Dirac DSP strikes again

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
This link to a new earphone is the third instance I'm aware of a Dirac DSP being applied (via an Apple 'app') to a commercial headphone/earphone product. I've tested the Apple earbuds and Earpods and the t-Jays Four IEM, and this XTZ is a new IEM utilizing the Dirac DSP. I followed the articles relating to sound correction and impulse response in the Journal of the AES many years ago, and apparently now that digital music players like the Apple i-devices have the computing power to apply a true DSP code to digital music tracks, this is what we get - i.e. fantastic sound from inexpensive transducers. I'm still waiting for a Dirac-like DSP made for a high quality full size headphone.

http://www.xtzsound.eu/en/products/earphone/earphone-12#.UMiAL7S6_zI

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is an interesting application of DSP to headphones. Tricky business as we all have different ears so something working on a manikin is not necessary something that works for everyone else (although that is the standard way to test headphones).

It seems like it is replacing the iOS player too as I suspect the Apple player does not have open APIs for DSPs.

It is certainly an exciting development if it works well.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
I wonder about the relationship between the headphone DSP and what's used for loudspeakers. Dirac does both, so perhaps the techniques are the same or similar? But Dirac makes a strong point that it "isn't just EQ". They talk about impulse response, but from what I remember an impulse response can be derived from a steady-state freq. response with a Fourier transform. So would that make them somehow equivalent, and the DSP just a very fancy and mega-band parametric equalizer? I can testify as to the results with earbuds and Earpods - the corrections are phenomenal, and do seem to produce clean detail I can't imagine getting with any equalizer.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The general techniques are the same so no issue there. The problem is what to measure. In a room with speakers, you measure things with a mic. You are interested in what sound is reaching the ear. Here, you are not doing that. There is no measurement at all of your ear. They instead built a headphone and measured the sound it transmitted inside of a reference manikin head. Problem I have with that is that the reference manikin head may not be the same as yours. The shape of our ears vary for each one of us. This makes headphone design pretty tricky business at the start. Relying on it to make correction I guess kind of makes sense but it is not going to perform the same function as Dirac for speakers. At least I can't quite get my arms around it :).

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
As far as purely frequency response goes, measuring an average ear isn't much of a problem, since having owned 100 or so headphones including a couple of Stax models, Sennheiser 800 and so on, the convergence to so-called neutrality seems to be working very well for the better headphones. There is a huge difference in the fashion/low-cost selections as compared to the better items. Then too, Dirac has gotten around most of the pinnae issues so far since their DSPs for "headphones" have been (3 cases) for ear-canal pods and IEMs. My curiosity is more about impulse response, and why pinnae would make much difference to that. It seems to me that impulse correction could be done more accurately, then if there's a tie-in to frequency response via Fouriers et al (which Dirac isn't going to detail for reasons of product secrecy), it might all make more sense.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing