Records I Didn't Know I Had

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
This may be a continuing thread if people are interested. In honor of Dave Brubeck, I found in the stacks a very nice copy (6 Eyes) of 'Gone with the Wind,' the sound makes me realize why these old Columbias are so highly valued. I doubt I ever listened to this record before.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I know I still have some sealed LPs in my collection. Probably nothing great though.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I know I still have some sealed LPs in my collection. Probably nothing great though.

Same here. Maybe once I have a little more free time, or spend less time on internet fora! Haha!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just found this:

Hank Mobley - Soul Station.jpg

On my 2nd listen. What a great album...my kind of jazz. Punchy, quick, great rhythm and feel.

Also found some other unopened Blue Notes:

Dexter Gordon - GO
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else

These were all basic resissues on vinyl that included a CD and they were dirt cheap. I'm amazed how quiet the vinyl actually is. Can't wait to hear them with the new Ortofon 2M Black and McIntosh MC122 amp.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Cool. That was sort of the point of the thread- stuff that wasn't necessarily the uber collectible, but sounded good.
I also found a Gale Audio Black Box record ~ an 'audiophile special' that was part of a collection I bought years ago. I'll listen to it later today.
Good luck with the Mc.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Cool. That was sort of the point of the thread- stuff that wasn't necessarily the uber collectible, but sounded good.
I also found a Gale Audio Black Box record ~ an 'audiophile special' that was part of a collection I bought years ago. I'll listen to it later today.
Good luck with the Mc.

Looking forward to getting both the cartridge and amp....big step up for me. I'm excited! Should match up nicely with that PS Audio 4.6 preamp. Love that thing!

Instead of going LP shopping, I think I might take a little more time and see what else I can find that has never seen the light of day!:eek: I'm sure there are more!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Looking forward to getting both the cartridge and amp....big step up for me. I'm excited! Should match up nicely with that PS Audio 4.6 preamp. Love that thing!

Instead of going LP shopping, I think I might take a little more time and see what else I can find that has never seen the light of day!:eek: I'm sure there are more!

Exact-a-mundo. What have you found in your stack/pile/shelves that you didn't know you had that is killer? That's why I mentioned the Brubeck thing, I'm not a huge Brubeck fan, but man-o-man, that record sounded amazing - circa 1959 I think and really clean, I really need to find more of those 6 -eyes if they are all done to that quality level. Puts a lot of the modern audiophile vinyl to shame, and 50 plus years old!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Exact-a-mundo. What have you found in your stack/pile/shelves that you didn't know you had that is killer? That's why I mentioned the Brubeck thing, I'm not a huge Brubeck fan, but man-o-man, that record sounded amazing - circa 1959 I think and really clean, I really need to find more of those 6 -eyes if they are all done to that quality level. Puts a lot of the modern audiophile vinyl to shame, and 50 plus years old!

I've been looking locally and they are scarce to the point whereby I've almost given up. I keep going to the record fairs in the hope. And one day I'm going to get lucky and find a Cranberries LP. I know, wishful thinking, but there's one out there for me!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- I'm just curious; did you guys lose any albums before, due to water, or fire, or that have been stolen from you?

...Your oldest LPs from way back then when you were just a young teenager?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
-- I'm just curious; did you guys lose any albums before, due to water, or fire, or that have been stolen from you?

...Your oldest LPs from way back then when you were just a young teenager?

I've lost about 700 LP's due to a flood. They ranged from when I started collecting in 1967 to about 1995. I kept about 150 of them in the hope of replacing the jackets/covers, as the vinyl was fine. I started it but gave up after a while as it was too time-consuming. They're in my spare closet packed in boxes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- It must be tough sometimes for you too John; those were a big part of you?

I know it is for me; I restarted building my LP collection, and expanded it to a point where I was very very proud, and then lost it all again. I don't know how many exactly, perhaps like you, close to a thou.
But more than numbers, it was the time, the energy, part of my life that I lost.

And with that part of me gone, it is still a hill today which I have to reclimb.
Hard to let go of what you're part of, your source...

Now I can only revisit my lost treasures (LPs, albums, records) from memories.
Funny though how strong we get attached to 'music' stuff.
...Much more than with cars, or clothes, or furniture, or jewelry, or even gear.

Albums, records are like pictures, old photographs.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center

I'm a PS audio fan myself , always made decent products over the years ....!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bill, that's because you are listening to an original pressing. Many a'philes are of the opinion that a re-issue can out do the original. I'm not one of them. Some Six-eyes ( not all), most Deep Groove Blue Notes and most Bergenfield Prestige original recordings sound amazing. The a'phile re-issues are most times quieter, BUT they also lack a little a little top end air and punch compared to the OP, IMO.
BTW, John, as a collector, the other day I pulled out my UK original Vertigo 1st Pressing of Black Sabbath 'Master of Reality'. I've owned this LP since new. Today,a big part of the collectibility is the six-fold poster of the lads that shipped with it. Natch, the poster is missing and lost in the sands of time.:( Sometimes collecting LP's is a PITA.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have around 60% of my LP library stored in the room but not that accesible, I have the ones I like the most at hand, so I am sure there are many great LPs stores that I should give them another try.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
A couple of years ago I finally got around to listen to "Straight Ahead" - Art Blakey, Wynton Marsalis, et al. Had it lying about and never put it on. Silly me - brilliant record, where Marsalis actually was responsible for the recording session, and had pre-planned how the microphones would be phased in and out during the live-session.
I now own a number of copies of that album.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm a PS audio fan myself , always made decent products over the years ....!

The PS Audio 4.6 is a new piece for me, and I'm ecstatic about it performance. The noise floor dropped dramatically, which almost surprised me, but I'll gladly take it.

Bill, that's because you are listening to an original pressing. Many a'philes are of the opinion that a re-issue can out do the original. I'm not one of them. Some Six-eyes ( not all), most Deep Groove Blue Notes and most Bergenfield Prestige original recordings sound amazing. The a'phile re-issues are most times quieter, BUT they also lack a little a little top end air and punch compared to the OP, IMO.
BTW, John, as a collector, the other day I pulled out my UK original Vertigo 1st Pressing of Back Sabbath 'Master of Reality'. I've owned this LP since new. Today,a big part of the collectibility is the six-fold poster of the lads that shipped with it. Natch, the poster is missing and lost in the sands of time.:( Sometimes collecting LP's is a PITA.:rolleyes:

I'm not so much a collector of the "extras" that come with original releases, but you are, than yes, it would be a major PITA to try and secure those. One of the things I'd like to do, but have never really done before, is concentrate a little more on UK original pressings. To be honest, I don't even know if I have any, but based on the conversations here and elsewhere I think it would be a fun thing to acquire. Might start with trying to find some good Prog Rock. :D

I have around 60% of my LP library stored in the room but not that accesible, I have the ones I like the most at hand, so I am sure there are many great LPs stores that I should give them another try.

My faves are in my 2CH room for easy access, and the rest in my LR. I've noticed though that the pile in my 2CH room is getting larger! :eek:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

+1

Sometimes I buy a re-issue, like it and then spend time hunting down an original pressings. I don't always manage to find a good one, but most of the time, I prefer the original as I think that it sounds better and is more musical.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Good remastered records now, from good reliable sellers (with about 10 to 20% defects on average), sell for what, between $30 and $50 plus shipping a pop?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing