Power Supply units!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Is it me or am I seeing more and more people using seperate power supplies for various components? Is this really necessary or just another marketing ploy to get us to part with dollars?

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Methinks it's both

I'm thinking likewise! I have little doubt that in some cases this may represent a benefit, but isn't the addition of yet another piece of equipment in the daisychain potentially detrimental?

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't believe it to be detrimental. Isolation of the power supply is a plus.

My Lamm LL1 Signature preamp is a dual mono 4 chassis preamp each channel having it's own separate power supply

If it is a plus, would this then hold true for all applications?

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
seems so.

I guess we could close the thread now? LOL! And although I'd love to wield my thread-closing powers, I'd also like to see some more posts on this issue. Any takers?

John

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Larger and separate Power Supplies can have a definite benefit to the performance. As Steve has mentioned in the case of his Lamm amps, the top of the line Krell Evolution monoblock amps and Preamp this is true. The same is true for my Teres Certus 450 Turntable, Soundsmith Strain Gauge 410 Phono Preamp, and the Audio Alchemy DTI PRO32 jitter reducer that I am getting. This is also true of the Anniversary ARC Preamp. My upgraded ARC LS10 Line Stage Preamp may well perform as well as a stock Reference 5 (we know that it is better than a Reference 3, but I do not know how it compares to the Anniversary Preamp). I know that a larger power supply would improve my modified Sansui TU-9900 AM/FM Tuner. I know that in general monoblock amps sound better than stereo amps. I know that my upgraded (modified) Aragon Palladium 1K power amps are much better than stock and most any amp that we have compared them to, but again, I am not sure how they would fare against some of the amps with the separate Power supplies.

Rich

Last edited:

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I agree it's a bit of both. From a technical point of view, having the PSU in a separate box helps keep power supply related nasties away from sensitive circuitry, and I suppose it is easier to go bigger in a separate box. There's no doubt that there's also a bit of marketing going on--and of course, the extra box will have non-negligible effect on the price! I guess it's part of the diminishing returns thing. At the lower end of the market, for the price of an external PSU one can get a better bang for the buck by improving the actual item with which the PSU is associated.

And let's be honest, multi-box products like the ARC Reference Anniversary or Lamm LL1 Signature look good!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
From the electrical point of view, having the power transformers away from the amplification is a good think, as the magnetic field of transformers can affect the signal. Also, the mains current has plenty of HF and RF garbage that is easier to keep away. But unless the power connectors are of very good quality you can loose any gain you got with a poor supply connection.

The now discontinued Cello units had separate power supplies and the umbilical cables were connected with screw quality busbars - a very good solution, although not the fastest to disconnect or connect. Also, any mistake in the power wires could be ruinous for the units and the owner - I always re-checked them several times before powering the Audio Palette!

Unhappily some good power supplies were connected using audio connectors that were not the most reliable - but the best current units use military specified expensive connectors.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
There is also some possibility of mechanical vibrations from the power transformers due to movement of the coils and magnetostriction (bulk expansion and contracton of magnetic material in a magnetic field). These mechanical vibrations can transfer noise to the signal circuit.

Also, as someone has already mentioned, stray magnetic fields can get into the signal circuit. There is generally no spec on the external magnetic field and so it can vary from transformer to transformer even within the same product code. A design can be prototyped around one sample of a transformer, but when it's transfered to production the design is vulnerable to the supplier's manufacturing variations.

Best to just have a separate power supply.

Morbius

May 29, 2010
There is also some possibility of mechanical vibrations from the power transformers due to movement of the coils and magnetostriction (bulk expansion and contracton of magnetic material in a magnetic field). These mechanical vibrations can transfer noise to the signal circuit.

That's why I shield everything with Krell metal.

Dr. Edward Morbius

Morbius

May 29, 2010
What is that, pray tell?

Rich is correct; you have to have seen the '50s sci-fi movie "Forbidden Planet"
which gave Dan D'Agostino the idea for the name of his company; "Krell".

Krell metal is very dense and has a high heat capacity so that even the "blaster"
of Commander Adams can't damage it or even heat it up. See second picture
down at:

http://www.umich.edu/~umfandsf/film/promise/forbidden-krell-tech.html

You can watch what happens to the Krell metal at the end. SPOILER ALERT:
This video clip gives away the identity of the mysterious force that is killing
members of the crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwmKClCAbQ

Greg

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Rich is correct; you have to have seen the '50s sci-fi movie "Forbidden Planet"
which gave Dan D'Agostino the idea for the name of his company; "Krell".

Krell metal is very dense and has a high heat capacity so that even the "blaster"
of Commander Adams can't damage it or even heat it up. See second picture
down at:

http://www.umich.edu/~umfandsf/film/promise/forbidden-krell-tech.html

You can watch what happens to the Krell metal at the end. SPOILER ALERT:
This video clip gives away the identity of the mysterious force that is killing
members of the crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQwmKClCAbQ

Greg

Great clip and movie. Can't remember which Krell amplifier was modeled after the power supplies in the background of the clip.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
They have been using separate power supplies on the Pro side for decades... and you already know they think we're crazy! So it MUST be true!

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
H Ho's Fire preamp has a separate power supply that is nothing but huge. There are two good reasons why the two parts aren't joined as one. Firstly, the primary box gets too hot to touch for too long. Also, a one piece would be too big to fit into a rack.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Larger and separate Power Supplies can have a definite benefit to the performance. As Steve has mentioned in the case of his Lamm amps, the top of the line Krell Evolution monoblock amps and Preamp this is true. The same is true for my Teres Certus 450 Turntable, Soundsmith Strain Gauge 410 Phono Preamp, and the Audio Alchemy DTI PRO32 jitter reducer that I am getting. This is also true of the Anniversary ARC Preamp. My upgraded ARC LS10 Line Stage Preamp may well perform as well as a stock Reference 5 (we know that it is better than a Reference 3, but I do not know how it compares to the Anniversary Preamp). I know that a larger power supply would improve my modified Sansui TU-9900 AM/FM Tuner. I know that in general monoblock amps sound better than stereo amps. I know that my upgraded (modified) Aragon Palladium 1K power amps are much better than stock and most any amp that we have compared them to, but again, I am not sure how they would fare against some of the amps with the separate Power supplies.

Rich
Curious as to who the "we" is that knows an ARC LS-10 is better than a Ref 3?? I am going to take a wild guess and say you modded the snot out of it. If so, what did you do? How do you know that a larger power supply would improve your Sansui tuner? A tuner is not swinging much voltage nor is it carrying a lot of current. When you do your mods to your gear, are you making any actual circuit changes or just parts swapping?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing