Why not active?

tonmeister2008

WBF Technical Expert
Jun 20, 2010
Westlake Village,CA
If you build them, we will come!

Seriously, the advantages of well-designed active systems seem huge to me, but consider the source -- I spent a decade listening almost exclusively to reference headphones. When I returned to speakers, all I seemed to be able to hear, even in some very good speakers, was this edge in the midrange that was completely absent in my headphones. I thought it was lack of headroom, but wattage and current didn't solve it, then, when told that I might be sensitive to the distortions of passive crossovers, I started listening to pro monitors. Then I found a pair with built-in preamp and DAC. Now I run lossless files straight from my MacBook pro to the speakers. I may try other active options (I'd love to hear a pair of Linkwitz Orions) but i'll never go back to passive systems.

Phelonious Ponk

If it was up to me, we would be building them 2 years ago, Which headphones have you decided are most accurate?

Last edited:

tonmeister2008

WBF Technical Expert
Jun 20, 2010
Westlake Village,CA
Here we go. Now we want our magic active speakers to have built in digital eq to be a limiter and provide "dynamic EQ" as well. I also need to start buying my speakers at my local music store or big chain boxes like Sam Ash. In my thread called analog apologist I jokingly referred to lovers of all things digital as digital heathens. I should have referred to the digital lovers as digital devils. When you want to build in a limiter/compresser to your playback chain, you need to be cast out of analog heaven until you repent for your digital sins. JonFo is just the type of guy I am designing the implantable D/A converter I mentioned in my above post.

Well, I for one am a little skeptical about digital limiting and dynamic EQ in my active speakers. It may make sense in a car where there is high background noise, but generally I don't want anyone screwing with the dynamics and EQ of my recordings. There are so few popular recordings left with dynamic range as it stands.

If the limiting is designed to protect the drivers, then it makes sense, but it should be unobtrusive and only used when necessary. It seems the design of limiters in active speakers today is one of the biggest determining factors in how they sound, so it has to be done right. I just tested three different active Ipod Music Stations and above 95 dB (@ 1 meter) two of the units had frequency responses that started to resemble a telephone's.There's no substitute for driver excursion.

Dynamic EQ like what some manufacturers are selling I'm a bit dubious. At the very least, you should have the option of turning it off. I think JonFo was talking about power compression effects in loudspeakers where their frequency response changes as the voice coil heats up and the DC resistance rises.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Sean, I agree about being skeptical about digital limiting and dynamic EQ.

Mark

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You think?

I do, but I could be wrong. It has happened before :). What I do know is that I've heard quite a few active monitors, and the good ones all sound clearer, faster, cleaner, quieter than similar passives, even passives that cost a lot more and need expensive amps to serve the same purpose. Can't be that hard.

P

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hi mep, good post, I was grining ear to ear ;)

Jonfo- I truly hoping you were grinning ear to ear and I don't care if you were laughing with me or at me. As long as you were laughing I am fine. Some people tend to take themselves far to seriously in this wacky hobby of ours and I do like to poke a little fun and inject some humor that some get and others don't.

As for cars, I have a 2006 VW Passat with the 3.6L engine which seems to be far more powerful than the 280HP it claims to have. It is really a nice driving machine and it has less than 26,000 miles on it. I also have a utility vehicle which is a 2007 Ford Ranger extended cab 4x4 that I custom ordered from the factory. I probably have one of the few Ford Rangers that has leather seats. I have around 36,000 miles on it. The thing I like best about both vehicles is that they are paid for.

As for digital, I really think the best sounding digital rig I had was a Pioneer Elite combi player hooked into an Audio Alchemy jitter reduction box going into an Audio Alchemy D/A converter. This was during a period of my life when I first moved to Indiana from Maine and didn't have a private listening room and couldn't use my analog set up. The Pioneer Elite player ended up having mechanical issues that caused it to not eject CDs and eat them instead and it ended up in the trash. I have invested a fair amount of money in CDs and I bought all of the Beatle reissue boxes including the 24 bit files on the USB. I have played them back on my CD players and the digital server I built. I still prefer my BC-13 collection over all of them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Two active systems I would have loved to have listened:
Jean Yves Kerbrat system - customs horns and tube amplifiers :

http://audio-nirvana.fortunecity.net/pag_eng/kerbratg.htm

I read that the current version version actually uses TACT electronics and digital filters, but could not find the link.

The second system is Paul Stubline's Maggico setup built around Bottlehead electronics. But I think Steve will describe this one better than me ...

It is on my wish list if I ever have the time - to build an active system. Meanwhile I live with the opposite: a single element speaker - SoundLab A1 Px's.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If it was up to me, we would be building them 2 years ago, Which headphones have you decided are most accurate?

Ok...here's the confession: I haven't changed headphones in years. I did add on a pair of very efficient Audio Technicas for listening directly out of my MacBook or iPod Touch, but all of my serious, amplified listening, for more than a decade, has come from a pair of Sennheiser HD580s. I don't think they are the most accurate. They are on the warm side. But the midrange clarity is to die for, my ears are adjusted to them, and they are exceedingly comfortable. I've listened to others from time to time, heard stuff I like, but never been tempted to spend much to replace that comfortable old grey shoe. Regarding what I've heard, I know there are a lot of Stax devotees in the headphone crowd, and I understand the attraction, but something about them just doesn't sound right to me. What I've heard in recent years that did sound right, and fit my concept of "accurate" was a pair of Sure E2cs and the AKG 701s.

P

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For the affluent first timer I would recommend the Meridian wireless active speakers with a Solo Music Server. Loaded with their favorite music at least they would listen. It would also fit nicely into the home.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Well, I for one am a little skeptical about digital limiting and dynamic EQ in my active speakers. It may make sense in a car where there is high background noise, but generally I don't want anyone screwing with the dynamics and EQ of my recordings. There are so few popular recordings left with dynamic range as it stands.

If the limiting is designed to protect the drivers, then it makes sense, but it should be unobtrusive and only used when necessary. It seems the design of limiters in active speakers today is one of the biggest determining factors in how they sound, so it has to be done right.

Agreed, I want as much dynamic range as a recording can deliver, and a system that supports delivering that dynamic impact.

Limiting in this case is strictly related to maintaining linear performance of a speaker system.

All speaker drivers have limits, the question is, which would listeners rather have?:
1. Highly distorted reproduction and possible physical destruction
2. Power limiting to maintain the driver within spec

A well designed and integrated limiter will NOT be detectable when the system is operated within design parameters. A good example of well-regarded active speaker systems that absolutely have built-in limiters are the Meridian DSP speaker series, and I've never hear anyone diss a DSP8000 as being a less than capable speaker.

BTW- I use the limiters in your company’s DBX DriveRack 4800 speaker processor, which makes a truly great active crossover. To my knowledge, the only times the limiters I set up for the sub and woofers have kicked in is during setup and calibration of the system. On the Sub, they start to operate when the sub is kicking out >115 dB SPL, and I never push the system that hard. Basically, limiters play the role of safety fuse.

I just tested three different active Ipod Music Stations and above 95 dB (@ 1 meter) two of the units had frequency responses that started to resemble a telephone's.There's no substitute for driver excursion.

Hardly Hi-Fi, but I would guess that their performance could be improved by keeping the drivers within spec, vs letting the freq. response (and no doubt THD) vary with volume, wouldn’t you agree?

I Dynamic EQ like what some manufacturers are selling I'm a bit dubious. At the very least, you should have the option of turning it off. I think JonFo was talking about power compression effects in loudspeakers where their frequency response changes as the voice coil heats up and the DC resistance rises.

I did not mean to infer a specific manufactures implementation of that term, but rather the more generic application of constantly varying EQ based on modeled and measured behaviors of the driver across the power spectrum it is supposed to cover. As you note, drivers change their characteristics based on heat and other parameters that could be taken into account. And yes, power compression is what I’m talking about, as well as intra-speaker balance at low-levels (due to varying driver efficiencies).

Back to my car analogy, a modern ECU will have multiple throttle and timing maps that are dynamically switched in based on a myriad of external inputs, such as temperature, engine load and atmospheric pressure. Some even have multiple maps according to performance criteria: fuel-efficiency, max power and torque, etc.

An active speaker system with dynamic EQ abilities could sense voice coil temps, atmospheric pressure / moisture and varying resistance to possibly switch out correction maps (assume FIR impulse sets) in real-time to ensure optimum performance and longevity.
One could even envision this also being use to offer owners voicing options, such as ‘neutral’, ‘British laid-back’, ‘disco’ etc. ;)

Last edited:

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Jonfo- I truly hoping you were grinning ear to ear and I don't care if you were laughing with me or at me. As long as you were laughing I am fine. Some people tend to take themselves far to seriously in this wacky hobby of ours and I do like to poke a little fun and inject some humor that some get and others don't.

I enjoy a good repartee anytime. It is good to have different perspectives on this subject, and mine are pretty much in the digital camp, in case no one noticed :)

daniel_ronquillo

Aug 4, 2010
With a dedicated room that was wired (power and interconnects) for speakers everywhere, that is not an issue for me. And in fact, just went the active route.

I played the mix and match game for 40 years. Some results were better than others but it costs a lot of money, time and frustration (in addition to the excitement of getting new toys). Quite frankly, I now just want to listen to music and not screw around with the hardware that produces it. I have found active speakers that do everything I need and am not looking back.

Hi audioguy,
I am also considering going the active route. May I know what active speakers you chose?
Dan

daniel_ronquillo

Aug 4, 2010
For me, active speakers have so many advantages (price, performance, usability, configurability, portability) that they will have to eventually replace passive speakers.

Add to that a speaker that is wireless (e.g. the new IEEE AVB protocol handles both wired and wireless HD multichannel audio + video over Ethernet) you simply plug it into the wall, and it automatically configures and calibrates itself to the system as a main theater speaker or as part of zone ( kitchen/bedroom/outdoor speaker) --whatever you want it to be. Every audio component in your house intelligently communicates with each other via TCP/IP so that you can control your music and the system's parameters (volume, surround mode, etc) at your computer or a remote like an iPhone or iPad. Imagine a speaker consisting of an array of powered speakers with DSP where the directivity/beam of the speakers can be adapted and optimized to the setup conditions (loudspeaker/listener placement, room acoustics,etc). Something like Wave Field Synthesis requires many small powered loudspeakers to recreate or approximate the sound field of the original acoustic event in your room.

These types of scenario are hard to realize with a "dumb" passive speaker that has no amplifier/DSP or the ability to calibrate itself and communicate with the rest of the system.

I'm not sure why active speakers have not caught on in consumer audio, when they are so popular in pro applications. Of course, active speakers are the standard for computer/multimedia/mobile audio products. Within the high-end audiophile community, I'm sure many customers want to be able to tweak/swap out their amplifiers and have that added flexibility. High-end amplifier companies certainly don't want to encourage active speakers unless they get in that business too. I also don't think the performance benefits of active speakers have been well explained or marketed to consumers.

For the other 90-95% of the audio market, today the driving purchase factors are price,ease of use and setup and form factor, which active speakers can potentially deliver in spades. The fact that there are potential performance improvements to be realized will be icing on the cake. For some market segments, these performance improvements will be very important factors in their purchase decisions.

Hello Sean,
In this same vein, what $1000 to $1500 actives would you recommend? Thanks very much.
Dan

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hello Sean,
In this same vein, what $1000 to $1500 actives would you recommend? Thanks very much.
Dan

I'm not Sean, but I'll step in to say that there are lots of choices in that price range, from JBL, Dynaudio, Genelec, AVi, Adam, and many more. That is the sweet spot in the price range where studio monitors with 6 - 6.5" woofers and dome or ribbon tweeters get really good. You won't get deep bass, which may leave you wanting a sub someday, but the real problem is acceptability in a domestic environment, or WAF. Actives haven't caught on well in the consumer market and most of the aforementioned monitors are pretty industrial-looking, without grill covers or furniture finishes.

P

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
but the real problem is acceptability in a domestic environment, or WAF. Actives haven't caught on well in the consumer market and most of the aforementioned monitors are pretty industrial-looking, without grill covers or furniture finishes.

This is a funny 180 degree turnabout from 20 years ago when B&O ruled this market.

Beolab 4500 Active Loudspeakers
http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=799
BeoLab 4500 was a wall speaker which was no more than 8cm deep. It had a built-in (active) amplifier and extended bass reproduction, which used the wall as a reflector. The display told you which source that BeoLab 4500 was reproducing at any one time.

BeoLab 5000 Active Loudspeakers......Manfactured: 1988 - 1992
http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=369

They were not cheap speakers by any stretch.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
This is a funny 180 degree turnabout from 20 years ago when B&O ruled this market.

Beolab 4500 Active Loudspeakers
http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=799

BeoLab 5000 Active Loudspeakers......Manfactured: 1988 - 1992
http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=369

They were not cheap speakers by any stretch.

B&O is still very much into active designs, but the only market they ever ruled was the very small active audiophile market. Actives were much bigger in the studio pro market, even 20 years ago.

P

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I have a pair of ATC 20-2 actives. Love 'em, and think they sound better than all the ATC passive speakers I've heard including those w/the same driver complement. And I put some very good amps in front of the passives. Could be in part because ATC actives are time/phase coherent unlike their passive brethren.

ATC..jpg

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Sean - you are one of the few who are in a really good position to answer this question, so here goes: Why have active speaker systems failed to catch on in consumer audio?

I'm personally a big fan, to the point where I believe it is very difficult for passive systems to equal good active ones in anything close to a fair comparison. Sure, a big pair of passive floor standers can move more air, and produce a greater scale, perhaps, than a good pair of active monitors and a well-integrated sub, but the advantages of the elimination of passive crossovers and the perfect match of individual amplifiers to the loads of individual drivers can offer advantages, not only in control and clarity, but in price/performance, that are obvious and very audible. Make it a pair of subs and the advantages of the big floor-standers vanish.

Why do you suppose they've failed to make it into the home market in any significant numbers?

P

Dear Phelonious Ponk: Certainly I'm not Sean but I'm advocate for active speakers, all of you already posted its advantages over passive speakers and for the ones that think that the amps in an active speakers can't be " audiophile " grade we have to remember that in his today product catalog Nelson Pass has an active system. I already heard it and I like it.

If it is true that the majority of the people out there ( customers/audiophiles. ) has a very low/poor knowledge on the subject even " ignorance " and that this factor preclude that the active speakers grow up in massive way IMHO it is true that to re-educate all those people is an almost imposible task for the audio industry. The AHEE does not promote active speakers systems and is the AHEE whom define what we customers will follow buy. Even that Nelson Pass active speakers has not a lot of success.

The AHEE already educate to we HE customers that with passive speakers we have a lot of good alternatives to choose the amps we " like/want " and that we can afford and that over the time we can up-grade it changing for " better " amplifiers ( SS or tube, does not matters. ).
In the other side the AHEE already " told " us: hey, if that passive speakers you don't like any more then you can change it with out changing the amplifiers.

The AHEE is a commercial business ( nothing wrong with that. ) where we customers must buy " easy " must " up grade " easy must improve easy: $$$$$$$$$$, this is what we customers means for the AHEE,$$$$$.

There is at least other subject why active speakers don't really goes " massive ": to design first rate ( audiophile grade. ) active speakers you need an expert designer in at least two not alike audio design areas: speakers and amplifiers. IMHO there are not many out there.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
There is at least other subject why active speakers don't really goes " massive ": to design first rate ( audiophile grade. ) active speakers you need an expert designer in at least two not alike audio design areas: speakers and amplifiers. IMHO there are not many out there.

Pro audio manufacturers design very now-noise, low-distortion, highly resolving, ie: "audiophile grade" active speakers all the time. This is assuming that audiophile grade is still seeking higher fidelity to the recording. There are many examples out there that objectively meet or exceed the standards met by the best audiophile speakers. Subjective? That's subjective, of course, and your mileage may vary.

If by "audiophile grade" you mean build "quality," standards, not performance, you can't really compare passive and active, because it's a totally different game. When you know exactly what individual speaker each amp is going to be expected to drive, you design the load characteristics of the drivers along with the amps that will drive them, the rules change. Amps that may not be up to audiophile standards in a passive system, especially in terms of current and power supply, may significantly out-perform typical audiophile amps in a well-designed active system. Think of it as synergy by design. If you know you're going to have to pull stumps, you design an engine with lots of torque and low gears. If you know you're going run on flat ground pulling a very light load, you design something completely different. High-end, even midfi amp designers haven't much of a clue what their amps will face, so they really have no choice but to over-design them on some middle ground where they'll do all things reasonably well. It makes for very heavy-duty, impressive-looking and often very expensive stuff, but it isn't necessarily a "higher grade" than something that is purpose designed and built from the ground up.

P

Reactions: steve59

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing