings are echoing my own. The Proteus is up there with the best I have heard.

number95

May 14, 2014
Glad people's findings are echoing my own. The Proteus is up there with the best I have heard.

I am also curious to give it a try. I have an Orpheus which is still quite good but can not compete with my two other cartridges. If Proteus is a significant step from Orpheus, it will be interesting.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I just ordered one. This is part of an upgrade of my analog rig (a new phono preamp, new headshell cables and new tonearm cables as well).

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
dcc
Congrats on the Proteus. It's a great cart at its price point. I am thoroughly enjoying mine but in all honesty it's no Atlas, IMHO

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
dcc
Congrats on the Proteus. It's a great cart at its price point. I am thoroughly enjoying mine but in all honesty it's no Atlas, IMHO

Thanks for the feedback. I should receive the cart within two weeks time and I will report afterwards.

I am pretty sure that the Atlas is superior but aren't we comparing apples with pears? In my country, the official prices for these two cartridges are EUR 3,290 and EUR 11,500 respectively. The Proteus seemed to be a bargain and I decided to take the plunge.

In the meantime, I am also on the hunt for a new phono preamp. I should get several units on loan. The goal is to start the comparisons once the cartridge has passed the 50 hours mark.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
dcc
Agreed. There is a huge price differential between the Proteus and the Atlas. What are the phono stages you are looking at ? Will be interested in your impressions.
Cheers
Pradeep

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Another interesting cartridges are Mysoundlabs and Ikeda, the specs is very similar to the Proteus.

dcc,

take a look at Gryphon Legato Legacy SA phonostage, I believe you will like enough.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The phono preamps I am currently contemplating are the Brinkmann Edison, the Gryphon Legato Legacy and the Nagra VPS. I know that I can get these on loan from my dealer.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The phono preamps I am currently contemplating are the Brinkmann Edison, the Gryphon Legato Legacy and the Nagra VPS. I know that I can get these on loan from my dealer.

That's a great list to try from your dealer. I've had my Nagra VPS for over 5 years now. It's a pretty special piece. Be sure to try it with the VFS base...

Ålanb

Aug 23, 2014
Hi
I have a proteus and tracking it at 1.95 feedback I have received on tracking force which seems hard to get indicates that 1.9 to1.92 is favoured. I am using a Audio Origami Pu7 arm on a systemdeck3 signature. Any proteus user any views
Thanks
Alanb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing