Difference between VPI Aries 3 and Classic 3

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
About to spring for a new turntable , and was wondering if anyone knows the sonic differences of VPI's Aries and Classic turntables. Any suggestions as to one over the other would be much appreciated, as I don't want to change front ends for a while.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
No clue about sonic differences...
Anyway, at VPI they consider their Classic series as their favorite creatures. The Aries 3, IMHO, looks better and it has larger margins of upgrade (flywheel motor + RIM drive, possibility to be ordered with no arm - so you pick your fav or, maybe, you could directly order it with a 12" one).

OTOH, if you want to have the Aries 3 with HRx feet, center and peripheral clamp, it turns to cost more than the Classic 3.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
No clue about sonic differences...
Anyway, at VPI they consider their Classic series as their favorite creatures. The Aries 3, IMHO, looks better and it has larger margins of upgrade (flywheel motor + RIM drive, possibility to be ordered with no arm - so you pick your fav or, maybe, you could directly order it with a 12" one).

OTOH, if you want to have the Aries 3 with HRx feet, center and peripheral clamp, it turns to cost more than the Classic 3.

For what it's worth, I believe all the Classic versions can be ordered pre-drilled for your arm of choice.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was a VPI owner for many years. One thing about VPI is that there are so many options that do affect the final sound. Choice of platter alone can make a pretty big difference. I haven't kept abreast but there are many VPI owners here who have. Perhaps if you are more specific about the specific configurations you could get better answers.

cheers

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Thanks everyone- it seems that there are really no standard answers to my question. I think my best bet is to audition both with my cartridge-Sumiko Celebration- and determine which best suits my taste. That's an issue at this point with Hurricane Sandy delaying shipments. No dealers around here are even stocking the Aries, favoring the Classic 1, and offering to order Aries and Classic 3s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing