Eric Clapton
Alicia Keyes
Bruce Springsteen
Bon Jovie
Kanye West
Paul McCartney
Eddie Vedder

To name but a few

This concert was amazing and hopefully will be released as a soundtrack or BD as it was just that good

Will be largest grossing concert in history

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It's a great concert. The collection of artists is stupendous. They definitely saved the best for last.

The Who, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel and Maul McCartney were the best.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
At Concert for Sandy Relief, Big Names Find the Right Tone

By JON PARELES

Homestate heroes, a British rock pantheon, one rapper and one woman performed for 12-12-12: The Concert for Sandy Relief, a benefit for the Robin Hood Relief Fund that was broadcast worldwide from Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night.

Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi, from New Jersey, and Billy Joel, long identified with Long Island, were on their second Sandy telethon, following an NBC studio broadcast on Nov. 2 (though this time Mr. Bon Jovi brought his band, Bon Jovi). They were joined by Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, the Who, Eric Clapton, Roger Waters from Pink Floyd and Chris Martin from Coldplay. “This has got to be the largest collection of old English musicians ever assembled in Madison Square Garden,” Mick Jagger joshed. “If it rains in London, you’ve got to come and help us.”

The youngsters on the bill were Kanye West, 35, and Alicia Keys, 31.

Performing after a disaster like Hurricane Sandy, which ravaged the coastline from the Jersey Shore through New York and Connecticut, musicians have to decide who they’re singing to and what they’ll sing about. As bands set up, the concert audience saw and heard about places Sandy had smashed through, introduced by comedians and actresses, among them Billy Crystal, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Chris Rock, Seth McFarlane, Kristen Stewart and Katie Holmes.

But were the musicians supposed to be singing about the situation? Sending a message to the people affected? Entertaining the potential donors and paying customers (who spent $30 million for the pricey tickets at Madison Square Garden)? Surveying their own careers?

The 12-12-12 performers did some of each, giving their best for television cameras with a potential audience, the Robin Hood Foundation said, of 2 billion people.

Bruce Springsteen, who opened the concert, can easily do them all at once; he’s the master of the socially conscious message that’s also a full-tilt rock concert. He and the E Street Band, with its recently expanded horn section and some tambourine-shaking backup singers, were in their joyful gospel-inspirational mode for 12-12-12. They charged through “Land of Hope and Dreams,” “Wrecking Ball,” “My City of Ruins” (a song he originally wrote about Asbury Park, N.J.) and “Born to Run,” which had Mr. Bon Jovi sharing lead vocals. “Hard times come and hard times go,” Mr. Springsteen sang repeatedly in “Wrecking Ball,” a song about Giants Stadium that he relocated, for the evening, from the Meadowlands to the Jersey Shore.

Bon Jovi’s songs — big, vague vows of perseverance against the odds, like “Wanted Dead or Alive,” “It’s My Life” and “Livin’ on a Prayer” — also make ideal benefit-concert singalongs. Mr. Springsteen joined in on “Who Says You Can’t Go Home Again.” Billy Joel, whose songs are full of New York and New Jersey locales, had written a few post-Sandy references into “Miami 2017” and “New York State of Mind,” and his entire set, full of splashy piano playing, reveled in mid-Atlantic pugnacity. “We’re going to get through all this,” he said. “This is New York and New Jersey and Long Island and we’re just too mean to lay down and die.”

Eric Clapton started with a restrained, ragtimey acoustic-guitar version of “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out,” then strapped on an electric guitar to lead a power trio in assertive versions of “Crossroads” and “Got to Get Better in a Little While” — a good benefit sentiment — that unleashed his wailing, jabbing lead guitar. In a vigorous set that leaned on the band’s later hits, Pete Townshend of the Who howled “Sandy wasteland” instead of “teenage wasteland” at the key moment in “Baba O’Riley,” and Roger Daltrey, by then bare-chested, worked up to a well-placed scream in the climactic “Love Reign o’er Me.”

Steve Williams

Review: Rock legends take over Sandy concert

By Randall Roberts, Pop Music Critic

Critiquing the broadcast of the 12-12-12 Sandy benefit concert on Wednesday night is like assessing the food at a bake sale: Maybe the muffins are oversalted or the cookies are stale, but that's not the point. The point is charity and drawing attention to the cause.

In the case of the concert at Madison Square Garden in New York, broadcast on dozens of cable networks, radio stations and websites, the goal was raising money for Superstorm Sandy relief, and the players were some of the monumental names of baby boomer rock and their progeny: the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, the Who, Roger Waters, Chris Martin and Eddie Vedder.

Stones singer Mick Jagger, 69, back with his band to celebrate its 50th anniversary, characterized the lineup as "the largest collection of old English musicians ever assembled in Madison Square Garden." He was joking, but probably historically accurate. Even the late Who drummer Keith Moon made an appearance, virtually, during a fantastic version of the Who's "Bell Boy."

Mixed in was just enough variety to (barely) avoid accusations of cultural deafness. From a younger cohort, Alicia Keys — "one of the most inspirational singers of our generation," as rapper and impresario Sean Combs described her — offered her solid blend of R&B and classic song, the highlight of which was a pitch-perfect, minimal piano rendition of her "No One."

And Kanye West, wearing a leather kilt, performed a medley of verses, including the recent track "Clique," his tag-team summer jam "Mercy" and a confident if distracted version of his first hit, "Jesus Walks."

The concert was produced by executives from the Madison Square Garden Co. and Clear Channel Entertainment Enterprises, and film mogul Harvey Weinstein. Proceeds will go to the Robin Hood Relief Fund, a poverty-fighting New York charity.

The Rolling Stones left us wanting more, with just two songs: the cookie-cutter "Voodoo Lounge" track "You've Got Me Rocking" from 1993, and a solid if uneventful take on "Jumpin' Jack Flash." (I was gunning for "Gimme Shelter" or "Get Off My Cloud.")

If true history occurred, it was indeed due to the presence of so many legends who might not again appear together on the same stage. Those players, including Clapton, Stones guitarists Ron Wood and Keith Richards, the Beatles' McCartney and the Who's Pete Townshend, are about 70, and have been sharing stages in one form or another since the London club days of the early '60s.

As the evening progressed, native New Yorkers Keys and Billy Joel both offered love letters to their home. Two adopted New Yorkers, Coldplay's Chris Martin and former R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe, teamed for the latter's "Losing My Religion."

The show culminated with McCartney, who came out with his own band to perform a version of the Beatles' "Helter Skelter," as hard and voluminous as the original. "Thank you for staying," said McCartney, acknowledging the hour before kicking in to his great "Let Me Roll It."

McCartney was joined by the former members of Nirvana — Pat Smear, Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic — for a hard new song. McCartney said the song was the result of a recent jam session. It was an impressively thick rock song, and featured the former Beatle wailing on electric guitar.

There were a few tone-deaf moments, and one early one came from Waters. For "The Wall," he had local children dance along to the words, "We don't need no education." Waters and his band then performed "Money," Pink Floyd's classic indictment of capitalism, with the line "money is the root of all evil today." Waters seemed unconcerned with the garbled message.

Luckily, there was ample time to clarify the night's purpose: By the time the concert concluded after more than five hours, it had nearly turned into a telethon.

Steve Williams

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It was without doubt one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Too bad they could only allow the Stones to do 2 songs as they were late entries

I totally agree. The Stones were downright funky...Eddie Vedder w/Roger Waters was spine tingling/hair raising...

The Who kicked royal ass. Sir Paul...are you kidding me...Helter Skelter@!!

Billy Joel was on form....too many highlights to mention.

Only downer...Kanye West was a sad pathetic joke....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I totally agree. The Stones were downright funky...Eddie Vedder w/Roger Waters was spine tingling/hair raising...

The Who kicked royal ass. Sir Paul...are you kidding me...Helter Skelter@!!

Are you serious!

Billy Joel was on form....too many highlights to mention.

Only downer...Kanye West was a sad pathetic joke....

Just dunno the guy, or is it a girl?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
He was making a joke Bob

That's why I asked Steve. ...Remember too, I am French (Canadian), and I don't know all the English terms and combinations and etc.

I feel sad somehow to break the flow of the good humor, but if I don't get it and that I cannot google it, what can I do? :b

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
That's why I asked Steve. ...Remember too, I am French (Canadian), and I don't know all the English terms and combinations and etc.

I feel sad somehow to break the flow of the good humor, but if I don't get it and that I cannot google it, what can I do? :b

Don't sweat it Bob...just chillax and put on a nice record. For me it going to be a some Nick Drake..some Pink Moon for a rainy day. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Yes, I am smiling Steve. :b

Andre, I am still working in deciphering "out the joint out". :D ...It can have so many meanings, and they are all fun.

1. "Joint": a refer (pot) that you smoke to 'propulse' (propel) you into euphoria/dream sequential.
2. "Joint": a place where you assemble with other folks to check strippers dance around a metallic pole.
3. "Joint": or it could be a cabaret, a jazz club, a tavern, etc.

4. "Out the joint out now": Man, that's a tough one for me! :D

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing