Laptop Advice

DrFlup

Nov 26, 2012
Conan - What is best?

I am currently travelling permanently and my macbook pro is dying the slow death.

I use it for sound - DJ-ing with Traktor, Logic etc. Inkscape and writing.

I am currently loathe to get a new Mac as I have heard the new ones are not upgradable repairable in the slightest and the one I have currently has had quite a bit of maintenance to survive this long.

I honestly have no idea what laptop to go for - I am considering putting Ubuntu on something as I have no real love for Windows either.

Any advice, help would be immensely appreciated -

Thank you.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Just bought a new MacBook Pro retina that I'm happy with so far. Not the cheapest option but I've had no issues with past MacBooks failing so I'm not too concerned about repairability (which I doubt is vastly different than other laptops) or upgradeability -- I think what I've got has enough speed, ram, etc for quite awhile.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Got a retina as well to replace my 3 year old MBP but I haven't done the migration yet. My old MBP is showing latency issues with Rekordbox 2 while doing track and session prep. I'll let you know how things go after the migration.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Just bought a new MacBook Pro retina that I'm happy with so far. Not the cheapest option but I've had no issues with past MacBooks failing so I'm not too concerned about repairability (which I doubt is vastly different than other laptops) or upgradeability -- I think what I've got has enough speed, ram, etc for quite awhile.

+1

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The big question is how much you want to pay. If you are going to put Linux on it then I would avoid the latest and greatest designs as they may lack drivers.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Alright, me too I'm looking/shopping for a new PC laptop (no Apple).

My budget is $400 +/-, and I want a 17" screen, and all the very best processing inside for the price.

So, in a 'candle', a $400 laptop but worth double of that (roughly $800 value for 1/2 price or so).:b

Key words: Fast - Efficient - Concise - Practical - Performance

- I'm not hardcore on movies (downloading), but more into music.
{This is the world of laptops for me; home is different, and movies are the real stuff (physical mediums on Blu).}

Alright Amir, shoot! :b

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Got a retina as well to replace my 3 year old MBP but I haven't done the migration yet. My old MBP is showing latency issues with Rekordbox 2 while doing track and session prep. I'll let you know how things go after the migration.

Migration sent 100% smooth btw and did it over wifi from an old MacBook Air

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
It is refreshing to see someone asking the right questions when it comes to laptops. How serviceable are they? Far too many people get attracted to shiny things, polished marketing, and then make poor purchasing decisions based on their emotions.

The new Macbook Pro 15" Retina display scores 1/10 in iFixit's repairability guide. Link here. Reasons for this very low score: the battery is glued to the chassis and also covers the trackpad cable. Attempting to remove the battery might break the battery and shear the cable. The display assembly is completely fused with no glass protecting it. The RAM is soldered to the board, and the SSD is on a proprietary daughter card. In short: when your batteries die, your Macbook will be tethered to the power brick for life support. You have no chance of replacing the battery. If you own a laptop, and you intend on keeping it for a few years, you know that your batteries eventually wear out and struggle to hold a charge. I guess this is Apple's way of making sure its laptops have built-in obsolescence so you will have to buy a new one.

The Macbook Air 13" scores 4/10 in iFixit's repairability guide. Link here. The RAM is soldered to the motherboard. If your RAM dies, there goes your machine. The SSD is on a daughter card and is proprietary. At least the battery is removable ... once you get past the proprietary screws that Apple uses.

Bear in mind that SSD's have a limited read/write cycle. The SSD controller automatically maps sectors on the SSD as they grow bad, so if you use your SSD intensively (especially if you are in the habit of copying and deleting lots of files) your SSD will eventually lose capacity and need to be replaced. All laptop manufacturers use standard SSD's, except for Apple. There really is no excuse, except to lock you in and charge higher margins for what really is a standard part.

Apple laptops look very nice, are built very well, and have some of the nicest keyboards, trackpads, and displays on the market. But unfortunately these do not mitigate their serious failings such as a non-replaceable battery, inability to upgrade the RAM, and proprietary SSD. One wonders why anybody would buy a laptop with the battery glued to the chassis. Perhaps they don't mind throwing their laptops in the dustbin when it eventually stops holding charge.

I own a Lenovo X301, which is completely user serviceable. Lenovo publishes detailed DIY dissection manuals on their website. If you want to install Linux on your Lenovo, you can do it two ways. One, order a standard Lenovo laptop with Windows on it and buy a separate SSD. All you need to do is to remove the battery, remove one screw, and the SSD slides out. You can then install Linux on the other SSD and swap between them as you wish. And yes, instructions and drivers for Linux are available on Lenovo's website. The second way is to order a laptop preconfigured with Linux from Lenovo.*

I can not comment on the others (Dell, HP, Asus, Fujitsu, Sony, etc) except to say that Sony's and Toshiba's are far less DIY friendly than Lenovo. Neither Sony nor Toshiba publish DIY dissection manuals, and the drivers weren't readily available the last time I looked.

I would second Amir's suggestion that you avoid anything with radical hardware (e.g. touch screens) unless you want to run Windows 8.

* (edit) I just checked Lenovo's website. Some models can not be ordered with Linux. Regardless, nearly all laptops in the PC world have easily replaceable SSD's. Just make sure that Linux drivers are available before buying.

Last edited:

DrFlup

Nov 26, 2012

Thank you for replying :)
What specs did you go for? How long did you use your previous macs before upgrading. I have used my current one for over six years or so.

DrFlup

Nov 26, 2012
The big question is how much you want to pay. If you are going to put Linux on it then I would avoid the latest and greatest designs as they may lack drivers.

As I used it for business - I could probably go as far as a full specced retina display if it turned out that was the wisest purchase that would last me, perhaps the same length of time as my current MPB - 6 ongoing years. Thank you for the reply.

DrFlup

Nov 26, 2012
Migration sent 100% smooth btw and did it over wifi from an old MacBook Air

Since OS X I have never had a problem with migration - I have to say mac did a fine job with that. Thanks for the reply :)

DrFlup

Nov 26, 2012
The new Macbook Pro 15" Retina display scores 1/10 in iFixit's repairability guide. Link here. Reasons for this very low score: the battery is glued to the chassis and also covers the trackpad cable. Attempting to remove the battery might break the battery and shear the cable. The display assembly is completely fused with no glass protecting it. The RAM is soldered to the board, and the SSD is on a proprietary daughter card. In short: when your batteries die, your Macbook will be tethered to the power brick for life support. You have no chance of replacing the battery.

The Macbook Air 13" scores 4/10 in iFixit's repairability guide. Link here. The RAM is soldered to the motherboard. If your RAM dies, there goes your machine. The SSD is on a daughter card and is proprietary. At least the battery is removable ... once you get past the proprietary screws that Apple uses.

Bear in mind that SSD's have a limited read/write cycle. The SSD controller automatically maps sectors on the SSD as they grow bad, so if you use your SSD intensively (especially if you are in the habit of copying and deleting lots of files) your SSD will eventually lose capacity and need to be replaced.

Apple laptops look very nice, are built very well, and have some of the nicest keyboards, trackpads, and displays on the market. But unfortunately these do not mitigate their serious failings such as a non-replaceable battery, inability to upgrade the RAM, and proprietary SSD. One wonders why anybody would buy a laptop with the battery glued to the chassis. Perhaps they don't mind throwing their laptops in the dustbin when it eventually stops holding charge.

I own a Lenovo X301, which is completely user serviceable. Lenovo publishes detailed DIY dissection manuals on their website. If you want to install Linux on your Lenovo, you can do it two ways. One, order a standard Lenovo laptop with Windows on it and buy a separate SSD. All you need to do is to remove the battery, remove one screw, and the SSD slides out. You can then install Linux on the other SSD and swap between them as you wish. And yes, instructions and drivers for Linux are available on Lenovo's website. The second way is to order a laptop preconfigured with Linux from Lenovo.*

I can not comment on the others (Dell, HP, Asus, Fujitsu, Sony, etc) except to say that Sony's and Toshiba's are far less DIY friendly than Lenovo. Neither Sony nor Toshiba publish DIY dissection manuals, and the drivers weren't readily available the last time I looked.

I would second Amir's suggestion that you avoid anything with radical hardware (e.g. touch screens) unless you want to run Windows 8.

* (edit) I just checked Lenovo's website. Some models can not be ordered with Linux. Regardless, nearly all laptops in the PC world have easily replaceable SSD's. Just make sure that Linux drivers are available before buying.

Thanks for the awesome reply.

Yes - my previous MPB - the one I am using now, is far more repairable and upgradable. My question there would be - do you know if I do not go for the SSD drive, the retina display - go for the old school HD and display - do I then get an older style MPB that I can get under the chassis so to speak? Or have they locked you out of even the run of the mill MPB?

I do a lot of file movement - as such I am unsure if SSDs are right for me.

Yeah - I was looking at the IBM/Lenovo stuff - how long have you had your Lenovo? Any cons to it? I think last I looked they seemed a bit clunky. I was perhaps looking to streamline a bit, but I will give this over in favour of a war horse that keeps ticking.

I have heard vague good rumouring on the new Asus - but nothing concrete except the old "I heard from a friend that..."

Thank you again, for the detailed response, greatly appreciated

DrFlup

Nov 26, 2012
And if I missed anyone - Thank You! For joining the discussion and replying - this laptop conundrum has been giving me a headache for months now.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What's the top recommendation of the boys from Native Instruments?

DrFlup

Nov 26, 2012
What's the top recommendation of the boys from Native Instruments?

You know - I actually didn't think of asking.

I should go do that - I did a bit of searching and found this place and figured it offered the best chance of getting a good level debate and discussion from which I could deduce.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This is a great place for that :)

I was just thinking that if you want to continue using Logic, I don't know if it is available on any other OS. As an early Traktor user (2003 to 2004) it's traditionally been a Mac thing but that changed a few years ago. Since I only play at home I'm back to CDJ-2000s a 900 Nexus and a couple of USB sticks so I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to Software play and interfaces.

DrFlup

Nov 26, 2012
This is a great place for that :)

I was just thinking that if you want to continue using Logic, I don't know if it is available on any other OS. As an early Traktor user (2003 to 2004) it's traditionally been a Mac thing but that changed a few years ago. Since I only play at home I'm back to CDJ-2000s a 900 Nexus and a couple of USB sticks so I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to Software play and interfaces.

Yeah - I am somewhat worried about the fact that some of best software seems native to Mac. Though maybe that is changing - it has been awhile since I looked.

I have yet to pin someone down on the old spec MPB - with the normal HD and display - that is what I am most curious about - if that retains its accessibility - ability to replace the battery - then - yeah I'd perhaps go with that - perhaps. I am really loathe to go with Mac, I disagree with their policies so much.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've been feeling that way too about a few issues. Everything used to be so easy. I wonder if things are getting convoluted or I'm just getting old.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing