Nick Drake - Pink Moon 2012 vinyl reissue

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Nick Drake's Pink Moon was reissued and given sort of a deluxe treatment. An LP inside an outer box along with a cardboard facsimile of the master tape. Also included are high res FLAC downloads. This is all analog mastered at Abbey Road and the mastering supervision was done by the original engineer that did it in 1972.

I have a later UK pressing using the original stampers and this reissue is just as good, and maybe even slightly better. The original UK pressings sell for a few hundred bucks when they do come up so this reissue is a relative bargain. Highly recommended :cool:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Nick Drake's Pink Moon was reissued and given sort of a deluxe treatment. An LP inside an outer box along with a cardboard facsimile of the master tape. Also included are high res FLAC downloads. This is all analog mastered at Abbey Road and the mastering supervision was done by the original engineer that did it in 1972.

I have a later UK pressing using the original stampers and this reissue is just as good, and maybe even slightly better. The original UK pressings sell for a few hundred bucks when they do come up so this reissue is a relative bargain. Highly recommended :cool:

Bought it a few a days ago from Acoustic Sounds...waiting on delivery. Nick Drake is a very important artist for me.

I purchased it strictly for the FLAC download codes.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Are the 24/96 downloads available for purchase online anywhere or do you have to buy the vinyl? Has anyone gotten the hi-rez and can comment on how improved it is over cd versions?

You have to buy the vinyl.

The 96/24 versions, at first, did not seem to me to be a significant improvement over the remastered CDs,
which by the way, were done with exceptional care. I have to give them a few more listens.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I've only listened to the hi-res files once and not too critically. But I did compare the vinyl to my remastered CD and the compilation SACD and the vinyl sounded significantly better to me. It was even better than my slightly later UK vinyl pressing.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks Andre, I'll sit tight on them for now. Totally agree on the remastered CDs...

The one thing we do know is that they DID pull out the original master tape for this 40th anniv. release.

However, it maybe there was nothing more to extract then the previous 24 bit archiving of the tape.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've only listened to the hi-res files once and not too critically. But I did compare the vinyl to my remastered CD and the compilation SACD and the vinyl sounded significantly better to me. It was even better than my slightly later UK vinyl pressing.

I believe LPs mastered from analog tape with the greatest of care SHOULD beat the CD counterpart.

I'm of the mind that the fewer the format conversions the better the sound.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
I have a couple of spares of the uk box set is anybody needs a set

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing