Proper computer back-up - any geeks using clonezilla?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am sure a lot of us are familiar with Ghost and others. I instead decided to use the open source clonezilla (clonezilla.org) to back up all of my windows and linux boxes to an external 2T USB drive... Why? Because I feel it's the right way to back up:

1. It forces you to shut down the computer you want to back up, so that you can back up a steady image of a disk, and complete with boot sectors and all
  2. It is a bootable (actually Linux) mini-kernel, that you boot from your CD ROM; you just have to download clonezilla once and then burn as ISO image to a blank CD; the free http://infrarecorder.org/ is good enough (just click Write Image, point to the downloaded ISO image and insert a blank CD)
  3. Then plug in the external USB drive back-up device, to write to or read from
  4. Point to the disks you want to back up (practically any filesystem - windows, linux, Mac, et al)
  5. Select the disks and/or partitions you want to back up, and go

PROs: The right approach; rock solid
CONs:
  1. Must be somewhat of a computer geek to understand the options presented; on the upside, you can just select all defaults, and be careful when pointing to the back-up device and the internal disks to back up so not to mix them up. Even if you get the drives backwards and end up backing up the back-up device itself to the internal drives, there is no harm done because it saves everything in its own directory off of the root directory - so you can't really mess up anything.
  2. VGA text interface

Total cost: $149 for the 2TB USB drive.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I use acronis, another disk-imaging s/w. You don't have to shut down while it's running, and I can verify (unfortunately) that it will do a complete restore to a new drive if your HD fails ("like it never even happened" ;) ). I, and many others, have had some horrible problems with Ghost and I refuse to let it anywhere near any of my computers (I do use alot of other Norton products, but not Ghost).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I use Open Source whenever possible. I do however use Acronis. One of the problem with backing up a computer is the requirements to have the same hardware or one closely related to restore your programs and sometimes data... The latest version of Acronis, dispenses one from that , often difficult requirement ...Think about trying to revive a 3 years old PC whose motherboard has gone bad ... where you had patiently accumulated hundreds of software and data... It is easy doesn't require you to be a computer geek and is rock-solid.. I would recommend it to the general population.. I'll have a look at clonezilla, in the meantimes. ;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
No it's image cloning of partitions or the drive only; you'd need another solution for incremental back-ups. I've used Acronis before too, it's really good; but I need to back up a lot of different machines with one program for all.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Hello Ack, I've recovered a few partitions with the Windows image tool, but I've never had a drive fail. Are there any advantages of using Clonezilla over the built-in Windows process, for a single machine?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing