Can someone help me with REW?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I normally use RTA but wanted to try REW because I'm sure it's better. However, I'm having a problem that is driving me nuts.

REW thinks that the mic signal is very low - something in the area of -89db.

I use an RME Fireface 400 (pro) sound card and the I have the input of the mic input raised to just below clipping.

The actual output in the room is reading as 90db on my Radioshack SPL meter. I've tried calibrating REW, even used the soundcard loopback (which is withing a few db of each other) and still it can't measure because the lowest peak is too low.

Any thoughts?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
-89 db means that the sound card input is not selected. is this a Windows machine? If so, open the Sound control panel and go to the Recording tab and make sure your RME card is selected. Otherwise it may be using your PC motherboard sound input which with no mic attached to it, would result in that.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
-89 db means that the sound card input is not selected. is this a Windows machine? If so, open the Sound control panel and go to the Recording tab and make sure your RME card is selected. Otherwise it may be using your PC motherboard sound input which with no mic attached to it, would result in that.

No, it's not that. I've tried making it the default or selected separately in REW. I can get it higher than -89, now into the -40's. When I actually measure it reports that the lowest peak is -45 or so and reports that it's still not acceptable (wants it higher than -10).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I was about to go with Amir point . DO try another Sound Card and see what gives

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you have Audacity or some other audio editing program? If not can you download and try to record using it to see what levels it shows?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Also, REW has its own mic/input levels under Preferences. Be sure to check there that they are not set too low. It is under Preferences->Preferences->Soundcard.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for the help, Amirm. Just noticed now (running it on the desktop machine I'm using to write this reply) that it also has an input channel and here it defaulted to 'right'. I had the mic in the left channel and don't remember seeing this input channel designation so perhaps that's it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing