If you have Pass X.5 or XA amps, do you plan on moving to the Xs series and when ? ..

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am curious if you plan on upgrading your amps. Thanks.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I don't think so... I think I could change other components in the chain that would have a larger impact than going from an XA.5 to XS. I'm sure Christian would disagree though.

But then, I'd certainly wouldn't say no if one should show up at my doorstep!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks Bruce. A friend bought my XA100.5's. I sold them to move up to the XA160.5's. I keep thinking about the Xs150's but they are a ways off. I miss the Pass sound signature but not sure how long I can hold out, meaning jump on the 160's. Decisions. I wanted to move up because I believe the bass is firmer on the 160/200 amps.

How happy are you with the XA160's?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't think so... I think I could change other components in the chain that would have a larger impact than going from an XA.5 to XS. I'm sure Christian would disagree though.

But then, I'd certainly wouldn't say no if one should show up at my doorstep!

For me, other than my DAC, there really wasn't much more I could do to improve my reproduction performance. My analog front end is top notch, so only the amps were left to bring up to that level. It's a about a $40K difference retail between the XS 150 and XA 160's....that said, I'm loving the XS amps and feel they were worth th extra coin....for me. ;)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have an INT-150 now and am wondering about going to the INT-30A, since my speakers are over 90 dB efficient and I rarely see the volume on the INT-150 over about "45" (out of 63, in 1 dB steps) which is quite loud. Not quite the OP's question, I know...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I have an INT-150 now and am wondering about going to the INT-30A, since my speakers are over 90 dB efficient and I rarely see the volume on the INT-150 over about "45" (out of 63, in 1 dB steps) which is quite loud. Not quite the OP's question, I know...

Hey, an upgrade is an upgrade. I think there is a different sound signature to both units. here is a good read for you.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue58/pass_labs.htm

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks Bruce. A friend bought my XA100.5's. I sold them to move up to the XA160.5's. I keep thinking about the Xs150's but they are a ways off. I miss the Pass sound signature but not sure how long I can hold out, meaning jump on the 160's. Decisions. I wanted to move up because I believe the bass is firmer on the 160/200 amps.

I think I need to upgrade everything else around the amps first to bring it up to the level of the XA-160.5's!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
For me, other than my DAC, there really wasn't much more I could do to improve my reproduction performance. My analog front end is top notch, so only the amps were left to bring up to that level. It's a about a $40K difference retail between the XS 150 and XA 160's....that said, I'm loving the XS amps and feel they were worth th extra coin....for me. ;)

Thanks Christian. I am glad you are loving the Xs150's.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Are you sure you don't need a pair of Q7's? :D ;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Joe

Sell your Burmy's then take the step to get the xs. Then you are done. ;)

About the only thing you might want to do to kick the Burmy sale along is lower your price by a similar amount you would lose when buying the 160's, then trading in on the xs.

Just a thought that's all.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe

Sell your Burmy's then take the step to get the xs. Then you are done. ;)

About the only thing you might want to do to kick the Burmy sale along is lower your price by a similar amount you would lose when buying the 160's, then trading in on the xs.

Just a thought that's all.

I am starting to realize I am going to have to take a big hit on the 911's. :(

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yep
Bridged mono's are the issue....

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
maybe it is more worthwhile to upgrade the orange color rubber band interface beween the tsdx and the dac2x..... :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing