The Rolling Stones: GRRR! (Blu-ray Audio)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
No US release? It's on HDTracks for a lot more money than that Bluray.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Question--can a blu ray music disc be ripped via dbpoweramp as a FLAC file?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There are Bluray ripping programs (DVD-Audio Explorer is one), but not dBPoweramp.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Received it today and put in a quick play. It's very good. Obviously, the newer recordings sound better so the songs improve as I listen. It was noticeable from Sympathy with the Devil onwards. More spacious and greater details. I kept checking to see if my surrounds were on (tho it's only a 2.0 recording) since the piano seems to come from that region. Will keep listening to see if Start Me Up in BD-A is better than the SHM-SACD version.

HNY!

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
If you can rip it to wav-files there's a nice program called MasVis you can run and see whether or not it's been mastering compressed or similar. Particularly if you have older cd pressings to compare with.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Hi Nightlord,

If you can rip it to wav-files there's a nice program called MasVis you can run and see whether or not it's been mastering compressed or similar. Particularly if you have older cd pressings to compare with.

I would love to but that looks like a lot of work...unlike with a simple CDA/WAV file. Also, I'm unsure how to compare it with an SACD file. Someone did write a Windows app to play SACD but I don't think he provided functions to capture it to file.

-Hedwig

enya138

May 8, 2013
Hi Hedwig!

I was apprehensive about purchasing this at first too. However I DO NOT regret it one bit. I am a massive Stones fan and the quality of sound that comes out is unexplainable.

It's brilliant value for money!!

:) Enya

soundsgoodtome

Jan 19, 2013
Santa Barbara
Enya

Amazon UK lists this as Region B (Europe) are you in the UK or US. Just trying to understand if it will play with an Oppo BDP which plays Region A (USA) or ABC disks only. Thanks,

Howard

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
DVD Audio Extractor will rip hi res PCM from blu ray disks - this update became available about six months ago.

Some blu rays though will not work with DVD Audio Extractor unless you have also installed AnyDVD HD. I have both. I flawlessly rip audio from blu rays.
Including this Rolling Stones blu ray!

Dee

May 28, 2013
Yes!, the sound quality is truly impressive (even better considering the minor difference in price between this and the ordinary CD format).

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Hi Hedwig!

I was apprehensive about purchasing this at first too. However I DO NOT regret it one bit. I am a massive Stones fan and the quality of sound that comes out is unexplainable.

It's brilliant value for money!!

:) Enya

Whoops, late to the reply. Glad you are enjoying the disc. The sound is very good but I do wished the menu was better.

Enya

Amazon UK lists this as Region B (Europe) are you in the UK or US. Just trying to understand if it will play with an Oppo BDP which plays Region A (USA) or ABC disks only. Thanks,

Howard

For the record, I got mine from Amazon UK and it plays fine with my Oppo (North Am version). Are audio region-locked or just video?

-Hedwig

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Isn't BR audio the same resolution as DVDa's mlp 192/24 bit but for all chn not limited to just 2 chan.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Isn't BR audio the same resolution as DVDa's mlp 192/24 bit but for all chn not limited to just 2 chan.

You are right Ron; Blu-ray Audio has more capacity than DVD-Audio, so they can have 192/24 for all channels (5.1), and not just only stereo (2.0).

It is not consistent (same as DVD-Audio) and they can vary from one record label to another, and also from one recording to the next.
Some have a hi-res multichannel DTS-HD Audio (lossless) soundtrack (at 96/24, 88/24, 192/24, or 176/24), others LPCM multichannel, in addition to a high res audio stereo soundtrack (and depending of who is the recording engineer and which recording machine he's using, and his preference).
- It is even possible to crank that up to 352/32, or 384/32 if they wish too, I think.

* What I find SAD is that like DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio is going the way of the dodo; meaning that it's not taking off.
...Because of our world of Downloading; physicality is dying, and perhaps many other physical activities are dying too (like sports, outside activities, sex, and others ...).

=> For hi-res audio multichannel music; SACD is the format, medium of most success. ...SACDs are released on a weekly basis; and not just Classical music. ...Some International (World, African, etc.) music, and Electronica New Age music is perfect for hi-res multichannel on SACD, and on Blu-ray Audio too, but they are more the rarities than realities.
Economics, profitability, ... are priorities, more so than the art form, creativity on a high level of sound quality.
...And multichannel music ain't for everyone; most audiophiles here at WBF are purely stereo fanatics (analog, or digital).

But we've been through that before, several times, and we still need intelligent multichannel music recording engineers, more and much more of them. ...Classical hi-res audio in multichannel is great, but Jazz music too can be great (recreating the Jazz club atmosphere), and Blues, and World music (African, Tango, Brazilian, Drums, Congas, etc.), and New Age music as well, and Alternative too, and Electronica music (synthesizers, electronic drum machines, DSP effects, etc.).

Music encompasses a lot! ...Not just The Rolling Stones. ...Grrrr! ;)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing