Transfiguration Proteus

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Alanb
I would not be too concerned about precise VTF until you achieve breakin provided you are in the manufacturer's recommended range. I run my Proteus at 2gm and it barely has 40hrs playtime. How you measure VTF is not unimportant. For example 2gm measured on the platter with a digital scale is actually 1.95 gm.
NJoy the Proteus. It's a fabulous cart

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I finally had the time to set up my Transfiguration Proteus. I also took the opportunity to put some new head-shell wires (Furutech La Source).

Next steps will be a new phono cable and a new phono stage in the coming weeks.

d01324b8-ea65-464e-84e4-c088a36e2263_zps497bc046.jpg

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
dcc,

congrats for the upgrades! :)

Best regards,
Ricardo.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
dcc
Congrats.
What's on your phonostage radar ?
Cheers
Pradeep

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
dcc
Congrats.
What's on your phonostage radar ?
Cheers
Pradeep

Hello Pradeep,

I am currently using the Brinkmann Fein and I already have the Pureaudio phono which I got on loan from my retailer as he was not too sure that the Fein could handle the Transfiguration's low output. The Fein has a limited number of settings but it actually drives the Proteus pretty well. I have not tested the Pureaudio yet. I am planning to do this next weekend.

On top of the Pureaudio, I will be testing the following phono stages in my own system:

- The Nagra VPS + VFS
- The Brinkmann Edison
- The Allnic H3000V

Originally, I had the Gryphon in mind but it requires the acquisition of the power supply for the line stage which I find a little bit of an overkill. I therefore considered another option. Thanks to Hammertone, the global distributor for Allnic, I was able to contact the local distributor for Allnic. He did not have a H3000 in his inventory but he kindly agreed to order one so I could have an audition through my local retailer.

Regards,

dcc

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi dcc
That's a pretty impressive list of phonos. I have been using the Nagra VPS+ VFS for nearly 8 years. It's currently mated to the Proteus. Superb phono. I am sure there are better phonos out there but I am yet to encounter/experience one. The Nagra is underrated. WBF member JFrech also speaks v.highly of the Nagra.
Do enjoy your audition
Cheers
Pradeep

number95

May 14, 2014
Seems Mike Fremer loved Proteus. He claims there is big gap between Proteus and Orpheus. At Stereophile.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012

number95

May 14, 2014
Given his review, that should be a very serious cartridge regardless of pricing.

I have used the cartridges Transfiguration models Phoenix (before the "S"), Orpheus (low output) and now the Proteus. I would give it a 8/10 for Phoenix, 9/10 for Orpheus and 9,8/10 for Proteus. For me, the main improvement over the Orpheus is huge transparency of Proteus (I hear the Quads ESL 57's double stacked). If "TIMBRE is the most important fundamental attribute of all music, being that characteristic of a tone which depends on its harmonics structure (the proportion of even and odd harmonics)" (Music, Physics and Engineering, Harry Olson), then the Proteus is a really extraordinary "transducer', especially in the credibility of the reproduction of instruments such as double bass, viola, cello and massed strings (10/10), the solo violin, and the more difficult piano also are very good (9/10); it is outstanding with wind instruments (10/10);The english horn, Bassoon, clarinet, bass clarinet and oboe timbres are reproduced with great fidelity. I can remember the second movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony when it is too impacted the eardrum: fidelity to that instrument membrane timbre is phenomenal! (Mobile Fidelity LP, Japan pressing, 72, Georg Solti & Chicago Orchestra). I almost forgot the introduction of the last movement ( Chorale) with 8 ( or 9 (nine) DOUBLE BASSES at the right and behind the speakers:true low midrange solidity and palpability of the strings. Voices ( operatic) are "in the room " with great presence and beauty. In short, Proteus embodies great transparency and neutrality, exceptional timbre of fidelity and accuracy. Preamplifier is Supratek Cortese ( input with 83 ohms [tantalum resistor]) and 2,090 grams).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHlEn2HzN-c

Last edited:

number95

May 14, 2014
I have used the cartridges Transfiguration models Phoenix (before the "S"), Orpheus (low output) and now the Proteus. I would give it a 8/10 for Phoenix, 9/10 for Orpheus and 9,8/10 for Proteus. For me, the main improvement over the Orpheus is huge transparency of Proteus (I hear the Quads ESL 57's double stacked). If "TIMBRE is the most important fundamental attribute of all music, being that characteristic of a tone which depends on its harmonics structure (the proportion of even and odd harmonics)" (Music, Physics and Engineering, Harry Olson), then the Proteus is a really extraordinary "transducer', especially in the credibility of the reproduction of instruments such as double bass, viola, cello and massed strings (10/10), the solo violin, and the more difficult piano also are very good (9/10); it is outstanding with wind instruments (10/10);The english horn, Bassoon, clarinet, bass clarinet and oboe timbres are reproduced with great fidelity. I can remember the second movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony when it is too impacted the eardrum: fidelity to that instrument membrane timbre is phenomenal! (Mobile Fidelity LP, Japan pressing, 72, Georg Solti & Chicago Orchestra). Voices ( operatic) are "in the room " with great presence and beauty. In short, Proteus embodies great transparency and neutrality, exceptional timbre of fidelity and accuracy. Preamplifier is Supratek Cortese ( input with 83 ohms [tantalum resistor]) and 2,090 grams).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHlEn2HzN-c

Wow a very detailed analysis, thanks for that.

I have not yet listened to Proteus but have Orpheus (you seem to have had L version) and Phoenix. Still like those but can't switch to them as my two other cartridges are far above. Assuming L raised the bar higher and then as you suggest if Proteus is significantly better than Orpheus L, Proteus must be a strong contender should challenge any cartridge regardless of maker and price.

sonorlite

Jan 26, 2015
I realize this thread is dated but I am interested in this cartridge. How well would it match up with a 12" cocobolo Reed 2a into a Coincident phono stage?

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Dear Sonorlite,

I think you will love this Cartridge with this combination. In my experience with Proteus is very important the phono stage be capable to reach at least 10ohms impedance, because it is a very low output cartridge, so I think it will be perfect in your set. Very recommended.

sonorlite

Jan 26, 2015
Thanks Luiz. Have you had a chance to compare the Proteus to a Koetsu in terms overall timbre and smoothness?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I see that there is now a MK2 version of the Proteus, which it semms includes new damper and purer (5n) silver coils. Has anyone heard this over the original? I am keen to hear more if so. Also any comparison with XV-1s?

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013
Hi dcc
That's a pretty impressive list of phonos. I have been using the Nagra VPS+ VFS for nearly 8 years. It's currently mated to the Proteus. Superb phono. I am sure there are better phonos out there but I am yet to encounter/experience one. The Nagra is underrated. WBF member JFrech also speaks v.highly of the Nagra.
Do enjoy your audition
Cheers
Pradeep

Hi Pradeep,

Does the Nagra VPS were a good match to the Proteus?
Could it deal with a cartridge worn only 0,20 mV of output?
Sorry to bring to life such an old thread, but I do own a VPS and will have the oportunity to try the Proteus in a couple of days, but somehow I'm a bit concerned if the Nagra will handle such a low output...
Appreciate your reply, thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Pradeep,

Sorry to bring to life such an old thread, but I do own a VPS and will have the oportunity to try the Proteus in a couple of days, but somehow I'm a bit concerned if the Nagra will handle such a low output...

I've used my Nagra VPS with a Allaerts MC2 Finish that is .2mv. This is at the very bottom of what the VPS is capable of. Some noise will creep in, but it still sounds good and doesn't lack dynamics. You can also go with a external SUT, I used a EAR MC4 to great effect. With an external SUT with a higher output that the Nagra's internal transformers, the sound was excellent, no noise issues with a .2mv output cartridge. My advice would be to try the Nagra first, but have plans for a external SUT...

The Nagra has 3 gain settings. Any configuration can be switch in or out. I typically use the Transformer (+11db) with the all tube MM stage (+34db) for a total of 45db gain. This works great with my former Lyra Atlas (.54mv) and current Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement (.6mv). There is also a SS gain stage that can be switched in that adds another +15db for a total of 60db. Furthermore, using transformers and tubes only, yields beautiful mid range colors and transparency, switching in the solid state adds a bit tighter deeper bass and more extension, more linear top to bottom. These are "slight" shifts and you have to listen closely.

The Nagra VFS is a must add on...really helps isolate this gem of phono stage.

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013
I've used my Nagra VPS with a Allaerts MC2 Finish that is .2mv. This is at the very bottom of what the VPS is capable of. Some noise will creep in, but it still sounds good and doesn't lack dynamics. You can also go with a external SUT, I used a EAR MC4 to great effect. With an external SUT with a higher output that the Nagra's internal transformers, the sound was excellent, no noise issues with a .2mv output cartridge. My advice would be to try the Nagra first, but have plans for a external SUT...

The Nagra has 3 gain settings. Any configuration can be switch in or out. I typically use the Transformer (+11db) with the all tube MM stage (+34db) for a total of 45db gain. This works great with my former Lyra Atlas (.54mv) and current Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement (.6mv). There is also a SS gain stage that can be switched in that adds another +15db for a total of 60db. Furthermore, using transformers and tubes only, yields beautiful mid range colors and transparency, switching in the solid state adds a bit tighter deeper bass and more extension, more linear top to bottom. These are "slight" shifts and you have to listen closely.

The Nagra VFS is a must add on...really helps isolate this gem of phono stage.

Hi jfrech,

Yes, that’s my main concern. Not really into spend some more 2 or 3 grand on a step up.
I have two carts at home right now, one with 0,45 mV and it’s no sweat for the VPS. The other one have 0,38 mV and to listen at the SPL’s I’m used to I have to push the volume knob on the PLL almost at 80%, sometimes at full, with all the inconveniences it brings, your start to hear the noise from the tubes and some more background noise, depending on the LPs.
I do have them stacked in a VFS, PLL underneath and VPS on top.
Thanks for the insight.
Much appreciated.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi jfrech,

Yes, that’s my main concern. Not really into spend some more 2 or 3 grand on a step up.
I have two carts at home right now, one with 0,45 mV and it’s no sweat for the VPS. The other one have 0,38 mV and to listen at the SPL’s I’m used to I have to push the volume knob on the PLL almost at 80%, sometimes at full, with all the inconveniences it brings, your start to hear the noise from the tubes and some more background noise, depending on the LPs.
I do have them stacked in a VFS, PLL underneath and VPS on top.
Thanks for the insight.
Much appreciated.

This is getting off topic a bit. PM me or Pradeep if you want more info. Adding a Nagra MPS to your VPS and PLL will really supercharge them both. A very worthwhile addition...Also I had my PLL and VPS in your same configuration, with the VPS on top and using a single VFS. Adding a 2nd VFS is beneficial...

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Pradeep,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away to a meditation camp for 12 days and incommunicado.
A really low output MC is a non issue for me given that my CJ GAT pre has almost 26db gain. I have converted both inputs on the VPS to MM and use external SUTs, a Lyra Erodion with the Etna SL and an Airtight ATH with a MC Anna. If the PLL doesn’t have enough gain you can try a SUT as suggested by Jfrech. IME, an external SUT is not merely a convenience device but takes the SQ several notches higher.
Completely agree with Jfrech that the Nagra MPS takes the VPS to a different level
Hope this helps
Pradeep

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing