Genesis 10th Anniversary Show: International CES 2013

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Viola Labs Crescendo Preamplifier

Another world first - a black Viola Crescendo preamplifier.

The first time I used this preamp, I was hooked. What's not to like about a preamp with no buttons or knobs, a built-in USB DAC that goes to 24/192 (no DSD yet) and sounds like nothing. That's what a preamp needs to be, utterly transparent but at the same time sound better than no preamp. It's something that I'll always do before accepting a preamp. Use a source that has a volume control, level match, and unplug the preamp, and plug the two balanced interconnects together. The Viola Labs Crescendo passes this test - sounding better than no preamp. Why that is the case, I can only speculate.

The Viola Labs Crescendo is clean, clean, clean. Not only in with music, but also the industrial design. I think that it's very sexy.

_VAL6577.jpg

It is controlled using a supplied iPod Touch or your iPhone.

violaoniphone.jpg

Here's "mine" being built - I think that it's even sexier in black!!!

IMG_0116.JPG

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The Genesis room will feature electronics by Burmester and Viola Labs, cables by Vertere Acoustics, and the TechDAS Air Force One turntable. Here's the complete product list:

Genesis 2.2 Junior ribbon line-source loudspeakers: $80,000
Vertere Pulse-X Reference loudspeaker cables (2m): $4,250
Viola Labs Bravo 2-chassis power amplifier: $59,000
Vertere Pulse-R Balanced interconnect cable (7m): $9,100
Viola Labs Crescendo preamplifier (with USB DAC): $22,000
Vertere Hand-built Balanced Interconnect (1.5m): $10,000
Burmester Ph100 Phono stage (2 x MC + ADC): $23,995
TechDAS Air Force One Turntable $$$ t.b.d.
Vertere Reference Hand-built Tonearm Cable (1.5m): $11,350
Vertere Reference Tonearm $35,000
Custom cartridge $$$ priceless
Vertere Pulse-R Tonearm Cable (1.15m) $4,475
Graham Engineering Phantom II Supreme 12" Tonearm $6,000
Brinkmann Pi Cartridge $2,700
Burmester 089 CD Player (with USB DAC): $30,495
Vertere Hand-built Balanced Interconnect (1.15m): $8,200
Absolute Fidelity Power Interface Cables (8nos) $17,600​

That's only about $425,000 if the AF1 ends up costing 100k.:D I don't see the price of the equipment stands in there though.

Wow looks like the Vertere tonearm will hold the record for most expensive tonearm unless there is another arm out there with a higher price that I'm not aware of.

Gary is very good at getting good sound out of any setup so I'm sure it will sound great.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Another world first - a black Viola Crescendo preamplifier.

The first time I used this preamp, I was hooked. What's not to like about a preamp with no buttons or knobs, a built-in USB DAC that goes to 24/192 (no DSD yet) and sounds like nothing. That's what a preamp needs to be, utterly transparent but at the same time sound better than no preamp. It's something that I'll always do before accepting a preamp. Use a source that has a volume control, level match, and unplug the preamp, and plug the two balanced interconnects together. The Viola Labs Crescendo passes this test - sounding better than no preamp. Why that is the case, I can only speculate.

The Viola Labs Crescendo is clean, clean, clean. Not only in with music, but also the industrial design. I think that it's very sexy.

View attachment 7321

It is controlled using a supplied iPod Touch or your iPhone.

View attachment 7322

Here's "mine" being built - I think that it's even sexier in black!!!

View attachment 7323

Looks sweet! Does the Crescendo have a separate power supply like the amp?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks sweet! Does the Crescendo have a separate power supply like the amp?

No, unlike the massive transformer of a power amp, the Crescendo's transformer looks small enough that it can be decoupled from the chassis. It's also in a separate compartment from the analog circuitry so that EMI from the transformer doesn't impact the signal path. The chassis is machined out of a solid chunk of aluminum.

conc3.jpg

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
No, unlike the massive transformer of a power amp, the Crescendo's transformer looks small enough that it can be decoupled from the chassis. It's also in a separate compartment from the analog circuitry so that EMI from the transformer doesn't impact the signal path. The chassis is machined out of a solid chunk of aluminum.

View attachment 7324

That's the way to do it if your not going to go with 2 chassis.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's only about $425,000 if the AF1 ends up costing 100k.:D I don't see the price of the equipment stands in there though.

It'll be half a million including the racks I guess. There will be two, my home-made DIY one and a proper HRS rack.

Wow looks like the Vertere tonearm will hold the record for most expensive tonearm unless there is another arm out there with a higher price that I'm not aware of.

The intention was not to make the most expensive tonearm - but that's the reality when the prices of the bill of materials started adding up. The price is still only indicative, as it's not done yet. I'm sure that Touraj will still be soldering the power supply when he gets to Las Vegas on Sat.

Gary is very good at getting good sound out of any setup so I'm sure it will sound great.

Thanks, Sean. I've accepted that my "sound" is not for everyone. So, I tune it to what I prefer, and as a result I enjoy my music far better than when I used to try to please everyone. I had a customer fly in and listen to essentially the system that you guys listened to (but only digital) and he thought that it was very poor because the center image was not solid enough. He left rather disappointed that he wasted his time and money flying in for a chance to listen to a ribbon line-source loudspeaker.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

View attachment 7324

---- That is one heck of a gorgeously build interior.

Gary, what is the warranty on that beauty? ...Real life expectancy.

* Gary, you have over 20,000 LPs? ...And zero Blu-rays?
...You must be a real high fidelity analog stereo man. :b

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
---- That is one heck of a gorgeously build interior.

Gary, what is the warranty on that beauty? ...Real life expectancy.

AFAIK it's a 5-year warranty. I might be wrong, but I was told that all the Viola stuff is bullet proof. Some of my customers run the Viola amps and even with the old Arnie Nudell designed Genesis speakers (less than 2 ohm impedance) they don't break a sweat.

* Gary, you have over 20,000 LPs? ...And zero Blu-rays?
...You must be a real high fidelity analog stereo man. :b

Yes. I'm embarrassed to admit that our family bought our first Blu-rays when my wife came home with the 50th Anniversary James Bond box set and we didn't have a Blu-ray machine (we play our DVDs using our kids' Xbox game machine). I had to go to Costco and buy a $45 one for her......

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Thanks, Sean. I've accepted that my "sound" is not for everyone. So, I tune it to what I prefer, and as a result I enjoy my music far better than when I used to try to please everyone. I had a customer fly in and listen to essentially the system that you guys listened to (but only digital) and he thought that it was very poor because the center image was not solid enough. He left rather disappointed that he wasted his time and money flying in for a chance to listen to a ribbon line-source loudspeaker.

I would do it the same way. There is no way to please everybody. Everyone has different priorities and every system has it's strengths and weaknesses. I'm kind of surprised he was that disappointed given the sound you were getting. Then again whenever I come home from a show and read reports on the room's I visited there is always some that have a different take on the sound than my own.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My goal is to promote the hobby.

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,

have you heard this tonearm in a familiar setting? how does it compare to the Graham?

i would love to see pictures.

thanks,

Mike

Mike, I haven't even seen one in the flesh. I've been using arms designed by Touraj for the better part of 2 decades, and we have discussed the weak points of the Roksan Artemiz extensively. This arm was designed to overcome the shortcomings of the Artemiz and quite a number of other arms that have been examined.

I'll have a chance at CES to do a proper comparison as there's one turntable, two similar cartridges, one phonostage with two inputs, and two different arms.

But then again, this arm with included tonearm cable is more than 5x the cost of the new Graham Elite with included cable.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I haven't even seen one in the flesh. I've been using arms designed by Touraj for the better part of 2 decades, and we have discussed the weak points of the Roksan Artemiz extensively. This arm was designed to overcome the shortcomings of the Artemiz and quite a number of other arms that have been examined.

I'll have a chance at CES to do a proper comparison as there's one turntable, two similar cartridges, one phonostage with two inputs, and two different arms.

But then again, this arm with included tonearm cable is more than 5x the cost of the new Graham Elite with included cable.

thanks Gary,

i'll be watching for pictures and any feedback you can give. i went to the website but there is really no info about the arm that i could uncover.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ribbon Line-Source Loudspeaker at CES

Over the past 10 pages, I've talked about the music I'm bringing to the show, and I've talked about the other components we'll be bringing to CES, but I haven't said much about the reason behind why we are showing at CES - our loudspeakers.

When Gregadd brought up the Infinity IRS in another thread,

View attachment 7297

and it brought to mind just why I've been so committed to the technology of ribbon line source loudspeakers.

We don't have the space to bring a 4-tower line-source, so we are bringing the largest that will fit - the G2jr - to The Venetian this year.

G2jr smaller.jpg

When Arnie Nudell designed the Infinity Reference Standard, it wasn't supposed to be a commercial product. It was a proof of concept and an expression of what could be possible for the reproduction of sound when given a blank slate without having to compromise on any design parameters. I wasn't there, but he told me that during the launch in Mike Kay's Lyric in 1977, they had queues stretching around the block waiting to get in to listen to it. Although the last of the IRS was built in 1988, many audiophiles still treasure their loudspeakers. While we cannot support the IRS, we still support our customers who have owned their speakers for nearly 20 years. That's one thing that the other company does well that I'm lousy at - getting our customers to upgrade their speakers every few years. Just last year, I upgraded a customer from an IRS Beta (ribbon but not line source) to the Genesis 2.2 - after over 20 years. And over the years, we've helped our customers keep their 10 - 15 year old speakers working "like new".

So, why do these owners of ribbon line source speakers keep their speakers for so many years.

1) First Reason - overall lower distortion
The line source loudspeaker has a great advantage over the point source (ordinary cone) loudspeaker. The most important of this is that the line source loudspeaker radiates sound as a cylinder. The point source radiates like a cone. This means that when the distance doubles from the loudspeaker, sound pressure level from the line-source reduces by 3dB whereas the point source reduces by 6dB.

In practical terms, when the line source and the point source loudspeaker both have a 90dB/W at 1m sensitivity, at the seating distance of 4m, the line source loudspeaker will be 84dB/W. The point source loudspeaker will be 78dB/W - or about half as loud. The difference grows at greater distances.

Or in other words, to get the same loudness of 84dB seating at 4m (normal loudness normal distance) the line source loudspeaker will be playing at 90dB @1m and the point source will be playing at 102dB @1m.

The line source loudspeaker will be less stressed and less distorted. The amplifier will also be playing at lower power and lower distortion. For Class AB amplifiers, this is very important as it is 4 times more power needed to be twice as loud. The line source loudspeaker will have the amplifier operating more in Class A, the point source loudspeaker will be operating more in Class B.

With the Genesis 2jr, the sound generation is also distributed over 12 tweeters and 48-inches of midrange transducer. The point source often has just the one 1" tweeter and perhaps two 4-inch midranges to handle the signal. Distributing the power across more drivers significantly reduces excursion, and increases power handling and driver/air coupling.

2) Second Reason - better dynamics
Even considering the same power amplifier and playing to the same volume, because less power is needed, the line source loudspeaker is more dynamic. Horn loudspeakers are popular because they sound dynamic when played quietly. This is because horn loudspeakers are very sensitive - 98dB/W or more. At a normal seating distance of 4m, the Genesis line source loudspeaker has almost the same efficiency as a horn loudspeaker - 84dB/W at 4m. It is this sensitivity that gives high efficiency horn loudspeakers great macro and micro dynamics (and hence they are well loved in Asia).

The sensitivity of the Genesis at 1m or 90dB/W reduces to 84dB/W at 4m. The horn loudspeaker with sensitivity of 96dB/W at 1m also reduces to 84dB/W at 4m. Not as high as horns, and certainly not as high as the very high efficiency horn loudspeakers which often have efficiencies of 103dB/W at 1m.

However, the Genesis has the advantage that because of the line-source radiation pattern, the sweet spot is much, much bigger than the horn loudspeaker and often significantly larger than ordinary point source loudspeakers. There are many more positions for the music lover to sit in and sharing the appreciation of music with friends and family then becomes more of a reality.

3) Third Reason - less reflections in-room
The line source radiates sound in a cylinder. This means that the sound does not radiate upwards and downwards. The result of this is that there is no reflections in the midrange to the floor and to the ceiling. There are two major benefits to this - the first is more clarity in voices as there is going to be much less confusing reflections in the midrange from the floor. Often audiophiles remember to treat the first reflection point on the side walls, and then they completely forget to treat the first floor and ceiling reflection points.

Even if they treat the first reflection from the floor, it is extremely impractical to have mid-range absorption on the floor. A carpet attenuates the high frequencies, and in fact may accentuate the midrange and bass reflections.

In a trade show like CES, we don't have the luxury of a purpose-designed room, and this is even more important. An additional advantage of the Genesis loudspeaker is that with the dipole radiation, the side-wall reflections are also reduced and minimized.

4) Fourth Reason - better detail and micro-dynamics
The advantage of the ribbon (actually planar-magnetic) midrange and the ribbon tweeter is that since moving mass is extremely low, micro-dynamic detail is very much better than dynamic drivers. The moving mass of a diamond tweeter is about 30 times more heavy than the ribbon diaphragm of the Genesis tweeter. Because of the inertia of the mass, it takes at least 60 times the power to make the tweeter accelerate at the same rate as a ribbon.

The moving mass of the solid titanium 4-inch midrange of the Genesis 5.3 is more than 40 times the mass of the 48-inch midrange ribbon. Aluminum cones will be 60 to 80 times heavier, and even carbon fiber cones will be 20 to 30 times heavier. (Moving mass includes the entire structure - voice coil, voice coil former, surrounds, spider, etc. plus the weight of the cone)

So, tiny details in the music are much better served with ribbon drivers than with ordinary dynamic drivers.

Even if it were not a Genesis loudspeaker, the line-array or line-source distributing the signal across multiple drivers mean that each driver moves very little relative to a point source loudspeaker. This gives line-array or line-source loudspeakers utilizing dynamic drivers better micro-dynamic detail too.

5) Fifth Reason - excellent for company and doing public demonstrations
Because the line source radiates uniformly along its whole length, the Genesis line speaker sounds the same whether you are 6-foot tall standing up, or sitting down. As long as the ear is from 2 feet to 6 feet from the ground, the loudspeaker will sound the same - you are within the sweet spot vertically.

In The Venetian, this is even more important due to the split-level seating. It is difficult if not impossible to optimize for height with a point-source loudspeaker.

So, for the 10th Anniversary of Genesis Advanced Technologies, and my 11th CES, we are finally bringing a ribbon line-source loudspeaker to The Venetian. With all the music we'll be playing, and the SUPERLATIVE partnering gear, I'm going to have a blast!! :cool:

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Now that you have them out of the barn. SUBMIT THEM FOR REVIEW!HP loves a line source.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing