Low end BD Player recommendation needed

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
We know OPPO is good but is there other reasonable BD players your video gurus can recommend?

There was a discussion elsewhere- if BD video is all you are interested, $80 Panasonic BD Player with an outboard HT audio processor would be close...

Our son is finally moving out before Christmas - taking his Sony PS3 with him...it's bad about the PS3 but very good at the same time he'll be on his own. :)

Thanks,
Ki

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Ki, I just bought a Sony BDP-BX18 at the Costco near you for $65 because my wife wanted to buy the James Bond 50th Anniversary bluray box set. Into a Pioneer Elite Plasma, it's wonderful..... and the Sony gives me access to Amazon Prime movies, Netflix, and Hulu plus. I haven't explored all the Sony internet options yet!! I use the Integra DHC80.3 HDMI input, so I haven't tried the sound from the player.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- The Sony BDP-S790 with dual-core processor (very very fast) is totally complete (features and performance wise) and awesome. It is only $179 (MSRP is $250) right now. And I bet that the price will be even lower very soon.

Instead of me telling you how 'perfect' this player is, just Google it and read the reviews from all over.

I truly think it's worth to pay the premium over the BDP-S590 because of the dual-core processor.
Also, it has dual HDMI outputs; which could be very useful (I love all the players having that feature).
It is 3D of course (2D-to-3D conversion also), but it is also 4K ready (upscaling), so that too is ahead of other players and in the future you're ready!

And it is the player with the most streaming services on the planet.

I don't have to tell you that the picture and sound quality are masterful (top-notch, simply the best). ...Digital HDMI connections.
And the DVD upscaling performance is also the best.
It is good looking too.

Instead of buying an inferior Blu-ray player for only $50, or $100, just add few dollars more for the Sony BDP-S790 because it is the wise thing to do in my honest and extensively researched opinion.

Yeah, you can get a nice Panasonic (DMP-BDT220), or the Sony BDP-S590 right now for only $99, BUT the Sony BDP-S790 is ahead even at $179 (probably $149 real soon; Christmas Holidays).
Just for that dual-core processor alone it is an outstanding bargain.
- It is a joy to have all your discs loading so quick and start playing in a flash (much faster than even the PS3). That is one advantage of that dual-core processor, among other attributes.

Image and Sound wise: the same as the Oppo BDP-105 ($1,199).
...Through the HDMI output of course.
{And it outputs DSD direct stream from SACDs; I personally love this from Sony BD players.}

Look, even Steve knew that and is very happy with his purchase.

** A Low-end (entry level) BD player is any player that is below $200.
The Sony BDP-S790, at its street price right now fits that bill,
but actually it is a high-end BD player. ...Very true!

Last edited:

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Thank you guys! I knew I came to the right place. At these near disposable prices, I think I can exerciser my executive decision to pick one up even without prior approval from the boss. She will definitely like to see her Christmas Story BD during the holidays.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Sony BDP-S790 with dual-core processor (very very fast) is totally complete (features and performance wise) and awesome. It is only $179 (MSRP is $250) right now.

That's the one i bought and it is terrific. I get all my 3D movies via WiFi as Gary points out

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Unless (IMO) you're a true videophile a basic BDP around $100 will do fine. A few dollars more if you want a 3D player.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- True John, and you can even get a 3D Blu-ray player for less than $100. ...Wi-Fi too.

BUT! No dual-core processor, and no 4K upscaling, and no dual HDMI outputs.
And not with all the streaming services that the particular Sony BDP-S790 has.

The dual-core processor, just that feature alone is worth a 'whole lot of bonus points',
believe the people who use one of those players with that very very beneficial feature.

Barry Sonnenfeld, the director of Men in Black trilogy, in his own deluxe home theater pro screening room uses the Sony BDP-S790 himself! And I kid you not, very true.

I am totally amazed that the S790 is the high-end Blu-ray player from Sony in 2012-13.
But that's what it truly is. And no wonder that Oppo is using so many Sony 'platforms' in their own players. ...Parts from Samsung too.

So, that Sony BDP-S790 at $179 is simply a no-brainer for people shopping between $50 and $200.
It is the only BD player to my knowledge with a dual-core processor for less than $499 (which the Oppo BDP-103 is also equipped with).

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Ki Choi. I've got the Sony BDP S-570 and have ran with it for about a year or two now. If memory serves, I got it at Sam's Club for about $175.00. No issues so far and I have no complaints but please do keep in mind that I'm not a videophile. I do believe this model has 3D as well if you are interested in that sort of thing and it does the Netflix, Pandora, Hulu Plus and a boatload of other things I rarely use. I would bet that the prices have dropped on this model since then.

Oh, one added note. While it does play CD's and SACD's? I wouldn't try to use it as a dedicated player for those. For some reason, the Blu-Ray discs sound incredible, though.

Tom

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hello, Ki Choi. I've got the Sony BDP S-570 and have ran with it for about a year or two now. If memory serves, I got it at Sam's Club for about $175.00. No issues so far and I have no complaints but please do keep in mind that I'm not a videophile. I do believe this model has 3D as well if you are interested in that sort of thing and it does the Netflix, Pandora, Hulu Plus and a boatload of other things I rarely use. I would bet that the prices have dropped on this model since then.

Oh, one added note. While it does play CD's and SACD's? I wouldn't try to use it as a dedicated player for those. For some reason, the Blu-Ray discs sound incredible, though.

Tom

Tom, I own that BD player too, among several others (paid $160 a long time ago), and it ain't bad at all playing SACDs through its digital HDMI output.
You have the choice for DSD (SACD discs): 1. DSD pure direct stream, or 2. Downconverted to PCM (at 176.4 kHz). ...Excellent!

But the newer Sony BDP-S790 is bounds and bounds ahead. ...On newer and better features (the 590 is 3D capable, but no 2D-to-3D conversion), like 4K upscaling, dual-core processor (faster than the already fast 570), dual HDMI outputs, and a whole lot more of streaming services with much improved streaming performance. ...Soft touch controls on the player (much better than the hard and difficult buttons of the 570), and few more little refinements. It also has more and better picture adjustments; for the beginners and also the pro videophiles.

Two years is a very long time in this Blu-ray player's business. :b

Both the BDP-S570 and BDP-S790 have been reviewed at Secrets, and the S790 scored better than the S570 on the test bench for Picture in both High-Def and Standard Definition.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- It is such a popular BD player that the price went up on Amazon; $228 right now.

But be patient for a bit, and that price should go down to where it was previously; below $200 ($179). :b

You are in the Seattle area, just google it, and check the best prices.
There are so many places who carry this model, even the Sonystore (they have a Christmas promo right now on some of their products; I just got an email from them earlier this morning, but I did not read it).

Today is December 7th, and like I said this player is very popular, it was $179, then $199, and now $228 (Amazon).
But by december 20th or so, ... :b ...Just google, and check every day, you never know when it might be back to the $179 range.

EDIT: I did the Google thing and the best price that I could come up with was indeed $228 right now, at Amazon, for the BDP-S790. But like I said, prices do fluctuate a lot within very short periods of time.
The BDP-S590 is $98 right now, also at Amazon. But get the 790, it's a much advanced player, and the price difference is worth it. It beats the Panasonic top-of-the-line BD player, the DMP-BT500 ($400 MSRP).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing