I'm just curious :: Opinions, etc.?

mmakshak

May 1, 2011
S.F. Bay Area
I think i heard this table at the recent California Audio Show

Hmmm, not a single reply.

It definitely was an interesting table. The Audio Note Table was also interesting. I stopped by too late to hear the Merrill(?) turntable(the lady there was more excited about the Pioneer speakers that she used.).

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Great sounding turntable, easy to set up and can be tweaked to your hearts content.
Drop by sometime neighbor, have pictures on agon under the same moniker.

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
The Verdier is a classic deck; well designed and good sounding. Interestingly, it is (was) often used with one of the 12inch SME 'S' shaped arms, such as the 3012. Add an Ortofon SPU and away you go.

Skip

Oct 19, 2013
It is a great sounding table. The opposed magnet bearing is like the poor man's air bearing with no pump and no hassle. I have had mine for 16 years and it has been solid. Distributed in the US by Sorasound. Mr. Verdier passed away last year but you can still get one and the components, ie. the motor and the armboard, have been available a la carte, so if you are adventurous, it is a great buy for the quality of the sound.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The Verdier La Platine is a fabulous table that has stood the test of time. Worth seeking out.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Verdier Platine....Help

What can i say. I have had my Verdier Vintage (resin base) for about 16 years. It really has not changed much in all that time so can legitimately be regarded as a classic. The first to use magnetic levitation now copied by so many table and arm manufacturers. J. C Verdier was always a gentlemen with regard to the plagiarists and a pleasure to deal with. His 'children' continue to run the company and I recently got replacement springs and bellows from them.

There a number of tweaks/mods that people try; replace the motor and controller with a battery supply seems popular (something that i did a number of years ago), shorten the distance between platter and motor when using thread drive, defeat the suspension using stillpoints. Use a rim drive motor, ebony arm boards etc. etc. Callas Audio in the Netherlands offers a mod kit for the deck. In the early days the deck was very often partnered with the SME arms (NOT THE IV or V). I have used it with the Audiocraft 400, SME M12, Graham Phantom and, with some difficulty, the ViV rigid float. I will probably acquire another deck in the near future but there is no way that I would get rid of the Verdier.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing