What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

Lotus

Jun 22, 2013
www.lotushifi.co.uk
Looking really nice Sean

user510

Jul 12, 2011
Raymond, Wa USA
www.theanalogdept.com
sp10 mk2 in Mule plinth

My current TT of interest is the SP10 mkII in the photos below.

It took me a while to come up with a plinth design for this motor unit that would not make a 9 inch tonearm, if mounted to it, look like a mismatch. I think that part is successful. Originally I called this plinth the "Test Mule". The idea being to use a minimum mass plinth to support the motor unit in while testing for rumble and wow/flutter was carried out. Now that I've heard this motor unit in the "Test Mule" I've decided to rename the plinth to something more permanent sounding; The Mule. By accident it echos a character from an Azimov novel. But I like the reference as well as I like the sound of this combo.

This is an ongoing restoration project. At present the motor unit operates without any perceivable fault. SQ seems really good to my ears. Tonearm is the Graham 2.2, which I picked up 2nd hand a few years back. The cartridge is a Shelter 501 type II. I've had the Shelter since 2003. Earlier this year I had Andy Chong recondition the suspension and then replace the diamond stylus into the same solid boron cantilever. Afterwards, the cartridge truly sounds as it did when its hours were low. I may just keep taking the cartridge back to Andy periodically to keep it in tip top order.

At present I have it standing on a Minus-K isolation platform. The granite plate below the Neuance shelf is there to meet minimum weight load requirements of this rather hefty Minus-K. It may look like it belongs in a Lab somewhere, but its contribution to the SQ of my turntables is unmistakeable. So it definitely belongs in my listening room these days. Life would not be right without it.

I also keep a few Thorens TD124 motor units around. This one below gets frequent duty in the listening room

For several years I listened to a Teres model 145.

Here's a shot of it in a custom base I made for it:

I sold the Teres back in 2010.

-Steve
ps: link to my SP10 restoration page: http://www.theanalogdept.com/user510_sp10_mkii.htm

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

It took me a while to come up with a plinth design for this motor unit that would not make a 9 inch tonearm, if mounted to it, look like a mismatch. I think that part is successful. Originally I called this plinth the "Test Mule". The idea being to use a minimum mass plinth to support the motor unit in while testing for rumble and wow/flutter was carried out. Now that I've heard this motor unit in the "Test Mule" I've decided to rename the plinth to something more permanent sounding; The Mule. By accident it echos a character from an Azimov novel. But I like the reference as well as I like the sound of this combo.

This is an ongoing restoration project. At present the motor unit operates without any perceivable fault. SQ seems really good to my ears. Tonearm is the Graham 2.2, which I picked up 2nd hand a few years back. The cartridge is a Shelter 501 type II. I've had the Shelter since 2003. Earlier this year I had Andy Chong recondition the suspension and then replace the diamond stylus into the same solid boron cantilever. Afterwards, the cartridge truly sounds as it did when its hours were low. I may just keep taking the cartridge back to Andy periodically to keep it in tip top order.

At present I have it standing on a Minus-K isolation platform. The granite plate below the Neuance shelf is there to meet minimum weight load requirements of this rather hefty Minus-K. It may look like it belongs in a Lab somewhere, but its contribution to the SQ of my turntables is unmistakeable. So it definitely belongs in my listening room these days. Life would not be right without it.

I also keep a few Thorens TD124 motor units around. This one below gets frequent duty in the listening room

-Steve
ps: link to my SP10 restoration page: http://www.theanalogdept.com/user510_sp10_mkii.htm

Hi Steve. Looks like your from my neck of the woods. Welcome to WBF. I like the look of your plinth. Getting a 9" inch arm to look right on the SP10 is tough but it looks like you succeeded. Was the plinth difficult to machine?

I have heard good things about the Minus-K. I bet it sounds great. Have you tried any aftermarket TT mats on your SP-10 mk2?

user510

Jul 12, 2011
Raymond, Wa USA
www.theanalogdept.com
Hi Steve. Looks like your from my neck of the woods. Welcome to WBF. I like the look of your plinth. Getting a 9" inch arm to look right on the SP10 is tough but it looks like you succeeded. Was the plinth difficult to machine?

I have heard good things about the Minus-K. I bet it sounds great. Have you tried any aftermarket TT mats on your SP-10 mk2?

Hi Sean.
With the textured black enamel it doesn't show that the Mule plinth is constructed from baltic birch multi-ply. 1/2 inch layers. It wasn't so much difficult as just plain detailed and tedious to build. It took some time from beginning to finish.

I've only used the original mat on this. Although I have plans to try a few others out. But I will wait until after the restoration is complete. At the top of the list would be a Boston Audio mat 2. And that is based on comments around the web in forums that I have read. But I also have some ideas for mat designs of my own.

I'm in Lynnwood. Come on over and have a gander at this Minus-K. To watch this thing in action is different from trying to imagine how it works.

-Steve

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Hi Sean.
With the textured black enamel it doesn't show that the Mule plinth is constructed from baltic birch multi-ply. 1/2 inch layers. It wasn't so much difficult as just plain detailed and tedious to build. It took some time from beginning to finish.

I've only used the original mat on this. Although I have plans to try a few others out. But I will wait until after the restoration is complete. At the top of the list would be a Boston Audio mat 2. And that is based on comments around the web in forums that I have read. But I also have some ideas for mat designs of my own.

I'm in Lynnwood. Come on over and have a gander at this Minus-K. To watch this thing in action is different from trying to imagine how it works.

-Steve

Sure I would like to check out your setup. I'm up in Everett. I have a Boston Audio Mat 1 I could bring over if you want to try it out. It's not quite as thick as the Mat 2 but it should give you a taste of the BA sound. PM me your contact info.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Hi neighbor! Beautiful set up. The Hagerman unit is killer. Bet it sounds terrific. What kind of music do you spin?

user510

Jul 12, 2011
Raymond, Wa USA
www.theanalogdept.com
Hi Steve,

Hi neighbor! Beautiful set up. The Hagerman unit is killer. Bet it sounds terrific. What kind of music do you spin?

Hi neighbor yerself. Nice to hear from you.

The Hagerman Trumpet I received in February this year. I'm very happy with it. It suits me perfectly....and it fits my turntable stand (grin).

re: listening list
In recent years I've put more focus on classical recordings. Most are from the "stereo" period. late fifties through to the early seventies. Full orchestral. chamber orchestra. String quartets. Particularly, Beethoven string quartets.
I've acquired plenty of Mahler recordings. Then I think I found the conductor/orchestra that does Mahler to my liking.....Abravanel / Utah Symphonic Orchestra On Vanguard. Sebelius. Shostakovich. Stravinsky.

I also spin some jazz from the hard bop period and into the modal and then some from the progressive recordings in the sixties. But I'm a Jazz lightweight. Let's not forget Louis Armstrong. 'got some of that on Audio Fidelity.
Rock: mostly sixties, seventies and some eighties. I don't venture too far off from the well beaten path but have some goodies. I should have more Chuck Berry than I do.

More recent recordings I tend to have on CD. With records, the analog recordings mostly stopped in the 1980's. That's where records drop off.

like that.

-Steve

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome Steve to the WBF. I very much admire your skills with regard to the pics you posted. Beautiful work!:D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Hi all

Here is my current deck - a Yamaha GT 2000 with outboard psu. Built in the 1980's it is a huge turntable, weighing 28 kg.
GT actually stands for "Gigantic & Tremendous".

I have a WTL Versalex coming end of January.

Thanks for looking

2013-11-24123739_zpsaec34344.jpg

2013-12-27 15.39.45.jpg 2013-12-21 14.05.35.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Don_Camillo

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
technics SP10 mk3 with Stillpoint feet and the wonderful micro seiki cu-180 copper gun metal platter mat. especially love the cu-180 matt - Its as good as its history suggests.

technics 1.jpg technics 2.jpg

Reactions: Don_Camillo

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Syntax and a few of his "classic" remarks:

"09-13-12: Syntax
....the kiss of death....

In Analog we will find everything but in my opinion, lots of those units became
a Boutique Character (expensive bottle, cheap fluid inside). All those expensive
units have one in common (when we look back):
GREAT Reviews, lots of Hype
and at the end of Day it was more or less nothing to write home about
(sonically). Some examples?

Goldmund Reference
The Mother of Hype, but the moving Arm changes Azimuth in every groove, the
table itself has a good soundstage, but details are all smeared AND it destroys
every cantilever after some time.

Rockport Sirius III
The American Altar, but the Arm wire inside is so stiff that the Arm can not
track the inner 3 tracks properly, it skips, the only way out is to use a very
heavy cartridge, but the cantilever will be destroyed very soon. And the sound is
ultra thin, completely lifeless without any body. Great engineering, missing the
sonic target by a mile.

Montegiro
A super expensive German Turntable 30k+, endless rave and hype and during
its demo at the High End Show the bearing broke. A typical example for
Boutique. Now they are available for 1/5th price, company is out of business.

Continuum
Framers Finest. I listened to it 3 times, professionally set up from the Importer.
2x it was defect and the 3 time the connected Phonostage had a problem (or
the Arm wire, Phonamp, Cartridge). I always said "Mono IS interesting"
Anyway, that Company is also more or less out of Business what
Australians wrote me. Buy replacement Parts NOW.

Airtangent
The Mother of of all Airliners. Super, super expensive at that time, Hype
endless, bloody knees from Audiophiles - from kneeling in front of it - was
normal, even more expensive with optional remote VTA....but it never worked
properly. The Airflow in some areas was not constant, so..well, you can
imagine...

NVS
The Mother of a "Game-Changer" Product, defect bearing while RMAF but some
wrote, even with that defect bearing it sounded fantastic (great or?) and in some
discussions in Seattle area some buyers wrote how happy they are now
"being a member of the Club."
A pity that the thread about was deleted :)
No knowledge (from the whole Chain Manufacturer-Distributor-User) about
shipping, no knowledge about platter mechanism, no damping was a result of
that damage and honestly, buying a product from "Engineers" who
have absolutely no idea about technical connections ...well, good luck.

Thorens Reference
The Audiophile Answer from Germany to Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Heavy and it will show every visitor "Hey, I am something serious"
In real life you can get the identical sonic quality from every 2-3k$ turntable
today. But the motor management is good.

Wood Arms
Well, let's face the truth, a piece of wood at a string or 'in long' for 16K$ has to
be touched from God AND made from some ultra secret, mystic material, stolen
from the NASA...Energy transfer? What is THAT, we want Emotion... well,
Boutique,...Geometry? Pardon, WHAT? The best bearing is no bearing...
blubber...
Of course you need a 12k+++ Cartridge to get the full sonic impact the Arm is
able to deliver

Linn
Well, even after 30 years they find revolutionary 'improvements'...in a way the
ARC Company in analog. To catch the same customer again and again, that's
brilliant. Sonically? When you want a different sound, all you have to do is to
open the window...

Of course, all owners, no matter from what expensive product, will write that
their unit is an exception and is working like a charm etc. But let's face the
facts: It is the money what counts.
The wealthy Audiophile likes to show others how clever he is and what
expensive units he owns, he wants the Respect to be accepted as an
"Experienced Audiophile" but at the end of day, he also wants
money when he sells that Sonic Wonder. Who writes "Yes, I have that T3F,
Rockport, ...and it is really inferior, but I like it?"
No one.

Is there a way out?
Of course.
Let's visit Dover and steal his Turntable :)
Syntax (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

I know it's a bit Marmite, but I have personally discussed a few things with Syntax directly and I found him utterly approachable, helpful and very well reasoned. His opinions are formed from actual experience as opposed to speculative theory, and he tends to speak more sense than many out there. He does not advocate spending for the sake of it.

Like Martin Colloms, he doesn't 'follow the crowd' and I respect that. Disagree all you like, but it's funny that he happens to use one of KArmeli's 'Beyond' turntables that by consensus is regarded as brilliant - so I guess 'all roads do lead to Rome' likewise he has spoken highly of the Koetsu Coralstone and Zyx too.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Here's what I have set up until I get my man cave

IMG_0357.JPG

This is my heavily modified Townshend Elite Rock. Many upgrades yet to fit:
Polycarbonate arm board
Helius omega arm/ fidelity research fr64/ Moët has dp6
Transfiguration temper; Emt tsd15, or shelter 501mk2 cartridge

The mods are:

Acrylic platter
Berger Lahrs motor - taken from a Dps
Bernhard fuss two phase power supply
Origin live belt - unfortunately ordered one too long

At present the tonearm is a mission/jello that I got with the deck and only a demon dl103r cartridge - wanted to know what the fuss was about.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I know it's a bit Marmite, but I have personally discussed a few things with Syntax directly and I found him utterly approachable, helpful and very well reasoned. His opinions are formed from actual experience as opposed to speculative theory, and he tends to speak more sense than many out there. He does not advocate spending for the sake of it.

Like Martin Colloms, he doesn't 'follow the crowd' and I respect that. Disagree all you like, but it's funny that he happens to use one of KArmeli's 'Beyond' turntables that by consensus is regarded as brilliant - so I guess 'all roads do lead to Rome' likewise he has spoken highly of the Koetsu Coralstone and Zyx too.

I also respect Syntax. I find his candor refreshing and have written to discuss a few topics. He can be rather blunt, but as you write, his opinions seem to be based on direct experience. I'm glad to see that SME did not make that list above of some of his "classic" remarks. He also seems to prefer belt drive turntables.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Without getting into belt v direct v idler. I think that at whatever level of spend it's about implementation and horses for courses. I have heard good and poor implementation of all types. On completion of all my projects:
1. Jvc ql10
2. Sony tts 8000
3. Emt 950
4. Lenox fl 75

I will do a direct comparison with same arm and cartridge across the board. I have a feeling that as between drive types it might just be flavour of the month

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
.... but it's funny that he happens to use one of KArmeli's 'Beyond' turntables that by consensus is regarded as brilliant - so I guess 'all roads do lead to Rome' likewise he has spoken highly of the Koetsu Coralstone and Zyx too.

Thanks for all...especially for the brillant Kiss Of Death List :) I forgot it...
a few explanations about some.. units

dnz5m5i3oa6j32cfs.jpg

When I got the Seiki 5000 stock and I listened to my first record, I was very disappointed. Thin in volume, lifeless and totally boring. It did replace my Kuzma Reference which was a piece of useless and now I got something a touch better. It became better when I solved the reflections from the platter into the record. Then it became listenable (based on my kind of Standard) and after some serious modifications it turned into something outstanding. But it was a lot of thinking neccessary to get the best out of it... But stock? Overrated. My Basis Debut blew it away in every second of the day....
Koetsu
I still think that the wood bodies are good compensation for harsh Systems (Goldmund, FM Acoustics, Clearaudio ...) to make them comfortable for more than 15 minutes. They are also a super match for these rattling Rim- and Direct Drive Turntables. The stone bodies are indeed a separate chapter. Don't ask me why, but they offer a kind of sonic realness, hard to explain. Unfortunately even better with Diamond cantilever. But, very demanding for Arms to get the best out of it. My worst match was with Triplanar, best FR-66s.

Zyx
Yes, they are good. Good sound and not tricky for Arms

But, as usual, each his own

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing