Screws

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I have a screw loose. Actually, two screws. Not ridiculously loose, but certainly not as rigid as I prefer. This is the first time in a long while I've come across this problem; I simply don't have the right screw/nut combo in my little box of cartridge hardware to fit a 33PTG. What I'm looking for is an assortment of screws/nuts that can be tightened with a hex tool, not unlike what Lyra supplies with their carts, albeit slightly longer in length and with nuts. Is such a thing available for purchase? TIA

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The disappointment when opening this thread! :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have a screw loose. Actually, two screws. Not ridiculously loose, but certainly not as rigid as I prefer. This is the first time in a long while I've come across this problem; I simply don't have the right screw/nut combo in my little box of cartridge hardware to fit a 33PTG. What I'm looking for is an assortment of screws/nuts that can be tightened with a hex tool, not unlike what Lyra supplies with their carts, albeit slightly longer in length and with nuts. Is such a thing available for purchase? TIA

What about the Soundsmith cartridge screws? Much easier to use.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
What about the Soundsmith cartridge screws? Much easier to use.

Thanks very much, Myles. This does look like a great option, but 10mm isn't long enough for this cart. I just measured the length with calipers and it looks like ~17mm.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow Felix, that is one tall cartridge. What is it?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

It's an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II. As you can see by its body, the screw has a longish travel. Not my favorite feature.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Wen you said you had a screw loose I was going to refer you to a mental health professional.:b Your local home improvement center has a surprising assortment of screws, nuts and bolts. Home Depot for example. If you've stripped the hole you can usually solve that by going up a size.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

It's an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II. As you can see by its body, the screw has a longish travel. Not my favorite feature.

Niiiice!

Are the holes threaded?

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Wen you said you had a screw loose I was going to refer you to a mental health professional.:b Your local home improvement center has a surprising assortment of screws, nuts and bolts. Home Depot for example.

I've purchased small cartridge nuts & bolts at similar places.

If you've stripped the hole you can usually solve that by going up a size.

I don't think the holes on the AT were threaded.

tb1

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Thank you for the comments, guys. I'll have a look in DIY stores.

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
As a general comment, keep in mind that the Japanese audio industry uses two different screw diameters, one of which is 2.5mm, and the other is 2.6mm. The screws originally started out as 2.54 mm (1/10 inch), but half of the industry rounded up, and the rest rounded down (smile).

Also, DIN screws and JIS screws are not quite compatible with each other, because they have a different relation between diameter and pitch.

OTOH, with a cartridge like the AT which doesn't use threaded holes, you are probably free to use 2.5mm, 0.1 inch, 2.6mm, JIS or DIN.

kind regards, jonathan

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
As a general comment, keep in mind that the Japanese audio industry uses two different screw diameters, one of which is 2.5mm, and the other is 2.6mm. The screws originally started out as 2.54 mm (1/10 inch), but half of the industry rounded up, and the rest rounded down (smile).

Also, DIN screws and JIS screws are not quite compatible with each other, because they have a different relation between diameter and pitch.

OTOH, with a cartridge like the AT which doesn't use threaded holes, you are probably free to use 2.5mm, 0.1 inch, 2.6mm, JIS or DIN.

kind regards, jonathan

Hi Jonathan! Nice to see you post and thank you for the kind advice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing