Ikeda 9TT or Air Tight PC-3

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
Good evening :)
I currently use an Ortofon A90 in my Thales Simplicty on my TW Acustic Raven AC.
Am putting a lot of mileage on this and am looking to buy a 2nd cartridge in the new year to rotate with the A90 - I don't want to change the A90, am very happy with it.
I fancy something interesting! I have previously had stone bodied Koetsu's, a Miyabi Standard, DV XV1s, etc - all the usual high end suspects.
The two carts that have appeared on my radar are the Ikeda 9TT and the Air Tight PC-3.
Anyone have any views or comments on either if these? Either in isolation or as a comparisons!
I'm leaning towards the Ikeda at the moment ...
Thanks and best wishes - Lee

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I am winding down my time with the 9TT. It has been featured with the IT-407 in a series of video shoots on the Onedof turntable and now on the surprisingly excellent Triangle Art Signature turntable. The 9TT offers a holographic midrange more 3D than the Koetsus I've heard or owned (Rosewood, Rosewood Siggie, Pro-IV, The Urushi Vermillion). Now be warned I've not heard the $10K plus Koetsus, but the 9TT falls well under this mark. It is very low in output and I would not use a tube phono stage with it without a SET. My results are based on the Wyetech Ruby P1 combo; reference midrange, robust low frequency, sweet top-end and a simply unreal midrange, like Miles Davis in your room quality.

stealth one.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Good evening :)
I currently use an Ortofon A90 in my Thales Simplicty on my TW Acustic Raven AC.
Am putting a lot of mileage on this and am looking to buy a 2nd cartridge in the new year to rotate with the A90 - I don't want to change the A90, am very happy with it.
I fancy something interesting! I have previously had stone bodied Koetsu's, a Miyabi Standard, DV XV1s, etc - all the usual high end suspects.
The two carts that have appeared on my radar are the Ikeda 9TT and the Air Tight PC-3.
Anyone have any views or comments on either if these? Either in isolation or as a comparisons!
I'm leaning towards the Ikeda at the moment ...
Thanks and best wishes - Lee

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8197-New-Cartridge&highlight=ikeda

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
Interesting Myles. When will the full review happen? The thread seemed to be all about tracking and not about SQ - but I guess you are saving your comments until you properly commit a full review.
Looking fwd to your thoughts and conclusions :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting Myles. When will the full review happen? The thread seemed to be all about tracking and not about SQ - but I guess you are saving your comments until you properly commit a full review.
Looking fwd to your thoughts and conclusions :)

Things as usual in the reviewing realm didn't exactly work out as planned but hope to have the cartridge in a month or so. (fingers crossed!)

Yes, the OT got sidetracked but I did make a few comments; somewhere and I can't find it, Rich Brown/U47 added his comments about what he heard over at my place that day.

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
Thanks for the comments :)
I will mull this over the Xmas break. Being in the UK, I have 2 choices purchase wise - I go via the US dealer/importer or I buy from Juki via that well known auction site!
Interesting that no-one has made any comment on the PC-3, maybe it is the poor relation to the PC-1 (& Supreme).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am winding down my time with the 9TT. It has been featured with the IT-407 in a series of video shoots on the Onedof turntable and now on the surprisingly excellent Triangle Art Signature turntable. The 9TT offers a holographic midrange more 3D than the Koetsus I've heard or owned (Rosewood, Rosewood Siggie, Pro-IV, The Urushi Vermillion). Now be warned I've not heard the $10K plus Koetsus, but the 9TT falls well under this mark. It is very low in output and I would not use a tube phono stage with it without a SET. My results are based on the Wyetech Ruby P1 combo; reference midrange, robust low frequency, sweet top-end and a simply unreal midrange, like Miles Davis in your room quality.

View attachment 7006

I see you've got Peter N's big boys in the house Peter. You having fun? :)

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Yes Jack, the Stealth bombers. They are indeed the BOMB, they do so many things really well. Actually they are authored by Tom at Quintessence and built at Peter's factory. They are crated as I write these words and are due to be picked up this am- going to CA for a visit and check up and then to T.H.E. Show. If you are going to Las Vegas keep your eyes peeled for me :)

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Please know that 2Juki is not affiliated with Ikeda in any way and is not autorized to sell or service anything relating to the Ikeda brand.
A few quotes from my Ikeda rep in Tokyo: "He is selling many of Ikeda products on eBay, but we realize almost all of cables/wires are imitations made in China as Ikeda Sound Labs never sold such small wires/cables to others before. In addition, we have no idea if these tonearms and cartridges are new or 2nd hand or used ones or faulty ones. 2JUKI is a really cunning broker, so that sometime it is out of our control, although 2JUKI is on our black list. We do hope 2JUKI will be disappeared from eBay soon.
Of course, we never sold to 2JUKI at all because we have the authorized distributor in Hong Kong and also we have realized more than 3 years ago that 2JUKI is an annoying illegal broker."
In other words, buyer beware.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes Jack, the Stealth bombers. They are indeed the BOMB, they do so many things really well. Actually they are authored by Tom at Quintessence and built at Peter's factory. They are crated as I write these words and are due to be picked up this am- going to CA for a visit and check up and then to T.H.E. Show. If you are going to Las Vegas keep your eyes peeled for me :)

Ah, so it's Tom :)

Unfortunately I'll be in the US but not in Vegas come CES. I've got a long list of stuff I'm curious to hear and the 9TT and the Stealths are both on it.

I'm a certifiable cartridge addict. They are such little things of beauty. So much so that to this day I do not want to carry any cartridge brands just so I can write about them to my hearts content without fear of being accused of being a shill! LOL!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing