How we listen?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Do we listen to the equipment or the music?
My recent visit to Steves place made me ponder this question.
I try my best to listen to an entire cd whenever I can. It allows me to get the full effect of the artists performance.
The sweet spot does not mean that much to me unless I'm evaluating equipment. Sometimes I even walk around.
I'm just curious about how many people listen to the best cut on the album with their head locked in a vice.
just my opinion.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I understand what you are getting at and traditionally I always listen to an entire album. These BAAS events however always involves a plethora of new music with the person bringing it always selecting his favorite track..

The one album which we played in it's entirety (not once but twice) was your Jill Scott Live In Paris which was wonderful

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I understand what you are getting at and traditionally I always listen to an entire album. These BAAS events however always involves a plethora of new music with the person bringing it always selecting his favorite track..

The one album which we played in it's entirety (not once but twice) was your Jill Scott Live In Paris which was wonderful

I assumed that was part of the reason.
OTOH hand it is sort of common practice by many audiophiles. I was guilty of of it early on.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Now there's a new concept! I always thought the audiophile rule of thumb was 3 minutes or one cut on the album, or whichever is less :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I should make it clear that listening to the amount of music we did over four days afforde me the oppurtunit to get the measure of your system in a way that is seldom allowed. Did I say I have not listened to my system since I returned home. Damn it. Let's see whats the the going price for a 56 year old kidney?:(

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I assumed that was part of the reason.
OTOH hand it is sort of common practice by many audiophiles. I was guilty of of it early on.

It's the inescapable pain of listening to digital that does it--one just has to get away! Us vinyl lovers, OTOH, have no such problems and quite regularly sit through entire albums. :)

I think it was HP who once said "if you want to enjoy listening to digital, stop listening to analogue". I concur!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Get 5 guys or 10 together and they'll each want to let the other hear their chosen selections. It is just about impossible to listen to an entire CD or even LP side. Everybody is so pumped about having their selection played that the others aren't truly being listened to by them.

John

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Do we listen to the equipment or the music?...

Good point. I enjoy these sessions because one learns what is possible with equipment, gets exposed to new music and meets people with a common interest (obsession?).

I bought about eight new albums this week based on our listening last Sunday.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I bought about eight new albums this week based on our listening last Sunday.
John, I know exactly what you mean. :)

Typically, I listen to an entire CD vs. songs or partial songs. and I really listen. Focussed on the music, sitting in the sweet spot with the lights out. I'll do this for a couple of hours, 3-4 times per week.

Even when I have fellow audiophools over, we're listening to the latest musical finds, 'cuz they've (mostly) already heard the gear and know what to expect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing