Rolling Stone's Top 50 albums of 2012..how many do you own?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Me:

#1, 3, 4, 11, 12, 13, 14, 28, 32, 34, 36, 37, 41.

... about to preview a few of the others on the list.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
#2, 3, 5, 10, 13, 16, 23, 26, 27, 28, 49, 50

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I showed the list to a few folks in their 20s. They had none of the records. Here we are, a bunch a middle-aged geezers, and we're the ones with the new music: Encouraging and depressing at the same time.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I showed the list to a few folks in their 20s. They had none of the records. Here we are, a bunch a middle-aged geezers, and we're the ones with the new music: Encouraging and depressing at the same time.

It is rather sad because young people do not see music as something to "own"..it is just out there in the ether or on some portable device in a compressed format.

At the LA/OC audiophile gala, Tim De Paravicini gave a talk exactly about this...kids see music as just a bunch of files on a drive...disposable.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It is rather sad because young people do not see music as something to "own"..it is just out there in the ether or on some portable device in a compressed format.

At the LA/OC audiophile gala, Tim De Paravicini gave a talk exactly about this...kids see music as just a bunch of files on a drive...disposable.

I don't know what to make of this either ... Sign of the times/ More msic available than we have the time to own? Low quality?

I am not lamenting the fact that is on the drive truly or even in the cloud ... I do like to own myself . I use Spotify and Pandora to explore and if I like, I buy, rip and put on my Hard Drives and in the Cloud these days ...

I am sorry to say I only own #2 I will try to listen to the others on ..Spotify or Pandora if available there

As for compression 320 is more than acceptable in many cases ... Heresy to many here but I bet it would fool more than one ... :),

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I am not lamenting the fact that is on the drive truly or even in the cloud ... I do like to own myself . I use Spotify and Pandora to explore and if I like, I buy, rip and put on my Hard Drives and in the Cloud these days ...

I am sorry to say I only own #2 I will try to listen to the others on ..Spotify or Pandora if available there

To me, Spotify is a gift from the heavens. I can take almost any record, like what I see on this forum, check it out and then buy it, if I choose. It's fantastic! ATM, I'm going through the Hot Platters thread, playing the albums I haven't heard and adding some to my cart on Amazon. I can't even cont how many titles I've been exposed to solely by clicking on the related artists tab. This technology definitively has its place.

Listening to John Fahey on Spotify right now.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
To me, Spotify is a gift from the heavens. I can take almost any record, like what I see on this forum, check it out and then buy it, if I choose. It's fantastic! ATM, I'm going through the Hot Platters thread, playing the albums I haven't heard and adding some to my cart on Amazon. I can't even cont how many titles I've been exposed to solely by clicking on the related artists tab. This technology definitively has its place.

Agree on Spotify. I first heard the Glen Hansard record there, then bought the 24/96 download from HDtracks.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

+1 ...

I will as a matter of fact listen to this list if the albums are available on Spotify or Pandora and get those that I like enough ...
So much music so little time...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

---- This is a true reality, perhaps not for all 100% of the world population, but certainly very valid for many, in the year 2013.

But I don't feel that it is sad though; it is just what it is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing